Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major United Policy Changes Announced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fly18725
We have no right to expect United to publicly "come clean" about UA3411. For one, there's on-going litigation which limits United to speaking generally about customer service changes. T
Exactly. UA can't "come clean" (whatever that means in this context) until all litigation is over.

Originally Posted by BearX220
It will actually force UA to reengineer booking practices so VDB situations are much less frequent.
This. Better to work harder at preventing overbooking in the first place.

Originally Posted by belynch
I think United is finally saying the right things but ultimately while I agree a minority of pax are a problem; there's a minority of employees who view every pax as a problem. That needs to be eliminated.

Until that sub-culture of treating customers as inconveniences go away United will have this stigma. United has attempted to invest in customer service training but besides a short-term improvement I feel like things have reverted back.
Also this. Unless Oscar can find a way to change the attitudes of the minority of his front line employees who are toxic, he's going to have repeat experiences of this nightmare.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I hate the proposed bidding system for VDBs. It's more lucrative the way it is now.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
No.

When you offer an entire plane ever increasing amounts, someone is going to say "yes" well before $10k. It is a very effective, reasonable solution. It allows the individual passengers to choose the level of compensation needed to give up their particular seat.
Yep. Actually, it doesn't matter what the stated maximum is, as long as it's far beyond what the lowest bidder will take. And on a plane full of 100+ people, there will always be someone who is retired, who is a college student and makes less than $2000 a month, etc., and the compensation will quickly become irresistible even at the $3k level. That person bites, and everyone else stays.

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
This too will fail. Let's say you're flying out of HKG in business class, and most people pay some $5K for that flight anyway. Then they had to replace a 77W with a 772 for operational reasons, losing 12 Polaris seats. Flight was to be full, and there is a typhoon barreling in on HKG soon, odds are there will be no flights for the next two days, on any airline. Do you really think they will get 12 volunteers to give up their Polaris seats and wait out the typhoon in HKG for a few days for a mere $10K? Not for $10K, probably not. Perhaps for $25K or $50K you can get your 12 volunteers, but the agents can't go over $10K. So now what? IDB and law enforcement? Cue the youtube video.
I absolutely would volunteer, and I would volunteer for...well, I'd certainly volunteer if they refunded my ticket cost entirely and still took me back home in the future, so I'd volunteer for about $3K. If they pay for hotel and other stuff, I'd probably volunteer for much less than that. I've experienced tropical cyclones before, but only up to tropical storm strength. I'd like to see what a typhoon/hurricane is like, just so I can say I've been through it. Places like HKG/TPE that experience things like this frequently are probably some of the safest places to ride out a storm, so...I absolutely would volunteer.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

While all these failure scenarios are unlikely, you only need one of them to happen every year or two for a social media bashfest.
All extreme situations that would be problems for any airlines regardless of their policies.

W & B is a safety issue, but I doubt LEO's will ever be called to remove pax in that situation if they can't get enough VDB. Just return to the gate and deplane everyone, only allowing the ones on that are NOT going to be IDB'd.

Downgauge situations would be identified and dealt with prior to boarding the aircraft. So, not sure how interesting the youtube video would be of upset passengers berating GA's for something that is out of their control
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RockinRon
The next few months could be quite lucrative for VDBs until they iron out the details. I can also see many infrequent fliers holding out for $10k thinking that's going to be the initial offer. People will see $$$$ to be had, even if vouchers.
The bid at check-in system as implemented by Delta gives a carrier a lot of information about how passengers value their time for that specific flight - and well before boarding starts.

Let's say it's a 160-passenger 737-800, and everyone checking in by web/app/kiosk (100 people?) gets the 'overbooked' notice and a solicitation to volunteer. Maybe 15 bid. The carrier can review the bids (and save the data for later analysis across day of week/time of day/route to massage overbooking algorithms against last-minute fares). That's a lot of data being aggregated across ~5,000 flights a day. Of 15 bids, maybe the carrier needs 3 volunteers - easy, peasy. The computers could 'rank' the 15 bidders across not just bid price but ease of rerouting, need for baggage redirect, and other factors. It all can be much less work for GAs, frankly.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by halls120
Unless Oscar can find a way to change the attitudes of the minority of his front line employees who are toxic, he's going to have repeat experiences of this nightmare.
Biggest single issue, bar none.

It was a fatal messaging error for Oscar to lead with a blind endorsement of his workforce -- when most of us familiar with UA know the workforce includes so many saboteurs.

And I don't know how many lofty policy pronouncements from atop Wacker it'll take to alter the miserable ground-level DNA at United. I don't think Oscar can fix it; I don't know if anyone can. But Oscar doesn't drive the United brand, day to day. Those employees do.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Anyone who sees this as negative or not far enough isn't being realistic, IMO. This is a positive change for customers overall, assuming it's executed properly.

All these odd scenarios about unseating someone for a FAM or using a cellphone after the door is shut don't really fit.

What made the Dao situation so rare was that a deadhead crew was booked close to takeoff time. UA has separately changed that policy. But in 99.9% of cases, customers will NOT be seated on the plane when either VDB or IDB occur (weight & balance on UX excluded).

In the examples I referenced above...a FAM shouldn't be assigned after a flight is boarded, and if in the rare case it happens, the hope here is that VDB of up to $10K would fix it.

If someone is using a cellphone on taxi, is asked to turn it off, and refuses to comply, this is not a VDB/IDB issue. It's a customer willfully and knowingly refusing to follow UA's posted rules, and that person should be removed from the plane.

Now, if this turns into a Dutch auction for VDB, maybe that's bad for some customers. It doesn't bother me, I don't make my travel plans with the intention of being VDB'd anyway. If I don't get the high amount I put in, I'm happy to fly my original flight.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Yawn. Until they are able to change the culture and actually empower their front line employees (the way DL does) nothing will change. This isn't a new problem and while I wish Oscar all the best, the toxic culture continues to be one of the biggest thorns in UA's side and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The pre-bid system does of course make tremendous sense - never understood why this wasn't implemented on UA. Seems like an easy implementation and quick way to get data and solve this problem and understand the comp levels for future VDB/IDB on specific routes. There are occasional reports on the DL forum of them actually pro-actively offering VDBs as well and collecting this data at the customer level might help them do that successfully in the future as well (person X always seems willing to take a bump on the 6pm RDU - EWR flight, if it's oversold let's see if we can get him to take the 9pm instead in exchange for a voucher before even getting to the airport).
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Hey so does Basic Economy have a slogan yet?
Yes, but it contains words you can't type on FT.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:49 am

It's a good start, but it won't solve their problems.

What happens when our good Dr. Dao is sitting in 2B and a FAM comes along and demands 2B? FAM is security, but operates undercover and can't really say he's security without blowing his cover, so to Dr. Dao that FAM is just another passenger who wants his seat. But the airline knows this is a security matter, so they call the LEOs, and they will again force Dr. Dao out. Cue the youtube video.
In this situation, the GA now has $9,200 more they can offer to get one person in F to give up their seat. Odds are, someone will bite.

Or when the w&b and dispatch sheets come in after boarding and the captain decides more fuel is needed, putting them overweight and they need to remove N pax. Ask for volunteers, can't get enough. Identify people to involuntarily deplane. They refuse, and it's a safety issue (plane too heavy). Call the LEOs, cue the youtube video.
Same situation as above. If you're deboarding Y pax, there's bound to be at least a few people willing to take a couple grand for the next flight. Maybe not $800, but I don't know of many that will balk if the flight that cost them $300 is now giving them $3K in vouchers.

This too will fail. Let's say you're flying out of HKG in business class, and most people pay some $5K for that flight anyway. Then they had to replace a 77W with a 772 for operational reasons, losing 12 Polaris seats. Flight was to be full, and there is a typhoon barreling in on HKG soon, odds are there will be no flights for the next two days, on any airline. Do you really think they will get 12 volunteers to give up their Polaris seats and wait out the typhoon in HKG for a few days for a mere $10K? Not for $10K, probably not. Perhaps for $25K or $50K you can get your 12 volunteers, but the agents can't go over $10K. So now what? IDB and law enforcement? Cue the youtube video.
In this case, it would be known before boarding, so there'd be no video. What would most likely end up happening are discussions with J pax as to who's willing to fly Y+voucher just to get out of there. Then UA will just VDB/IDB enough Y pax to balance it out.

This too will fail when there is a massive breakdown (such as IT failure, strike, or large snowstorm) simply because the "customer solutions team" will be overwhelmed and unable to cope with the volume. If gate agents and phone agent have to go to the customer solutions team, the bottleneck with clog everything up. Flights won't dispatch on time because the gate agents can't get volunteers unless the volunteers have alternatives, which can't be gotten without this customer solutions team. What UA should do instead is empower more staff (gate agents, reservations agent) to be creative and/or be allowed to accept customers' creative solutions.
Probably, but look at how short-lasting the negative PR hit was for DL's cluster a few weeks ago. There'll be a major issue but only the people directly involved will care after a week, and from a PR standpoint, that's good enough.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by ntr91
Probably, but look at how short-lasting the negative PR hit was for DL's cluster a few weeks ago.
I think United, and this incident, is substantially responsible from stealing the anti-consumer spotlight from Delta in that particular instance.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
  • Limit use of law enforcement to safety and security issues only.
  • Not require customers seated on the plane to give up their seat involuntarily unless safety or security is at risk.
So a DYKWIA decides they deserve to sit in your F or E+ or exit row seat and refuses to move. UA can ask them to move but they refuse. They also cannot call the cops because there is no "safety or security" issue. You are now left going to the back.

Can't find the thread. I recall this actually happened to someone years ago where some lady helped herself to his F seat and he had to sit in the back. He chose not to delay the flight and just sit in the back. The DYKWIA always wins while the rest of us have to suffer.

• Increase customer compensation incentives for voluntary denied boarding up to $10,000.
This will cause people to hold out for higher compensation. Maybe not $10000 but now that there is a published number, people can gauge. Overall the process is not much different than before. GA can go up to a certain number, then gets approval to go higher.

• Ensure crews are booked onto a flight at least 60 minutes prior to departure
  • Reduce the amount of overbooking.
This will just increase delays and cancellations down the line. Better to inconvenience hundreds of people rather than a handfull.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
This will cause people to hold out for higher compensation. Maybe not $10000 but now that there is a published number, people can gauge. Overall the process is not much different than before. GA can go up to a certain number, then gets approval to go higher.
I don't see why it would. There are no minimums or maximums for the sale price of a house. But you don't see bidders holding out to try to get the seller to lower the price, because they're afraid that if they do, another bidder will get it.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
For the VDB bidding, how does the Delta system work? I will say my $ compensation depends Heavily on what the potential alternatives are, but I'm not sure how an automated process can actually show a reasonable set of those options.

Smart business move by the way, find a bar to keep people happy and avoid IDB. unless they still choose to IDB people because it will be less than the $ people volunteer. Tough for us to play the auction system at the gate too. Plus, as others have mentioned in the thread, generates a lot of data to mine later on.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Biggest single issue, bar none.

It was a fatal messaging error for Oscar to lead with a blind endorsement of his workforce -- when most of us familiar with UA know the workforce includes so many saboteurs.

And I don't know how many lofty policy pronouncements from atop Wacker it'll take to alter the miserable ground-level DNA at United. I don't think Oscar can fix it; I don't know if anyone can. But Oscar doesn't drive the United brand, day to day. Those employees do.
We don't know the intentions of employees and it is quite jaded to assume any employee is intentionally sabotaging a situation. Personally, I find the majority of United front line employees to be dedicated and capable. Sometimes they're having a bad day, but treating them with respect goes a long way to getting good service.

Are there employees that are lazy, incompetent or have bad attitudes? Heck yes. Anyone who has managed employees could recognize that corporate culture, unreasonable expectations, management perceived as disconnected or a host of other internal issues can contribute to these feelings. The first step to improving customer service is to improve the relationship with employees. While Oscar's internal communication on UA3411 fell flat externally, it is critical for management to reinforce that they have every employees' back every day (provided employees are following policies and procedures). Giving front line employees more discretion and additional tools can make the work more rewarding, increasing motivation and performance for many of these employees. As the culture, processes and procedures change, management can identify the employees who refuse to adopt and make the decision to get rid of these bad apples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.