Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any UA pilots or mechanics on FT: why so many MX this year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any UA pilots or mechanics on FT: why so many MX this year?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:45 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by cfischer
I don't care a damn about the DOT statistics. For me as a customer it only matters what I can expect and what I routinely experience when flying UA. Don't care if the EWR-LHR widebody is running fine when the UAX BOS-EWR goes MX.
Flightaware and others can parse this out just fine.

what are you talking about? DL regionals are MUCH better than UA ... by a LOT actually.
Really? They appear to be a mirror of UA and AA express carriers:

ExpressJet™
Compass
GoJet Airlines
Endeavor Air
Shuttle America
SkyWest

Only unique one there is Compass
Are you saying by debating my previous post that DL regional numbers are better/same than their mainline numbers? If not, then they are worse, and including them would make them look worse, which was my statement. I stand by that statement, unless you can prove that DL express contributes to a higher completion/on time than DL mainline. And I say you can't show that.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly18725
I'm curious what data you're referring to for the basis of your statement. Implying the current operating performance costs less than improving operations is an interesting conclusion.
Not when you take into account this management's stated operational methods and goals.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2015 at 11:58 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BearX220
The high number of RTG (return to gate) delays / cancellations, and board / deboard / cancel reports, seem to indicate -- circumstantially -- that aircraft are being delivered to the line allegedly ready to fly, but flight crews discover issues during preflight or taxi which demonstrate otherwise. That does not seem to point to a mechanics' slowdown. That seems like a labor force that does not have enough time to keep the fleet airworthy given the demands of the schedule.
this would appear to be a very likely explanation.

Originally Posted by freshairborne
Sounds reasonable to me. Management has the opportunity to encourage us to accept relaxed rules, but they would have to honor our current contract the same as us.

FAB
IOW, cooperation is a two way street.

Several years ago I was talking to a UA pilot about the then-upcoming summer. He told me it was going to be miserable, because management was scheduling more flights than pilots available to fly them, and that management was counting on pilots to voluntarily work overtime. Which, he said, wasn't going to happen because the pilots didn't believe management was treating them fairly.

Looks like it is deja vu all over again.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by mduell
Sure. But DL put effort into it, countering cancellations by managing all of those variables proactively and reactively, and went 72 days in a row without a mainline cancel last year. When was the last time UA went 72 hours without a mainline cancel?
I believe that was 72 days without a cancellation in 2013. Not in a row. That's practically impossible.

But don't forget, DL's numbers are misleading. They will "delay" a flight overnight instead of cancelling it. It's all for stat padding that intentionally misleads customers. Not an ethical airline I want to give my money too.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by minnyfly
But don't forget, DL's numbers are misleading. They will "delay" a flight overnight instead of cancelling it. It's all for stat padding that intentionally misleads customers. Not an ethical airline I want to give my money too.
I guess I would rather give my money to an airline that is committed to flying its entire schedule at whatever cost over an airline whose published timetable qualifies as science fiction.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I believe that was 72 days without a cancellation in 2013. Not in a row. That's practically impossible.

United has more ethics than DL?

Want to rethink that one?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Yesterday (Tuesday) UA ended up canceling 71 US departures by the end of the day. How many would you say, for comparison, that DL delayed overnight and then plan on flying out today (Wednesday)?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Not when you take into account this management's stated operational methods and goals.
The 'quotes' being referred to, and posted earlier in this thread, are fiction, woven from statements with entirely different intents.

At worst, United's management is incompetent. There are no statements or basis to continually imply the current situation is intentional and/or based on personal greed. Irresponsible claims so disconnected from reality detract from relevant and purposeful discussion.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:44 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The 'quotes' being referred to, and posted earlier in this thread, are fiction, woven from statements with entirely different intents.

At worst, United's management is incompetent. There are no statements or basis to continually imply the current situation is intentional and/or based on personal greed. Irresponsible claims so disconnected from reality detract from relevant and purposeful discussion.
The quote regarding beating 80% on-time offering diminishing returns wasn't fiction. At best, it's suggestive of a management culture who sets too low of goals--honestly, they should have said, "We strive for 100% on-time arrivals, and when we're unable to meet that goal, we must take care of passengers with a minimal impact to their travel plans."

Would they be able to be 100% on-time? Of course not. But saying that more than 80% reaches diminishing returns implies that 80% is "good enough." You have to set high goals and do your best to achieve them, not set mediocre goals and celebrate when you occasionally surpass them. It's like a student saying, "Well, I only have to get a C to graduate, so any additional work is really not worth it."
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1132...p=qanda&l=last

From Barclays, we have David Fintzen on the line. Please go ahead.
David Fintzen - Barclays

You know you mentioned I think as Jim mentioned sort of corporate customers around a bit of detour, I’m curious obviously there is a lot you can do to improve the operation, but if (inaudible) find someone else, how do you make sure they know what you’re doing and the piece of that is if you’re hitting sort of your on-time performance targets, is it really your target that matter or do you think you have to make sure that you are towards to the top of the industry, so you can maybe show a customer who has gone somewhere else that your competitive in terms of the operation. I’m curious how you think about that both in terms of the outreach and in terms of the absolute performance and the relative performance on the on-time side.

Jeff Smisek - Chairman, President & CEO

It's a combination of things, it's not just the on-time performance and you need to be reliable and different levels of reliability above 80% have diminishing returns, but it's really also -- it’s many different factors, it's also very important as the customer service and which is why we’re focusing so heavily on customer service this year as you know I mean you all fly. A good customer service can take even delayed flight or a flight where there is an issue on-board the aircraft, a broken piece of IFE (ph) or something.

Fiction?
“You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means” - Inigo Montoya
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
The quote regarding beating 80% on-time offering diminishing returns wasn't fiction. At best, it's suggestive of a management culture who sets too low of goals--honestly, they should have said, "We strive for 100% on-time arrivals, and when we're unable to meet that goal, we must take care of passengers with a minimal impact to their travel plans."
Agreed - it's really divorced from reality to keep insisting that this is some fictional statement, made behind secret closed doors, that somehow doesn't apply to their mindset on operations. Quite the interesting conclusion.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by clubord
It's pretty simple....no contract
This is almost a mirror of the late 90's exact dates unk. (If you remember them you weren't there.) Every 3rd / 4th long haul was MX'ed. There was a long and not nice union contact negotiation at that time. It was not unusual to have 30min to 2hr delays that often extended until the last alternative departed.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by exerda
Would they be able to be 100% on-time? Of course not. But saying that more than 80% reaches diminishing returns implies that 80% is "good enough."
I don't think it implies 80% is good enough. I think it implies that 80% is a ceiling -- any more, and we're wasting money.

In that environment, 79% is better than 81% since 81% wasted resources to achieve.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
At worst, United's management is incompetent. There are no statements or basis to continually imply the current situation is intentional and/or based on personal greed.
Nobody believes UA management goes to work in the morning with the intent to run a terrible airline and alienate everyone. This mess is the unintended consequence of policies and procedures drawn up in some high office with not enough sense of how they will work -- or not work -- in the real world.

Cross-fleeting, hub-choking, tight turns, outsourcing ground staff, firing the IT guru who warned SHARES meant meltdowns, not enough maintenance time, zero slack in crew scheduling, denying irrops tools to CSAs, encouraging them to blame UA's own problems on weather to save money -- all these must have looked great on a white board. Not so much in real life.

These strategies were the theoretical approach to impressing Wall Street, jacking up the stock price, and securing the top echelon's personal financial futures.

To paraphrase Jessica Rabbit, they didn't intend to destroy the airline in the process, it just turned out that way.

They are not savvy.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold

You're right, they were not in a row, and it was 2013.

UA delays flights overnight too, and their stats still suck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.