Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr

THIS IS A THREAD FOR WHICH ALL MP MEMBERS WILL BE ABLE TO RESPOND ...THANKS.
The goal of the survey is to benefit all of us.
This thread is to ask ALL MileagePlus members who read the MileagePlus Forum to please respond to this
short 3 question survey. It will only take a few minutes..

PLEASE PM YOUR MP FTer FRIENDS TO ASK THEM TO ALSO POST IN THIS SURVEY....THANKS.
The 3 questions are in Post #1

WIKI UPDATED FEBRUARY 24 (already over 160 posts)

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI AND POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.

WE NEED YOUR INPUT....PLEASE TAKE PART.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE WHO HAS ALREADY RESPONDED, KINDLY CHECK YOUR POST TO MAKE SURE YOUR REASONS FOR SEEKING THE STATUS LEVEL YOU ARE SEEKING ARE CLEAR IN QUESTION #3. KINDLY CONSIDER EDITING, IF NEEDED. THIS IS TO HELP IN GATHERING OF DATA FOR THE SURVEY, TO BENEFIT US ALL. THANK YOU.

The data will be compiled and posted in this WIKI after approximately each 100 respondants during the year to keep it simple for someone (me) who has trouble figuring out where Boarding Line 1 is

DATA WILL BE UPDATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WIKI

UA monitors these threads. They will not release their statistics on MP membership changes, so let us work together to compile our own data.

PURPOSE OF SURVEY

The aim is to get a very large number of data points in the coming weeks/months to see percentages of those who are planning on dropping, maintaining, or increasing in status through their 2015 earnings activity for 2016 status in MP because of many reasons.

The survey asks persons to state their individual reasons for their 2015 plans for attaining a certain status level for 2016. The survey will determine in a objective, structured, measurable and efficient way, what are persons' experiences in flying on UA in light of various changes in the MileagePlus program or other UA flying experiences that have affected the amount of flying they plan to do on UA in 2015. This MAY affect their planned Premier status. Kindly PM your UA FTer friends to ask them to post in this survey. Thanks.

YOU MAY NOT YET KNOW YOUR SPECIFIC PLANS FOR 2015, ie, number flights within the USA or number of TATL flights you plan to take, etc., but please at least post your general plans...like, "I am Platinum but plan to reduce to Gold for 2016." OR, "I am Gold and plan to keep Gold status." Post the minimum status you know you will likely achieve, even if that may just be GM. Then expound on how you plan to do that and your reasons for seeking or not seeking a certain status level.

Later in the year when you have a better idea of your travel plans, you can come back and post again in this thread, referring back to your original post, so your second post will make it clear that you are not a new person responding.... (AN EXAMPLE FUTURE POST: A POST ON APRIL 10: "I posted on Feb. 10 [QUOTE POST] now I am amending my post... (1)I was Gold on Feb. 10 and estimated I would reach 1K status for 2016. (2) I now realize I will only reach Platinum through the following planned flying on UA....XX TATL flights, XX Domestic (3) I no longer plan to reach 1K, as my travel on UA will be cut and I will not reach the required PQMs for 1K. I am shifting XX% flying to AA and doing a status match. 1K on UA is not valuable to me anymore BECAUSE....state reasons,compared to other airlines.")

(There is another thread to ask persons if their status decreased, stayed the same, or increased from 2014-2015. Please also respond to that survey.) Thanks. [Survey] From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same? The data from that survey will be compiled and reported in that thread.

PLEASE READ POST #1 before responding to this present survey for 2015. Thank you.

Since the PQD requirements have increased in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier Status for all Premier levels
($3,000/$6,000/$9,000/$12,000)
AND since the requirements for earning Reward Mileage is changing on March 1, 2015, this a survey of ALL FTers who belong to MileagePlus about plans for achieving 2016 status throughout 2015.

There has been speculation in this Forum that increases in PQDs for earning 2016 status and the changes in earning Reward miles beginning March 1 may significantly reduce those seeking particular Premier status for 2016. Many other reasons have also been cited in other threads in this Forum for persons reducing their flying on UA in favor of other carriers.

The goal of the survey is to also see if any trends become evident in regards to persons reducing, keeping, or increasing their status in MileagePlus over the course of the next few weeks/months....as well as to see if any trends emerge for reasons given,

It will take just a few minutes for you to respond. THANKS AGAIN FOR TAKING PART.

Statistics will be updated occasionally during the year in this WIKI when a significant number of persons respond to the survey.

Please read Post #1 before responding to this survey. Thank you.

FIRST DATA REPORT FEB. 17

It is very early in the year and not all persons have their specific travel plans for the year. There are many 1Ks who fly enough each year that they already know they will make the requirements and several already have several trips booked, so they have been able to respond to the survey.

I am asking persons to estimate the status they will attain, as some have done, based upon a general idea of the travel they will likely have. People can come back later in the year to amend their plans in this thread when they have a better idea.

Some persons are very clear in their reasons why they will attain certain status. Some persons are making statements like..." I will make somewhere between Gold and Platinum."
When persons make vague statements like that, I take the conservative measure and project the lower status. When I can take some time to see if any trends emerge for reasons, I will update that information. Several have made statements alluding to the increased PQDs and RDM changes, but I noticed no real trend emerging in the early life of this survey.

I do wish persons would go back to their posts to edit and give some clearer reasons for why they are keeping, dropping, or increasing status. That will be more helpful for the survey results to see if any identifiable trends are emerging.

Some persons would not commit to any particular status for 2016, so I did not count them. I am going to clarify in the instructions for the thread to see if persons will commit to the lowest status they likely will achieve in MP for 2016. If you post in the future, please commit to the lowest status you will likely have in MP.

DATA
SO...for the first 100 respondants reported in this survey, here is the breakdown:

3 GS, 52 1k, 13P, 24G, 6S, 2GM.

33/100 report they plan a drop in status from 2015-2016. 62 report they plan to maintain status. 5 report they plan to increase status.

All 3 GS feel they will keep it.

35 1Ks report they will maintain 1K. 5 1Ks report they will drop to Platinum.
11 1Ks report they will drop to Gold or below
(several will maintain Gold through MM status) 1 1K aims for GS

3 Platinums report they will retain Platinum.
9 Platinums report they plan to drop to Gold.
(several will maintain G through MM...I will report later)
1 Platinum reports increasing to 1K

18 Golds report they will retain Gold ( several are MM...I will report this later)
4 Golds report they will drop to Silver. 1 Gold will drop to GM
1 Gold will increase to 1K

3 Silvers will retain Silver, 3 will drop to GM

1GM will aim for Silver, 1 for Gold

PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.
Print Wikipost

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
(1) What is your MP Premier Status on UA right now?

1K.

(2) What are your plans for earning MP Premier status for 2016?

Trying to hit 1K for the 5th year. But not sure if I will make it. I am retiring the end of February and will now travel for fun rather than work. Trips planned to Athens, Hawaii, California, New York, and looking at Turkey and Thailand. One trip completed to Monterrey, Mexico (last trip for work).

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA (ie, PQDs too high for you, company policies, plans to increase flying on other carriers, UA meets your needs, etc.)

I want the GPU's for international travel. Now I can schedule them when I find them available rather than hoping they go thru for work travel. However the service from my home airport, Moline is so unreliable (trips consistently delayed or cancelled) in the past 2 years that I am considering AA or DL.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
(1) GM

(2) Plan to stay GM

(3) In 2013, I already moved most of my travel to BA/AA for TATLs and most domestics. This year I am going to try BR for TPACs so will use UA on LAS-SFO for convenience reasons, but only to connect to BR (I otherwise take VX on this route). There is no reason to credit any of this to UA, obviously.

Domestically, UA's route network and frequencies are still superior for me over AA, but it's really hard to know what it would take to get me back even if UA has a management change, fixes its operations problems, and reverses course on the gutting of service and MP that has happened since the merger. Loyalty change is a really big decision with a lot of hassle - not to mention that it has introduced me to a lot of aspects of flying that AA/BA are much better at than UA and even PMUA.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:25 pm

Location: Base: EWR/LGA/JFK. 2016: BOM, DEL, HYD, BKK, SIN, HKG, ICN, NRT, LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, BNA, IAH, MIA, MDE, BOG, CHO, IAD, LHR, LCY, FRA, ZRH, LIN, MXP
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Ritz Lifetime Platinum Premier, SPG Lifetime Platinum
(1) 1K
(2) Keep 1K with 3 trips to Europe with UA/LX in C, 2-3 trips to Asia with NH in C, tons of domestic with UA in Y, occasional CAN flights with AC in Y. Won't make GS since my big spend is international and teds to be with LX or NH
(3) I don't find GS useful to me. NH C is a much better transpac product, LX C is a much better transatl product. I fly United for the Intl Partners and for my major office hubs (ex. IAH & IAD, United hubs are also my major regional offices). AA gave me gold for the year, so once I hit 100k PQM/$12k PQD I may cut my domestic over to American to try it out and maybe make Exec Plat.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
1. Plat (down from 1K)
2. Probably Plat for 2016, maybe Gold. I already have 33k PQM and $2.6k booked through Q1. With one personal international trip and one or two international for work getting to 75k shouldn't be hard. I will also have PQD waiver from CC.
3. Work requires that we book the lowest usable economy fare for any trip. It was already hard enough to make that work on UA most of the time. But buying those cheap tickets also means I'd have to fly 140-150k miles to hit 12k PQD for 1K. Being PDX based it just didn't make sense to stay on that merry-go-round so I matched over to AS and have started to move my 2015 trips to AS.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA MM
1 Plat
2 I have no plans to get or avoid getting status.
3 As a MM, I can always reserve E+ at booking and get lounge access Since upgrading is so expensive for BF, I plan on purchasing 2 deeply discounted E+ tickets for long haul travel. That counts as "good enough"
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
(1) What is your MP Status on UA right now?

(2) What are your plans for earning certain MP Premier status for 2016 AND how will you achieve that status?
I plan to stay 1K for this year. By the end of February I will meet the mileage requirements but not spend requirements.
During the rest of the year, I will take 2/3 business class trips to achieve the spend requirement.

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain Premier Status in 2015 for 2016 with UA?

I am close to 2MM so I am flying over 120K miles during Jan-Feb to reach this goal, which will give me Platinum for life. Will need to fly to Asia and Lat Am anyway, so I will do some BF flying when cost-effective.

Will consider MRs in economy after Feb just to accumulate BIS miles to maybe reach 3MM in a few years. Who knows?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
(1) 1K

(2) 1K. I have already done 2/3 YEG-DEN-SFO-HKG-GUM-HNL-SFO-YEG mileage runs and I will be at 60K PQM next month (on only $2100 spend as I'm exempt from PQD haha) Rest of year I have a trip to Australia booked and a few domestic flights to see a few BILLS games in BUF and I will be right there at 100K

(3) I am seeking status again because I love the GPU's as I have a flexible job and can find open "R" on tues/weds or whatever so I can use them. I also like to fly

The only bummer is the reduction in award miles, as a cheapskate like me (who travels on my own dime) will see a HUGE decrease in miles...
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:02 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Thread update and reminder!

Thanks to all who have been posting. I have been quite busy the last few days, but hope to have the first data report from the first 100 respondants posted to this thread by 2/17. It will be posted in the thread and in the WIKI.

A reminder... please expound in more detail on your top several reasons for why you are or are not seeking certain MP Status for 2016 in question # 3.

Please use short statements (see several examples for question # 3 answers in Post #1 for some ideas). Feel free to give your reasons because they are unique to you. Just please do not write a several paragraph essay with all of your gripes about UA.

Examples: "I am 1K now but will seek Plat. status in 2015 for 2016. Company limits fares I can buy and will have trouble meeting 2016 PQD requirements for 1K. I will not be able to have enough personal spend to make the PQDs." OR "I am fed up with specific changes to MP, or upgrade % compared to my experiences on specific other carriers. Therefore I will seek MP Gold status for 2016 for *A and will fly specific other carriers. New MP reward mileage requirements beginning March 1 cause me to shift flying to AA to earn better reward mileage. OR "I have shifted 50% of my flying to AA or DL because compared to UA my experiences on those carriers are....better food, comfort, reliability, upgrades, customer service, etc." "I will continue flying UA to reach MM, 2MM, 3MM, or 4MM status."

(There is another thread to ask persons if their status decreased, stayed the same, or increased from 2014-2015. Please also respond to that survey.) Thanks. [Survey] From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same?

Last edited by mkr; Feb 16, 2015 at 3:05 am Reason: add link to other survey
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1-K, AA PLT
1-1K now and for the last 11 years.
2-Trying to keep 1K for 2016.
3-Reason: GPU's.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:07 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Will again retain 1k status for 2016, as all flights are booked for 2015 also will become million miler. Will use my GPU's in 2016, and then begin to use my award miles which should last me the next 3 or 4 years.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:21 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by sfo
Will again retain 1k status for 2016, as all flights are booked for 2015 also will become million miler. Will use my GPU's in 2016, and then begin to use my award miles which should last me the next 3 or 4 years.
sfo, are you a leisure flyer? You say you already have all your UA flights booked for 2015. Where are they going? Are you exempt from PQDs? Is your plan to become a MM and then drop to Gold? Please expound. Also, do you fly any other carriers? Anything positive/negative comparing UA to other carriers?

Last edited by mkr; Feb 16, 2015 at 9:22 am Reason: add quote
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
(1) 1K

(2) I plan to renew at 1K, with a worst-case of Platinum. The loss of RDMs post-March 1st will make MRs less appealing - and the increase in PQDs may also disincentivize me depending on the numbers in September-October 2015.

(3) Not applicable.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
1. 1K
2. Continue to fly for fun on weekends and business travel to multiple destinations in Europe, Asia and Oceania on UA and Star partners
3. I still like United, it is my company's preferred airline and I fly out of SFO.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
1) Gold
2) Silver
3) Looking at other airlines thus decreasing flying on UA
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Reg
(1) Gold.

(2) Not sure if I will aim to be *G next year. Will be traveling across the US every 3 weeks for 6 months, so that will factor if I do want to remain gold (may switch to AA or AS). Basically, I will either be Gold or on a different airline.

(3) Reasons for seeking:
- Star Gold: I fly to continental Europe fairly often, so having lounge access on LH/LX is great + not going through LHR.
- Accrual of miles for future long-distance trips (in J/F/whatever)
- PQDs don't affect me.

Reasons for not seeking:
- Tired of the inferior service with UA when compared to other domestic/foreign carriers
- May not have enough travel planned in to make it work
- Devaluing of Gold benefits (and reciprocity with other airlines) from the amount of people in zone 2 to mileage accrual processes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.