Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few cases like IDB and some others, UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but in some cases may provide a goodwill gesture.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

If you have been told inflight to go to this site or received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card, go to the Customer Appreciation website first before contacting Customer Care.

In some cases you may received a direct e-mail, from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team, making a compensation/goodwill offer with a link to accept.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference, depending how you use the miles/ETCs.

For those booking international premium cabins, miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm. Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card.

ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY. An ETC might have greater value for many domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your concerns may fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

Please note - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not usually handle your complaint unless your complaint involves in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

9. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

10. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm bringing a nail and a camera on my next flight!

Joking aside, yes, I'm surprised you got that much! Take it and stow the whining - I think the offer is more than fair since UA is taking your word for it! The compensation would have been much more if you had actually been hurt!

!
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I'm with OIL TRASH on this one; In this current environment, $600 TC, 30,000 miles or "a better seat" is a generous offer. If the "better seat" means Business Class on your return International Flight, take the upgrade !! If not, take the $600 TC.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Juanadd
Hi!

I wanted to get your feedback on the following situation that happen to me in a united international flight:

In the meal service I was given a Vegetarian meal that had a considerable sized metal nail in the middle of the food (have pics of it). Thankfully I spotted it! but it could have gone really wrong!

I escalated this with United customer care, they are offering me the following as goodwill compensation:
-A better seat in my flight back (unclear if is economy plus, business or first)
-$600 or 30.000 miles

Does this seems as a fair compensation for a situation in which I could have been injured while flying in the middle of the Atlantic ?

I have no baseline here.. i'm not sure this is proper compensation for putting my health at risk !

Thanks!

I would also contact TSA and they can look into the catering company as a Nail is one of the items you can't bring with you on the plane.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by gpicur
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I'm with OIL TRASH on this one; In this current environment, $600 TC, 30,000 miles or "a better seat" is a generous offer. If the "better seat" means Business Class on your return International Flight, take the upgrade !! If not, take the $600 TC.
Lottery winner. Especially if you were upgraded in the first place.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Hi!

I wanted to get your feedback on the following situation that happen to me in a united international flight:

In the meal service I was given a Vegetarian meal that had a considerable sized metal nail in the middle of the food (have pics of it). Thankfully I spotted it! but it could have gone really wrong!

I escalated this with United customer care, they are offering me the following as goodwill compensation:
-A better seat in my flight back (unclear if is economy plus, business or first)
-$600 or 30.000 miles

Does this seems as a fair compensation for a situation in which I could have been injured while flying in the middle of the Atlantic ?

I have no baseline here.. i'm not sure this is proper compensation for putting my health at risk !

Thanks!
If you have your neighbor's contact information, you should escape up. It is totally unacceptable for having mental nail in your meal.
Good luck.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you have your neighbor's contact information, you should escape up. It is totally unacceptable for having mental nail in your meal.
Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, what do you mean with "you should escape up"
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
In the meal service I was given a Vegetarian meal that had a considerable sized metal nail in the middle of the food (have pics of it).

What about a nail isn't vegetarian?

Seriously, you'd be surprised at what you can eat. One of my toddlers ate a glass Christmas tree ornament and I ate some broken pyrex that got into my food. In both cases the ER sent us home, telling us to come back when we have a real problem.

Extremely generous compensation in my opinion.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by br2k
TATL flight canceled (MX) after 5 hour delay, got rerouted (to non *A airline, no lounge access, bad seats), was at destination 12 hours late. No offer of any kind, asked CS for something - nothing so far. If this is how new United rolls...
Had to ask, got 10000 miles for this. IMHO this is not sufficient given the level of inconvenience and problems they caused.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
10-FEB UA 1967 EWR-CLE was 4:11 late due to mx/aircraft change.

Non-status pax offered 5,000 miles or $100 voucher via appreciation website.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Question IFE & Seat Malfunction

On flight UA180 today from Hong Kong to Newark (~15 hours) the seats had no power. IFE was not functional and the seats could not be adjusted electronically - the flight attendants had to manually adjust the seats. United has offered 6,250 miles or $125 travel voucher, and directed passengers to a united website to redeem. I booked the itinerary through ANA for 95,000 miles (this was the return leg) - is this offer the best compensation United will offer?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by OptimismPrime
On flight UA180 today from Hong Kong to Newark (~15 hours) the seats had no power. IFE was not functional and the seats could not be adjusted electronically - the flight attendants had to manually adjust the seats. United has offered 6,250 miles or $125 travel voucher, and directed passengers to a united website to redeem. I booked the itinerary through ANA for 95,000 miles (this was the return leg) - is this offer the best compensation United will offer?
I took EWR-HKG a week ago and had the same issues... except I didn't get any comp. People were not happy with the IFE/power/seat issue. Even the WiFi failed a few hours in.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:15 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by OptimismPrime
Without status I think that's the best you'll get. I've received 10k miles / $250 for similar issues or delays in the past as a 1K
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: United 1K/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Any thoughts on this?

Synopsis:
-I'm 1K
-DEL-EWR flight cancelled (on a Sunday in late Jan.) due to the blizzard
-I was in Y on GPU waitlist
-We were notified the night before so I didn't go to the airport as I wasn't sure that any UA agents would be there
-As soon as it was cancelled I called the 1K line and was re-booked on Tuesday for DEL-FRA-EWR via LH/UA. My UA upgrade cleared and I was able to use miles to confirm the upgrade on LH. Since this was roughly 3 a.m., I went back to sleep.
-Woke up a few hours later to find new etickets and a message from the local (Delhi) UA agent that the flight (the original Sunday one) had been cancelled and I had been rebooked for FRIDAY.
-Went into my record and sure enough, my Tuesday flights were gone and I was on the direct Friday flight in Y(!!!)
-Called UA. Agents were horrified that this had happened, but the Tuesday flights were gone.
-They put me on the Wednesday (11:30) p.m. flight in R
-The Wednesday flight was delayed 8 hours for pilot rest, finally departing Thursday a.m.
-Upon landing, had an email with a $350 e-cert for the delay

Now Sunday through Tuesday...I get it. It was a major storm and things happen. No problem here. However, I don't find Tuesday-Thursday acceptable. I had a confirmed reservation and it was cancelled by no fault of my own. In total-four extra hotel nights expense.

I completed the survey I received upon arrival (via email) and got no response. I sent a tweet to UA and they asked me to DM them. No response. Finally I sent an email to 1K voice with the various pieces of documentation, including the hotel bill. I only asked for 2 nights compensation (since I didn't figure I'd have a shot for the first two nights since it was weather related). I also stated politely that I did not think the $350 e-cert was sufficient.

Four days later and I've just heard back from them. They were, unfortunately, very unapologetic. Literally-no apology for my trouble. They agreed to pay just one night hotel and three meals. No offer of anything else. They also further added that it wasn't their agent that did the re-booking, but rather an automatic process done by their system. Regardless of who or what did it, it shouldn't have been done as they cancelled a valid reservation (and yes, the Tuesday flight did proceed as scheduled).

Thoughts on this? Were my expectations too high or is this pretty insufficient?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:37 pm

2/16 UA78 ICN-NRT canceled MX (first leg of ICN-NRT-IAH-DFW);
Rebooked on 6pm SFO flight that was delayed 4+ hours due to late inbound (mx w/plane swap);
Ended up missing connection to DFW, rebooked to ORD (in Y) since we had DFW-ORD tix for Wednesday (2/17).

$125 e-cert or 6,250 for me (Plat), nothing for companion (Silver) on P fare.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ecosse3
Thoughts on this? Were my expectations too high or is this pretty insufficient?
Too high.

UA does not extend its goodwill based on the extent of your inconvenience. You may have a better chance if you are confirmed in J. Other than that $350 is reasonable per UA.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Agree

Originally Posted by garykung
Too high.

UA does not extend its goodwill based on the extent of your inconvenience. You may have a better chance if you are confirmed in J. Other than that $350 is reasonable per UA.
I have to agree here.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.