Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any UA pilots or mechanics on FT: why so many MX this year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any UA pilots or mechanics on FT: why so many MX this year?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
So yes, Delta has 0.03% more 6 hour delays or 0.02% more 12 hour delays than UA. Which is not even close to the 0.8% cancellations UA has over DL.
Thanks for this! Fascinating! In fact UA has about 25 times as many cancellations as Delta has these DL delays.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mduell
Since it's hard to define a "next day" delay (is 11:59p to 12:01a a "next day" delay while 5a to 11p delay is not?), let's look at "extreme" delays which I'll arbitrarily define as arriving 6h (A360) or 12h (A720) late.

Stats over the last year:

Code:
 airline |  a360  |  a720   |  cxl  
---------+--------+---------+-------
 DAL     | 99.87% |  99.98% | 0.48%
 UAL     | 99.90% | 100.00% | 1.29%
So yes, Delta has 0.03% more 6 hour delays or 0.02% more 12 hour delays than UA. Which is not even close to the 0.8% cancellations UA has over DL.

DAL cxl + 6h delay = 0.61%
UAL cxl + 6h delay = 1.39%
Any chance you could add in AA to the table? Again, to many of "us" that's the more interesting comparison thx
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
It is intellectually dishonest (e.g. it ignores the mathematical construct of unit revenue measures) to say Delta's unit revenue has increased and Delta's operational performance has improved, therefore unit revenue is correlated to operational performance.
I don't think anyone said that.

I said that DL's operational performance a factor in DL's revenue premium.

If you recall, PMUA used to be #1 ON TIME, and PMUA also used to have the strongest revenue premium among U.S. network carriers.

Again, it would be difficult to believe that PMUA's strong operational performance was not a factor in PMUA's strong revenue.

Also, it would be difficult to believe that high-value flyers are attracted to a carrier with poor reliability. If they're as important as their high-value tickets would indicate, their time is no doubt quite valuable. Why would someone like that give their business to a less reliable travel provider if a more reliable one were available?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by channa
Also, it would be difficult to believe that high-value flyers are attracted to a carrier with poor reliability. If they're as important as their high-value tickets would indicate, their time is no doubt quite valuable. Why would someone like that give their business to a less reliable travel provider if a more reliable one were available?
And it may be becoming more important for price-conscious flyers as flight search programs are more and more using reliability data. For example, the new Google Flights (growing very quickly) highlights in red letters that "this flight often arrives xxxx minutes late." If price is similar, which would you choose if you had no loyalty? The DL one with no warning, or the UA one that says it often arrives 1 hour late (that would be a good day)?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scruffair
And it may be becoming more important for price-conscious flyers as flight search programs are more and more using reliability data. For example, the new Google Flights (growing very quickly) highlights in red letters that "this flight often arrives xxxx minutes late." If price is similar, which would you choose if you had no loyalty? The DL one with no warning, or the UA one that says it often arrives 1 hour late (that would be a good day)?
Good point.

And also don't forget that the loyalty factor that you mention is becoming less and less significant these days.

With redemption rates increasing, and perks decreasing, customers are likely less inclined to inconvenience themselves for points these days.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:18 pm

I don't think anyone said that.

I said that DL's operational performance a factorin DL's revenue premium.
You said result, which implies correlation. I agree with you that saying 'result' was a mistake.

If you recall, PMUA used to be #1 ON TIME, and PMUA also used to have the strongest revenue premium among U.S. network carriers.

Again, it would be difficult to believe that PMUA's strong operational performance was not a factor in PMUA's strong revenue.

Without accepting or validating the positions you're presenting, I would point out that the flaw with correlating or linking operational performance to revenue is the variability of operational performance. You're not going to gain or loose a revenue premium on competitive route AAA-BBB (non-stop or via CCC or DDD) with a few days or months of having the best OT rates. There needs to be a systematic shift in operational performance over an extended period of time to attract new customers, who may or may not pay more based on the competitive environment, or drive existing customers away.

United's recent operational performance is bad. People try to blame it, and every other little change they don't like, on the mythical 'revenue premium' while ignoring fundamental issues like the mathematical construct of unit revenue measurements. Let's stick with a conversation that's relevant and constructive: why is operational performance sucking so much and what steps can we, as United customers, take to improve our travel experience.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You said result, which implies correlation. I agree with you that saying 'result' was a mistake.
I said, "DL now has a revenue premium as a result of their product and service, part of which includes on time performance."

The relevant part, on time performance, I said was a factor (i.e., "part of which"). That means it is not wholly responsible, but there is a part. It could be a miniscule part, it could be a massive part, we didn't get into that.

Without accepting or validating the positions you're presenting, I would point out that the flaw with correlating or linking operational performance to revenue is the variability of operational performance. You're not going to gain or loose a revenue premium on competitive route AAA-BBB (non-stop or via CCC or DDD) with a few days or months of having the best OT rates. There needs to be a systematic shift in operational performance over an extended period of time to attract new customers, who may or may not pay more based on the competitive environment, or drive existing customers away.
And what do you think we have here? DL has been on top of their game (and UA performing below average) for more than a few months now.

United's recent operational performance is bad. People try to blame it, and every other little change they don't like, on the mythical 'revenue premium' while ignoring fundamental issues like the mathematical construct of unit revenue measurements. Let's stick with a conversation that's relevant and constructive: why is operational performance sucking so much and what steps can we, as United customers, take to improve our travel experience.
It seems we are not in agreement as to how long UA's operational performance has been bad. While it's been worse in recent months than it had been previously, United still has had poor operational performance when compared to DL for the past couple years at least, maybe more.

Last year may have been better than this year, but last year was not as good as DL last year.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by BearX220
I quite agree with you that MCTs are often unhinged from reality and that UA publishes many connections that are too close-run. But I think that is a separate issue from woeful on-time performance. UA can loosen the banks at congested hubs and reduce misconnects as a separate effort.
Agree. They need to do a few things to improve OTP: longer ground times to recover from delays both at hubs and spokes, longer block-to-block times to reflect reality, keeping spare a/c at key points in the system, having flight crews stay with an aircraft's set of flights rather than having them "connect" at hubs like pax do.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
OP here. Notice that we haven't heard any UA pilots or other crew as to why there are so many MX. I'm going to start asking my crews and think it would be good if others did as well. Please report back what they say. I feel sorry for the FAs -- they have to live with this more than we do!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Any chance you could add in AA to the table? Again, to many of "us" that's the more interesting comparison thx
"they're not very good"

Code:
 carrier |  a360  |  a720   |  cxl  
---------+--------+---------+-------
 AAL/AWE | 99.86% | 99.96%  | 1.39%
 DAL     | 99.87% | 99.98%  | 0.48%
 UAL     | 99.90% | 100.00% | 1.29%
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:50 pm

I said, "DL now has a revenue premium as a result of their product and service, part of which includes on time performance."

The relevant part, on time performance, I said was a factor (i.e., "part of which"). That means it is not wholly responsible, but there is a part. It could be a miniscule part, it could be a massive part, we didn't get into that.
If you do not believe OT performance is correlated or wholly responsible for revenue performance, why raise the issue of revenue premiums in a thread about OT performance?

It seems we are not in agreement as to how long UA's operational performance has been bad. While it's been worse in recent months than it had been previously, United still has had poor operational performance when compared to DL for the past couple years at least, maybe more.

Last year may have been better than this year, but last year was not as good as DL last year.
I haven't commented on the duration of operational performance trends for a specific carrier. I simply said there needs to be sustained trends operational performance, which is inherently volatile, for it to have an impact on customer loyalty and/or revenue metrics.

If you'd like to discuss something other than why is operational performance sucking so much and what steps can we, as United customers, take to improve our travel experience, please send me a PM.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you do not believe OT performance is correlated or wholly responsible for revenue performance, why raise the issue of revenue premiums in a thread about OT performance?
Because the infamous "diminishing returns" comment came up.

The current management team has a very shortsighted approach in various areas, I question whether they're capable of calculating the future business cost (or benefits) associated with poor (or good) operational performance.

I haven't commented on the duration of operational performance trends for a specific carrier. I simply said there needs to be sustained trends operational performance, which is inherently volatile, for it to have an impact on customer loyalty and/or revenue metrics.
I'm glad you acknowledge that. It's very possible UA is at the point where it's taking a toll on revenue.

I wonder if these diminishing returns are factored into UA's estimates.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
I am starting to think that it has gotten measurably worse in the last six months as well. My flight to FRA last week went MX on the first leg and blew the entire itinerary. The 1K desk rerouted me through SEA on LH (and protected my upgrade that I purchased with miles on the original routing). No delays on LH!

Then returning home, guess what? Departing FRA-ORD on the first leg, the UA 777 went MX and had a 45 minute delay. No biggie except UA scheduled me originally with a 90 minute connection in ORD from International to Domestic. Miraculously I made the connection in 30 minutes due to Global Entry, carry-on luggage, TSA precheck and a lot of jogging through the tunnel.

But it has me seriously contemplating DL next year. I am tired and getting stuck in an airport hotel because of equipment issues.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:11 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
OP here. Notice that we haven't heard any UA pilots or other crew as to why there are so many MX. I'm going to start asking my crews and think it would be good if others did as well. Please report back what they say. I feel sorry for the FAs -- they have to live with this more than we do!
I don't know -- I found this post interesting:

Originally Posted by freshairborne
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Bingo..the wrong UA labor faction is being criticized for "work to rule" behavior..from a letter sent by MEC to all pilots in late March after they rejected the LOA from UA management.

"Until such time as the company is willing to address their deficiencies in honoring our contract, the MEC will no longer entertain overtures from management to fix their operational problems"
Sounds reasonable to me. Management has the opportunity to encourage us to accept relaxed rules, but they would have to honor our current contract the same as us.

FAB
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Interesting thread. I don't really have anything juicy to contribute here but I will say this: I have flown precious little international and zero widebody airplanes, so this is purely a narrowbody domestic observation. I have not seen any appreciable change in dispatch reliability flying 757s.

FAB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.