Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

747 UD or 747 GF - is it worth $600+30,000 miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747 UD or 747 GF - is it worth $600+30,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by warrenw
Right - plus windows to look out of - I also don't think they allow you into the F lounge in the main terminal either.
You can use the F lounge in the main terminal. I think passengers sometimes misunderstand when the OZ lounge agents try to explain (not real strong in English) that you might prefer to use the satellite, since that's where the flight departs. But they will absolutely let you in.

The J lounge in the main terminal has the exact same view btw. With windows.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:26 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by gene2632
Side note, we did the return in under 10 hours rather than the scheduled 11 1/2 with the help of 178kph tailwind. Gave us a speed over ground of over 700kph...never knew that bird could move so fast.
Do you mean 700 mph? In any case, its the airspeed that counts (not the ground speed). But then again, IIRC it was a Chinese (or Taiwanese) airline that got a 747 (SP?) supersonic when they lost control for a while.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
If you have a window seat upper deck, you will have more storage than in Global First.

For either first or business in ICN at the OZ lounge, many agents will tell you that you can only visit one lounge, so that if you go to the one in the main terminal you cannot go to the one in the away terminal where UA departs. Just smile and ignore them. I've given up showing them the Star Alliance rules long ago.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Flew ICN-SFO in GF ($600 upfare no miles from A > P ), visited both F lounges in the main and sat terminal with no issue.
Thanks for the info! ICN is my home airport so every time I've flown out of the concourse but tried to use their lounge in the main terminal they shoo me away. Maybe that's only for Business, not sure. Or probably because they want you to be closer to your departing flight.

Originally Posted by keisari
Somebody that I loved very much used to say:
you must do it "para que no te cuenten". Loosely translated "so you can see it first hand and not have to rely on others telling you about it".
Solid advice. Very, very true.

Originally Posted by gene2632
Side note, we did the return in under 10 hours rather than the scheduled 11 1/2 with the help of 178kph tailwind. Gave us a speed over ground of over 700kph...never knew that bird could move so fast.
I've experienced this numerous times as well. Sometimes tailwind can be over 200kmph, that's mainly in the winter though.

Flying over is a different story, 100mph headwinds are the norm once you get closer to Japan.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 29, 2017 at 10:27 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Thanks for the info! ICN is my home airport so every time I've flown out of the concourse but tried to use their lounge in the main terminal they shoo me away. Maybe that's only for Business, not sure. Or probably because they want you to be closer to your departing flight.
They shoo you from the main terminal OZ biz lounge because it gets very crowded, and the remote OZ terminal lounge less so. FWIW there are reports on the OZ board that you can purchase an upgrade from the J to F lounge for about $30 USD. Might be worth it on a long layover or if you intend to spend significant time there.

IMO upgrading in this circumstance is not really worth it. Replacement cost of miles = $.02 so $600 + 30,000 miles = around $1,200. Upper deck 747 is cool enough. if it was OZ J to F on the A380 that would be a different story.

SL
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I mean, you could always ride on another airline to try it out. Those golden status handcuffs with UA on them aren't immovable
The vast majority of my flying is all domestic, so I don't get to fly 747's anyway. Who else has 744's?

I've only gotten to fly a 747 once. Last year, it was a LH 747-8i from FRA-EWR. Sprung for the upper deck - it was a great experience, but I think I'd like 1A better. That takeoff and landing view would be tremendous ...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: United/American/Vietnam
It is well worth it. First you are traveling on a low business class fare, years ago you could use the upgrade but that has gone the way of the dodo. Other benefits are there, especially if you have any long layover for a connecting flight. United First Class lounges, at departure areas or on layovers , if available, are far above the regular Red Carpet. I would definitely give it a try and see for yourself.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by SunLover
They shoo you from the main terminal OZ biz lounge because it gets very crowded, and the remote OZ terminal lounge less so. FWIW there are reports on the OZ board that you can purchase an upgrade from the J to F lounge for about $30 USD. Might be worth it on a long layover or if you intend to spend significant time there.

IMO upgrading in this circumstance is not really worth it. Replacement cost of miles = $.02 so $600 + 30,000 miles = around $1,200. Upper deck 747 is cool enough. if it was OZ J to F on the A380 that would be a different story.

SL
My home base is ICN so my time at the airport depends on how early I catch the bus. I might pay for the first lounge just for the experience sometime though. Thanks for the info!

When I called about using a GPU the 1K desk said that the cost to upgrade is $1,068. So at a $.02 valuation it makes more sense to pay in cash. I wouldn't want to drop over $1k just to sit in first though when I already am going to be sitting in a lie flat anyways.

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
The vast majority of my flying is all domestic, so I don't get to fly 747's anyway. Who else has 744's?

I've only gotten to fly a 747 once. Last year, it was a LH 747-8i from FRA-EWR. Sprung for the upper deck - it was a great experience, but I think I'd like 1A better. That takeoff and landing view would be tremendous ...
My only premium cabin 747-8 flight was on KAL. Window seat on the UD. I would do it again in a heartbeat, it was absolutely fantastic.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 30, 2017 at 1:38 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I've flown both a number of times and I think GF vs. upper-deck is a spectacular and foolish waste of money. If I had to think of a net worth where I wouldn't care about $600 + miles for the difference, it would be about >$100 million.

If you get a center seat in GF, it's actually worse than an upper-deck seat. It's worth less than 0 extra. I've actually foregone op-ups to middle GF seats to keep my upper deck seat several times in the past.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR LTGold, UA, AA, AS, DL, Global Entry & TSAPre✓
I have never flown GF and seat 1A is available. So for those seasoned vets out there who have flown GF many times before, would you do this deal? $600 plus 30K?
My personal opinion is it's steep for basically a cool window seat, but maybe I'm missing something?
In case you decide to upgrade after all: Is 1A the only window seat available? While the view *out the window* from 1A was unique, I did not enjoy the inside view the rest of the flight. Nothing but wall for multiple hours; and that was just ORD-LHR, I believe. I preferred 3A, even though my "neighbor" was a bit closer (but still pretty private), with some depth and other scenery when looking forward.
If you'll sleep (or read / watch) much of the flight, then 1A gives you the takeoff / landing views without the monotony of the close-in wall.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:46 am

At this point, UA 747 experiences are reaching the once-in-a-lifetime point. I loves me some UD action, but I would totally spend $600 + miles for 1A just to have done it while I had the chance.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by keisari
If you have the miles and the $600 will not make a difference in your retirement fund then absolutely go for it. The entire experience is different. The space is much better, usually the service is better and it is entirely a more personal and upscale experience.
Agreed! I was able to do this once (award Saver ticket SFO-HKG-SIN) and loved it. It's not often I get to sit in anything but E+ these days, so even the business class seats on the 747 are a nice treat. I'd love to sit in Global First once more before the 747s are retired ...

Originally Posted by TigerWolf
It is well worth it. First you are traveling on a low business class fare, years ago you could use the upgrade but that has gone the way of the dodo. Other benefits are there, especially if you have any long layover for a connecting flight. United First Class lounges, at departure areas or on layovers , if available, are far above the regular Red Carpet. I would definitely give it a try and see for yourself.
I think the UC in the SFO INTL terminal is now under construction (still open, but space is limited) so as TigerWolf states, the United First Class lounge might be worth it if there is a layover at SFO if you do need to relax before/between flights.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:16 pm

Absolutely go for GF. The only thing better than the upper deck of a 744 is the nose of a 744. Take this opportunity to sit in F in the nose of this wonderful aircraft, and enjoy one of life's great pleasures while you still can! Price of $600 + 30k miles is a bargain^
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
IMHO It's the I haven't done it before experience over $$.
I checked flightmemory and discovered that I have 22 back of the bus, 14 Biz (all UD) and three GF flights. All three G were bumps from Biz where coach was oversold and status was bumped up. Would I contribute to UA to move up to GF? No not after having the experience.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:07 pm

Do it. I sat in 1A flying NRT-SFO on a UA 747 two years ago and while the food and service were no better than BF, the experience of spending the flight in the best seat in the house on a 747 made it particularly worthwhile. Especially now that the aircraft are to be retired, I'm very glad I had the opportunity to experience it and remember it fondly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.