Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United provided internet access/blocking restrictions [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

At the recommendation of my son (a lot more tech savvy than me), I use an independent VPN service to further strengthen the security of my web browsing (particularly banking) and email connections. I'm sitting here in the EWR UC and find that my VPN service has been blocked. Here is the message when attempting to log into the VPN site.

Internet Access Notification
Per company policy you have been denied access to the URL:

(Not disclosed for privacy reasons)

Reason:
Not allowed to browse Anonymizer category

Website blocked

Read our organization's Web use policy: https://flyingtogether.ual.com/web/c...Guidelines.pdf

You may contact your IT support administrator at:
Phone: +1-847-700-5800

My son probably has another suggestion. Any thoughts?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 16, 2015 at 10:41 pm Reason: clarified title
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:15 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Were you using an UA IP address? Like in the UA Club, were you using one of their computers, or their wireless access? Their wireless access may have an UA identified IP address. When I followed the link in your post, it gave me a screen for logging in as an UA employee. I tried logging in to my MP account from an IP address using a VPN blocking service and had no problem logging into my MP account.

Try using the VPN from your own wireless access.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:25 am
Original Poster

I am logged into the UC wireless network and using my laptop.

I can launch the VPN app from my cell phone (android device) while connected to the UC wireless without it being blocked
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:30 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Hmmm. It must have something to do with your laptop. Use your Droid for now, and when you can gain access to another wireless router besides UA Club, try again. Someone else more tech savvy than me may chime in to this thread later.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
At the recommendation of my son (a lot more tech savvy than me), I use an independent VPN service to further strengthen the security of my web browsing (particularly banking) and email connections.
So long as you're using https for those connections (which should be the default for all the main webmail and banking sites) the VPN doesn't really add much in the way of benefits.

Beyond that, it looks like something might have gone amiss with the IP addresses being assigned by the hotspot and the filtering hardware UA has running.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm required to use a VPN to access my work account wherever I am, and I haven't experienced any problems doing so in any UC.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Is this one of those software VPNs, like the Juniper java based ones? I've never tried that one on one of UA's hotspots, but I have never had problems with Cisco IPsec or L2TP.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Singapore_Schwing
Is this one of those software VPNs, like the Juniper java based ones? I've never tried that one on one of UA's hotspots, but I have never had problems with Cisco IPsec or L2TP.
I've used 2 different ones recently
1. Proxpn.com (This one is blocked)
2. Anonymizer.com (Did not try this one)
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If MKR was taken back to a UA employee login screen, that may well be the issue. OP mistakenly being treated as an employee. UA may restrict its employees' ability to use VPN for its own IT policy reasons. IT glitch.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Out of curiosity, when you say "independent VPN service", are you talking about a website that you surf to and enter the URL there, or is this a full-blown VPN that you launch from your desktop?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itsMoe
Out of curiosity, when you say "independent VPN service", are you talking about a website that you surf to and enter the URL there, or is this a full-blown VPN that you launch from your desktop?
Application.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I've used 2 different ones recently
1. Proxpn.com (This one is blocked)
2. Anonymizer.com (Did not try this one)
Never tried these (I recommend strongVPN personally), but were you already logged into the United Club wifi when you started the VPN connection? It may also be the app which establishes the connection on your computer. You could try setting up the VPN as a network protocol, bypassing the software. Another trick you can try is using Google's DNS (or another 3rd party DNS server) rather than the one automatically assigned by the hotspot. 8.8.8.8 to 8.8.4.4 are Google's. This is in case UA's DNS is flagging and redirecting the domain of the VPN service.

Originally Posted by Often1
If MKR was taken back to a UA employee login screen, that may well be the issue. OP mistakenly being treated as an employee. UA may restrict its employees' ability to use VPN for its own IT policy reasons. IT glitch.
This is the odd part. I'm not sure why LAXOGG is ending up at an employee centric page from the sound of it. I would assume (and hope) that UA's internal networks are COMPLETELY isolated from their customer wifi!?!?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Off to HNL. Will try to connect at the UC there and see what happens .
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
It says it right there in the error message--they don't want anonymizers used on their network. There are many valid reasons for this. Very different than a corporate VPN.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by halls120
I'm required to use a VPN to access my work account wherever I am, and I haven't experienced any problems doing so in any UC.
Same here. No problem using establishing VPNs w/ my clients directly to their server using UC wi-fi. I think the anonymizer sites might be the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.