Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any UA pilots or mechanics on FT: why so many MX this year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any UA pilots or mechanics on FT: why so many MX this year?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Are there any UA pilots or mechanics on FT that can answer this question: why does UA have so many MX delays and cancellations nowadays? I know that us armchair pilots/mechanics have our opinions, so no need to add those to this thread -- would prefer that we not regurgitate this. Rather, would prefer to hear something from actual UA employees. Thanks!
Though many will try, this thread will neither prove nor disprove the idea that there is union action contributing to the current poor state of operational performance.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Though many will try, this thread will neither prove nor disprove the idea that there is union action contributing to the current poor state of operational performance.
I agree. It is every bit as likely to be the result of UA's stated goal of 80% is "good enough."
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The concentration of widebody mx issues at two hubs (EWR, IAD), which just exploded in June, during an ongoing labor dispute with mechanics' union, seems more than coincidental.

No direct evidence, but we might call this circumstantial.
What about SFO, IAH, and ORD? I would think some action by a work group wouldn't be so concentrated to just a few stations.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The concentration of widebody mx issues at two hubs (EWR, IAD), which just exploded in June, during an ongoing labor dispute with mechanics' union, seems more than coincidental.
It's not just an EWR(3%)/IAD(4%) problem, DEN/IAH are 2% widebody cancels this month and ORD/SFO/NRT are all over 1%.

DL's worst hub, SEA, is under 1%.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
It's not just an EWR(3%)/IAD(4%) problem, DEN/IAH are 2% widebody cancels this month and ORD/SFO/NRT are all over 1%.
I believe the numbers show that the big increase in mx has been at EWR and IAD. Which itself suggests a work issue, b/c you would expect an even distribution across hubs if this was a series of random events.

The disparity with DL also seems to suggest something far out of the ordinary.

Originally Posted by BB2220
What about SFO, IAH, and ORD? I would think some action by a work group wouldn't be so concentrated to just a few stations.
Well this is pure speculation . . . but it is not uncommon for localized workforces to be more or less radicalized than those in other locales. Unions are personality driven.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The disparity with DL also seems to suggest something far out of the ordinary.
I wouldn't think that's necessarily true. DL is far more operationally focused than UA, and it shows in their internal goals.

Delta has an internal goal to not cancel any flights (and they're often successful several days of the quarter). United has a goal to not exceed 80% on time performance, and they generally meet that as well.

I would expect DL to have better metrics than UA, given their stated focuses.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:44 am

Well this is pure speculation . . . but it is not uncommon for localized workforces to be more or less radicalized than those in other locales. Unions are personality driven.
Well if it's a radicalized local then I think it's unfair to characterize the entire work group as engaging in a job action, which is what was suggested by the OP
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by channa
United has a goal to not exceed 80% on time performance, and they generally meet that as well.
No they don't. UA is in the low 70s.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
No they don't. UA is in the low 70s.
Their goal is to not exceed 80%. They are meeting their goal.

If UA goes above 80%, they would not be meeting their goal.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:05 am

Only United . . .
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:44 am

That is not the goal.

You know that is not the goal.

Yet, a statement of public record continues to be intentionally misquoted to provide a very different meaning. "...reliability above 80% have diminishing returns..."
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
i.e., it's a perfect thread for the UA FT forum.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BB2220
Well if it's a radicalized local then I think it's unfair to characterize the entire work group as engaging in a job action, which is what was suggested by the OP
Maybe technically correct. I worked for a large construction equipment company as a summer job during college, and was forced to join the UAW (no longer a rule) while they were not under contract.

It was not unusual for a job action to be ordered from the top to specific locations, sometimes even rotating the locations. One local might call in 50% sick for a day, or maybe one would be asked to under-perform for a week. It was then up to the local bosses to carry out the action. There was rarely anything big at my location and the local leader didn't seem too involved, but we heard stories about the other locations.

I would say we were all participating in a job action, just to different degrees.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:40 am
Suspended

Does United ever address these numbers in the quarterly announcements? Isn't there one coming up now that second quarter is ending?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

^

(While they may not be trying to NOT exceed 80%...it's a POV truly divorced from reality to believe that when your company's leader says basically "it's not worth it" to do better than a mediocre target, that there will actually be sustained attempts to beat it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.