FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 747 UD or 747 GF - is it worth $600+30,000 miles?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:44 am
warrenw

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by SunLover
They shoo you from the main terminal OZ biz lounge because it gets very crowded, and the remote OZ terminal lounge less so. FWIW there are reports on the OZ board that you can purchase an upgrade from the J to F lounge for about $30 USD. Might be worth it on a long layover or if you intend to spend significant time there.

IMO upgrading in this circumstance is not really worth it. Replacement cost of miles = $.02 so $600 + 30,000 miles = around $1,200. Upper deck 747 is cool enough. if it was OZ J to F on the A380 that would be a different story.

SL
My home base is ICN so my time at the airport depends on how early I catch the bus. I might pay for the first lounge just for the experience sometime though. Thanks for the info!

When I called about using a GPU the 1K desk said that the cost to upgrade is $1,068. So at a $.02 valuation it makes more sense to pay in cash. I wouldn't want to drop over $1k just to sit in first though when I already am going to be sitting in a lie flat anyways.

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
The vast majority of my flying is all domestic, so I don't get to fly 747's anyway. Who else has 744's?

I've only gotten to fly a 747 once. Last year, it was a LH 747-8i from FRA-EWR. Sprung for the upper deck - it was a great experience, but I think I'd like 1A better. That takeoff and landing view would be tremendous ...
My only premium cabin 747-8 flight was on KAL. Window seat on the UD. I would do it again in a heartbeat, it was absolutely fantastic.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 30, 2017 at 1:38 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote