Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any UA pilots or mechanics on FT: why so many MX this year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any UA pilots or mechanics on FT: why so many MX this year?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Globetrotter2015
That must be super unlucky. For a 70% on-time rate and a 97% completion rate, your scenario happens 0.000059% of the time.
It depends on the route/planes/airports/etc.

I had a 100% misconnect rate last fall due to the UX baggage meltdown in DEN, then a 70% misconnect for a month this winter due to cold and/or snow. It happens.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
What is my probability for last trip

That must be super unlucky. For a 70% on-time rate and a 97% completion rate, your scenario happens 0.000059% of the time.
Four out of five flights arrived at gates more than 30 min behind schedules for my last trip. What is the probability? To be honest, one of the delay was not mechanic.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by johnden
It depends on the route/planes/airports/etc.

I had a 100% misconnect rate last fall due to the UX baggage meltdown in DEN, then a 70% misconnect for a month this winter due to cold and/or snow. It happens.
I would say I'm probably at around 80% misconnect this month. Many lost upgrades So frustrating to see silver/golds clear upgrade and I stay as #1 on the list due to misconnect.

I often rebook to PN on a different flight when I see a potential misconnect. Then, there is some automatic rebooking that moves me from PN -> Y on the same flight. This caused me to lose upgrades on two separate occasions this month (including yesterday morning). It is as if the automatic "rebooking" process doesn't see that an agent has already moved me to a different flight.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Agreed. But of my last 4 trips SFO-EWR, 8 segments, I have been delayed by more than 30 minutes on 7 of them. Chances of that are .02%. But happened.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LPDAL
Given the nature of the airline industry, I'm surprised that there aren't more delays. Think about just how much could go wrong with airplanes, some of the most costly and complicated pieces of machinery ever to exist.

As for DL's "no canceled flights" goal, it may be nice that it does happen on certain days, but it's just not going to happen for the same reason as my first sentence: too many variables that could go awry.
Sure. But DL put effort into it, countering cancellations by managing all of those variables proactively and reactively, and went 72 days in a row without a mainline cancel last year. When was the last time UA went 72 hours without a mainline cancel?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:03 pm

There's something going on. The IAD/EWR 767/777 fleets are seeing an inordinate # of MX delays and outright cancellations. On my way to and back from CH this week was like walking through a mine field, with cancellations left and right to/from ZRH & GVA. I'm sitting at Dulles right now looking at the IAD-LHR 777 just sitting here at the gate, delayed for over an hour (it did push). I'm looking at customer service lines 100 people deep with four agents doing their best to tend to misconnects and those who've had their IAD-SFO cancelled. If this is any indicator, this summer is going to be a complete disaster.

Last edited by tuolumne; Jun 30, 2015 at 5:17 pm
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LPDAL
As for DL's "no canceled flights" goal, it may be nice that it does happen on certain days, but it's just not going to happen for the same reason as my first sentence: too many variables that could go awry.
It's not just going to happen on certain days, it happens on several days. Sure, it's a goal that will not be 100% attainable 100% of the time, but it is a goal nonetheless.

No team is going to win the World Series every year. But you bet it's their goal every year to win the World Series.

Originally Posted by johnden
UA can use their superior fare pricing controls to help mask the operational difficulties.

Many studies show that consumers' airline loyalty is worth around ~20 USD or less domestically. Sell fares 20-50 USD less than others and you can fill a plane.

The secret to dynamic pricing is to do this in a way that isn't obvious to the competition(data driven, customized offers, wacky fare rules etc), low opportunity cost(elite gouging) and isn't harmful to the bottom line (more unbundling).

If UA can out-price-control the competition, they can get away with lower quality service.
Twenty bucks a seat x 150 sets is $3,000. That's about the difference between what DL and UA bring in on a one-way midcon these days, given DL's revenue premium.

So perhaps UA is already doing this.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlyWorld
Smisek's goal, as documented in publicly filed documents, is to increase margins to influence math that determines his bonus payment.

If he says that there are diminishing returns after 80% and his goal is to maximize operating margins, then it follows logically that his goal is to not exceed 80% because by his logic, such action would reduce the margins that drive his compensation.
First, I think you're grossly overstating public statements of Smisek's goals.

Operational excellence - I'll leave that undefined but say it's absolutely not what we are seeing now - is accretive to earnings and margins. Cutting maintenance and intentionally running late hurts earnings and margins. Now that we've gotten that bit of logic out of the way, we can cross "Smisek's goal" off the list of legitimate reasons why operational performance is lagging.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
the widebody MX issue has been ongoing for quite some time and way before any labor disputes started to emerge. Check the relevant thread back through the beginning of the year. Actually, I found it has recently slightly improved but not by much.
The regionals are a huge mess and here it's the MX in combo with WX which makes a toxic mixture. If UA would be honest and include the regionals in their statistics then things would begin to look at abysmal as they are.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
the widebody MX issue has been ongoing for quite some time and way before any labor disputes started to emerge. Check the relevant thread back through the beginning of the year. Actually, I found it has recently slightly improved but not by much.
The regionals are a huge mess and here it's the MX in combo with WX which makes a toxic mixture. If UA would be honest and include the regionals in their statistics then things would begin to look at abysmal as they are.
Inclusion of regionals is up to the DOT. There's some complications in doing this as regionals are effectively code shares and you can't include all code shares in OT stats. Until the DOT can distinguish between capacity purchase and code shares, it'll be tough to get an accurate picture.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly18725
First, I think you're grossly overstating public statements of Smisek's goals.

Operational excellence - I'll leave that undefined but say it's absolutely not what we are seeing now - is accretive to earnings and margins. Cutting maintenance and intentionally running late hurts earnings and margins. Now that we've gotten that bit of logic out of the way, we can cross "Smisek's goal" off the list of legitimate reasons why operational performance is lagging.
Circular logic.

When the costs of beating 80% exceed the costs of delays, it still makes UA economic sense to stick with 80% and absorb the costs of the delays. Ignoring the passengers, of course. After all, they don't count.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:54 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by cfischer
True, but DL wouldn't look so good then.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fly18725
Inclusion of regionals is up to the DOT. There's some complications in doing this as regionals are effectively code shares and you can't include all code shares in OT stats. Until the DOT can distinguish between capacity purchase and code shares, it'll be tough to get an accurate picture.
I don't care a damn about the DOT statistics. For me as a customer it only matters what I can expect and what I routinely experience when flying UA. Don't care if the EWR-LHR widebody is running fine when the UAX BOS-EWR goes MX.
Flightaware and others can parse this out just fine.

Originally Posted by fastair
True, but DL wouldn't look so good then.
what are you talking about? DL regionals are MUCH better than UA ... by a LOT actually.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Really hard to ignore the numbers, though, no matter what you attribute them to. When I look at the daily stats, I usually see a half-dozen regional carriers at the top, so it's pretty unusual to see any mainline carrier take a top spot.

From flightstats.com, canceled and delayed flights from the U.S. for yesterday, June 29 (just listing the top 10 carriers):
53 552 (UA) United Airlines
28 763 (WN) Southwest Airlines
10 208 (MQ) Envoy Air
10 113 (YV) Mesa Airlines
9 19 (C5) CommutAir
8 83 (9K) Cape Air
8 5 (H6) Ravn Connect
7 384 (AA) American Airlines
7 207 (B6) JetBlue Airways
7 86 (YX) Republic Airlines
US is down further down the list at 3 cancellations. Delta isn't on the list at all.

The UA numbers are even higher today, June 30, though we still have a few hours to go as I type this top 10 around 2100 in CA:

76 447 (EV) ExpressJet
66 698 (UA) United Airlines
44 1,187 (WN) Southwest Airlines
42 160 (YX) Republic Airlines
36 171 (ZW) Air Wisconsin
34 40 (C5) CommutAir
31 115 (PDT) Piedmont Airlines
26 150 (YV) Mesa Airlines
20 159 (MQ) Envoy Air
17 307 (OO) SkyWest Airlines
AA had 9 cancellations, US 8, and Delta zero again.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Circular logic.

When the costs of beating 80% exceed the costs of delays, it still makes UA economic sense to stick with 80% and absorb the costs of the delays. Ignoring the passengers, of course. After all, they don't count.
I'm curious what data you're referring to for the basis of your statement. Implying the current operating performance costs less than improving operations is an interesting conclusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.