Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has a process called Same Day Change.

You can attempt to change a flight within 24 hours of the original time and 24 hours of the new flight time (both conditions needs to be met). It requires your original fare class be available -- as you have an award flight, the same type of award needs to be available -- which may be a challenge. Especially more than a few hours prior to departure (discount fare classes tend to open up 3 hours prior to departure). But if it does become available you can make a confirmed change. You can do this without actually being at the airport.

If it does not become available, you can still try to do a Standby at the airport gate.

In either case, the confirmed change or a successful standby, there will be a fee (based on status). It is $75 if you have no status. The Standby case is not charged unless you are successful, and there is no fare class requirement -- just an empty seat in your cabin.

For more, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...7-forward.html

Thanks thats very helpful info.

When doing the same day standby at the airport does it matter if I have luggage or not?

Also if I did it, at what point would I know it be confirmed or not? Is this something they can tell me at the checkin counter or I would have to wait till im at the gate? Would I be able to make sure I could get an aisle seat?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyamato
When doing the same day standby at the airport does it matter if I have luggage or not?
Same-Day Confirmed Change (SDC) is allowed with luggage, provided that you don't miss the check-in deadline, or -- if your luggage has already been checked -- that you give them at least 1 hour in order to allow them to move your bag. If possible, SDC before check-in to reduce the chances of a missing bag.

They will generally not allow you to standby with checked luggage.

Originally Posted by kyamato
Also if I did it, at what point would I know it be confirmed or not? Is this something they can tell me at the checkin counter or I would have to wait till im at the gate? Would I be able to make sure I could get an aisle seat?
SDC can be done whenever there's space available in the same fare class you already have. Prior to checking a bag, it can be done through the app or kiosk. If you've already checked the bag, you'll need a gate agent or customer service agent to do it.

Standby, which just requires a seat in the cabin, won't be processed until they know for sure that a seat will be available, which will be at the gate (not the counter). If the flight isn't full, they can start to process standby seats when check-in closes (30 minutes prior to departure for most domestic flights). If the flight is full, they'll have to wait to see if anyone fails to show, which means they'll wait until 15 minutes prior to departure.

The way standby works is that the gate agent will assign you a seat, call you to the podium, and then confirm your reservation when you arrive. They do that because some people may go onto the standby list but then end up away from the gate. They won't put you onto the flight unless you're physically present and ready to board. At that point, it's theoretically possible for you to decline the request if there's no aisle seat available.

That said, your best chance for an aisle seat is if a couple of premier customers get upgraded at the gate. It's much more likely for a standby customer to get a middle seat than it is an aisle or window. (Of course, if the earlier flight is also operated by United Express, there's no chance of a middle seat...)
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Waiting to manual clear risks others clearing. Since you only want a window seat, waitlist until all windows are taken -- and if not cleared, pull the waitlist.
Done and done. 2 of 12 seats are taken, flight is F9, and business is wiiiiide open - hoping it clears in a week or two as the date draws closer.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
When a flight is diverted (Im on UA518, ORD-PDX, currently diverted to FSD) is there a way for me to see details about its recovery? Im wondering if the crew is close to timing out, etc.

Also, out of curiosity, will I get 2 PQS? (ORD-FSD; FSD-PDX)?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by getagb
When a flight is diverted (I’m on UA518, ORD-PDX, currently diverted to FSD) is there a way for me to see details about its recovery? I’m wondering if the crew is close to timing out, etc. ...
Crew details are not public information. Purposed new schedule is available on UA's Flight Status.

Originally Posted by getagb
... will I get 2 PQS? (ORD-FSD; FSD-PDX)?
You just get credit for your purchased itin.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-airport.html
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:34 pm

SFO to BWI on a T class fare is only 1,500 PQM? Is that correct? Seems like it should be at least 2500+.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MrFrosty
SFO to BWI on a T class fare is only 1,500 PQM? Is that correct? Seems like it should be at least 2500+.
Are you sure you are looking at PQMs, that looks more like a RDM (award miles) for that flight.

PQMs is based on flight distance, UA uses 2,457 miles.

RDMs is based in flight cost (PQDs) and for non-status traveler is 5xPQD. (7x for Silver, 8x for Gold, 9X for Plat, 11 x for 1K/GS)
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where do you see 1500? Assuming you're crediting to MileagePlus, you get at least 100% for all fare buckets except N (basic economy - no credit). If you're on the nonstop, you should get 2457 PQM for that route, which is what I see if I go in and do a search.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Where do you see 1500? Assuming you're crediting to MileagePlus, you get at least 100% for all fare buckets except N (basic economy - no credit). If you're on the nonstop, you should get 2457 PQM for that route, which is what I see if I go in and do a search.
Thanks for additional info

I am only *S.
I departed on 8/16 and returned today 8/21
I thought the PQM for 8/16 would have posted by now but all I see is 1526 under activity for travel on 8/16. Does the RT need to be completed before all of the PQM are posted?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am only *S.
I thought the PQM for 8/16 would have posted by now but all I see is 1526 under activity for travel on 8/16. Does the RT need to be completed before all of the PQM are posted?
I agree with WineCountryUA. I think you're looking at your redeemable miles (RDM) for that flight -- the ones you can use for travel. As a UA Silver, you earn 7 RDM per dollar spent, excluding taxes and fees (aka Premier Qualifying Dollars, or PQD). 1526 is 7x218, and $218 sounds like the right range for a T fare on that route.

When you click through to your account on the web, click "View activity since my last statement." There, you should see a row for each flight, with six columns. Award Miles are for RDMs, and Premier Qualification covers PQMs. I predict you'll see 1090 Base Award Miles, 436 Bonus Award Miles, 1526 Total Award Miles; 2457 Premier Qualification Miles, 1 Premier Qualification Segment, and $218 Premier Qualification Dollars.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

I am only *S.
No, PQM from UA flights post on the second day following the completion of the flight segment; no need to complete the ticket. What was the fare class (booking code) of the ticket you flew? Sounds suspiciously like BE.

ed. saw it was supposedly T, and jsloan has a more thorough suggestion.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:33 am

Does UA automatically issue a refund when it cancels a flight or do I have to do something?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I thought I would retain gold status again this year, but due to some additional upcoming travel plans before the end of the year, and if my calculations are correct, I would be less than 400 PQM and less than less than $950 PQD from platinum level.

Assuming I have no additional work travel as planned, are additional benefits worth the additional spend to chase platinum on my own?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:54 am

For those that have traveled IAD-HNL in business class, is that cabin typically pretty full? Trying to gauge my chances of getting waitlisted for a business class saver award.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I thought I would retain gold status again this year, but due to some additional upcoming travel plans before the end of the year, and if my calculations are correct, I would be less than 400 PQM and less than less than $950 PQD from platinum level.

Assuming I have no additional work travel as planned, are additional benefits worth the additional spend to chase platinum on my own?
Different for everyone, but personally I would go for it just to get boarding group 1. It's pretty demoralizing getting to the gate and seeing a decent line a BG1 and what looks like a popular amusement park ride or nightclub line for BG2.

The 400 PQM should be easy. The $950 might be a little more challenging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.