Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

747 UD or 747 GF - is it worth $600+30,000 miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747 UD or 747 GF - is it worth $600+30,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by fly747first
NO, to me this would be a huge waste. UA has the worst international First product out there. If you really want to try First on the nose of a 747, save your miles and try to book a flight operated by a Lufthansa 747-800... truly an amazing F cabin in the nose of the aircraft.

Don't be fooled thinking the UA 744 is once in a life opportunity... the LH 747-800 is newer, more elegant and infinitely better overall.
I don't think I ever insinuated it's once in a lifetime... More of a do it so I can say that I've done it. I ended up going for it as posted above because it's one of my last UA 747 flights. I'm basically doing it for the window.

ICN-FRA does sometimes use the 747-8 but it's only in the summer and it gets PACKED so tix are always expensive. It'll be awhile before I fly first on that.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by fly747first
NO, to me this would be a huge waste. UA has the worst international First product out there. If you really want to try First on the nose of a 747, save your miles and try to book a flight operated by a Lufthansa 747-800... truly an amazing F cabin in the nose of the aircraft.

Don't be fooled thinking the UA 744 is once in a life opportunity... the LH 747-800 is newer, more elegant and infinitely better overall.
Now this, I wholeheartedly agree 100%

When using miles, many times, given the choice, I would rather fly NH biz over UA first (NRT-SFO and vv) just because the food is waaayyyyyy better! The dilemma is that they require the same amount of miles (80,000 for oneway saver BKK-NRT-SFO-PDX). That 30,000 miles goes towards 2/3 of the required miles. Unlike "cash & points" they offer at SPG hotels (almost always a good deal), cash & miles to 'upgrade' is, IMHO, never a good deal. Better to pay the fare difference from P or Z to D and use GPU. I've successfully smooth talked many agents (GS) into waiving the change fee, if there is one

As for LH First, I haven't personally tried it, but I book my partner's flight on LH (as opposed to UA) whenever I can (in C or D & 016 stock) and then use GPU to upgrade into O. 5/5 upgrades cleared so far this year, 1 on 346, 1 on 748, 3 on A380. If ON can be cleared upon booking, then UA would be preferred, because you earn that extra Lifetime miles flying UA metal, and a confirmed F seat in the hand is better than one in the bush
Old May 24, 2017, 12:28 am
Original Poster

In all my time flying I have never bought an award seat with miles, I just use miles to upgrade (or GPU, etc.) because my transpac flights are too valuable in terms of PQM's to waste it, if that makes sense. At least until I've made status for the year that is.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by kittiyut
Now this, I wholeheartedly agree 100%

As for LH First, I haven't personally tried it, but I book my partner's flight on LH (as opposed to UA) whenever I can (in C or D & 016 stock) and then use GPU to upgrade into O. 5/5 upgrades cleared so far this year, 1 on 346, 1 on 748, 3 on A380. If ON can be cleared upon booking, then UA would be preferred, because you earn that extra Lifetime miles flying UA metal, and a confirmed F seat in the hand is better than one in the bush
Demand your partner to take you on LH F! Threaten to go on a strike if your request is not honored within a couple months.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

standard MUA pricing?

Is there a rate table for MUA going J to F? $600+30K seems steep. I rarely (almost never) book business, but I believe I have been offered $75+15K on a P fare for TPAC. Is that just route dependent?
Old May 25, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Is there a rate table for MUA going J to F? $600+30K seems steep. I rarely (almost never) book business, but I believe I have been offered $75+15K on a P fare for TPAC. Is that just route dependent?
You can see them here if you select "Upgrade Awards"

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ardTravel.aspx

J->F is 30K-35K miles for TPAC. $600 co-pay for Z and P fares; no co-pay for D, C, or J fares.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
You can see them here if you select "Upgrade Awards"

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ardTravel.aspx

J->F is 30K-35K miles for TPAC. $600 co-pay for Z and P fares; no co-pay for D, C, or J fares.
Thanks—and odd, I'm sure that ($75+15k) was the offer, but I suppose it was a mistake.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Thanks—and odd, I'm sure that ($75+15k) was the offer, but I suppose it was a mistake.
That's the price for an intra-N. America, intra-S. Asia, or S. Asia to Japan J->F upgrade. Any chance it was one of those routes?
Old May 25, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
That's the price for an intra-N. America, intra-S. Asia, or S. Asia to Japan J->F upgrade. Any chance it was one of those routes?
It was an itinerary going domestic to TPAC, but obviously the domestic leg was already seated in F. The offer showed the upgrade only next to the TPAC portion and indicated it would clear immediately (ON available). I didn't try to take it, however, so not sure if it would have gone through properly.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Well, June 8th I took the flight. Seat 1K. Unfortunately it was practically one of the fastest flights from ICN-SFO in recent history as they were experiencing extremely strong tail winds.

Anyway, it was an awesome flight all around. The head purser was fantastic, the two flight attendants I interacted with were phenomenal, the food was decent, alcohol was free flowing, and the two gentlemen seated near me in 1A and 2K were a lot of fun to be around. So all in all, I would say it was absolutely worth the $600/30k miles.

About as forward facing as you can get! Although this is taken with my phone plastered up against the window. I was unable to get my head at an angle where I could see this.

Mt. Fuji! What was really cool was the captain came on and informed everybody to look out the window to see it - such a proactive captain and really, really cool that he did that.

I ordered the ribs - as my girlfriend would say, "it's not bad, but not good." Actually for airplane ribs they were pretty good, but not something I would necessarily drive to go eat on the ground.

And that's a wrap!

My last 747 flight will be October 19 ICN-SFO, I was trying to get First but right now I'm 16A on the UD. I'm not even getting an option to confirm into first with miles + cash right now it's only the waitlist even with all 12 seats available. I'm really hoping I can meet the captain and see the cockpit on this flight, I've never done it and it would be SO COOL to get to do that for my last flight.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:38 pm

Great photos Warren! Thank you so much for sharing.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I wish that United would get the 747-8i, but I know they won't. Too bad.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
I wish that United would get the 747-8i, but I know they won't. Too bad.
We can all dream....
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:11 pm

Well, June 8th I took the flight. Seat 1K. Unfortunately it was practically one of the fastest flights from ICN-SFO in recent history as they were experiencing extremely strong tail winds.
ICN-SFO is always too short. If I'm in premium cabin, I prefer 13-15hr flights. Enough time to sleep, eat, work, and of course, enjoy the plane
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:38 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

What routes remain on the 747? I'd like to take a few before they are gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.