Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr

THIS IS A THREAD FOR WHICH ALL MP MEMBERS WILL BE ABLE TO RESPOND ...THANKS.
The goal of the survey is to benefit all of us.
This thread is to ask ALL MileagePlus members who read the MileagePlus Forum to please respond to this
short 3 question survey. It will only take a few minutes..

PLEASE PM YOUR MP FTer FRIENDS TO ASK THEM TO ALSO POST IN THIS SURVEY....THANKS.
The 3 questions are in Post #1

WIKI UPDATED FEBRUARY 24 (already over 160 posts)

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI AND POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.

WE NEED YOUR INPUT....PLEASE TAKE PART.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE WHO HAS ALREADY RESPONDED, KINDLY CHECK YOUR POST TO MAKE SURE YOUR REASONS FOR SEEKING THE STATUS LEVEL YOU ARE SEEKING ARE CLEAR IN QUESTION #3. KINDLY CONSIDER EDITING, IF NEEDED. THIS IS TO HELP IN GATHERING OF DATA FOR THE SURVEY, TO BENEFIT US ALL. THANK YOU.

The data will be compiled and posted in this WIKI after approximately each 100 respondants during the year to keep it simple for someone (me) who has trouble figuring out where Boarding Line 1 is

DATA WILL BE UPDATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WIKI

UA monitors these threads. They will not release their statistics on MP membership changes, so let us work together to compile our own data.

PURPOSE OF SURVEY

The aim is to get a very large number of data points in the coming weeks/months to see percentages of those who are planning on dropping, maintaining, or increasing in status through their 2015 earnings activity for 2016 status in MP because of many reasons.

The survey asks persons to state their individual reasons for their 2015 plans for attaining a certain status level for 2016. The survey will determine in a objective, structured, measurable and efficient way, what are persons' experiences in flying on UA in light of various changes in the MileagePlus program or other UA flying experiences that have affected the amount of flying they plan to do on UA in 2015. This MAY affect their planned Premier status. Kindly PM your UA FTer friends to ask them to post in this survey. Thanks.

YOU MAY NOT YET KNOW YOUR SPECIFIC PLANS FOR 2015, ie, number flights within the USA or number of TATL flights you plan to take, etc., but please at least post your general plans...like, "I am Platinum but plan to reduce to Gold for 2016." OR, "I am Gold and plan to keep Gold status." Post the minimum status you know you will likely achieve, even if that may just be GM. Then expound on how you plan to do that and your reasons for seeking or not seeking a certain status level.

Later in the year when you have a better idea of your travel plans, you can come back and post again in this thread, referring back to your original post, so your second post will make it clear that you are not a new person responding.... (AN EXAMPLE FUTURE POST: A POST ON APRIL 10: "I posted on Feb. 10 [QUOTE POST] now I am amending my post... (1)I was Gold on Feb. 10 and estimated I would reach 1K status for 2016. (2) I now realize I will only reach Platinum through the following planned flying on UA....XX TATL flights, XX Domestic (3) I no longer plan to reach 1K, as my travel on UA will be cut and I will not reach the required PQMs for 1K. I am shifting XX% flying to AA and doing a status match. 1K on UA is not valuable to me anymore BECAUSE....state reasons,compared to other airlines.")

(There is another thread to ask persons if their status decreased, stayed the same, or increased from 2014-2015. Please also respond to that survey.) Thanks. [Survey] From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same? The data from that survey will be compiled and reported in that thread.

PLEASE READ POST #1 before responding to this present survey for 2015. Thank you.

Since the PQD requirements have increased in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier Status for all Premier levels
($3,000/$6,000/$9,000/$12,000)
AND since the requirements for earning Reward Mileage is changing on March 1, 2015, this a survey of ALL FTers who belong to MileagePlus about plans for achieving 2016 status throughout 2015.

There has been speculation in this Forum that increases in PQDs for earning 2016 status and the changes in earning Reward miles beginning March 1 may significantly reduce those seeking particular Premier status for 2016. Many other reasons have also been cited in other threads in this Forum for persons reducing their flying on UA in favor of other carriers.

The goal of the survey is to also see if any trends become evident in regards to persons reducing, keeping, or increasing their status in MileagePlus over the course of the next few weeks/months....as well as to see if any trends emerge for reasons given,

It will take just a few minutes for you to respond. THANKS AGAIN FOR TAKING PART.

Statistics will be updated occasionally during the year in this WIKI when a significant number of persons respond to the survey.

Please read Post #1 before responding to this survey. Thank you.

FIRST DATA REPORT FEB. 17

It is very early in the year and not all persons have their specific travel plans for the year. There are many 1Ks who fly enough each year that they already know they will make the requirements and several already have several trips booked, so they have been able to respond to the survey.

I am asking persons to estimate the status they will attain, as some have done, based upon a general idea of the travel they will likely have. People can come back later in the year to amend their plans in this thread when they have a better idea.

Some persons are very clear in their reasons why they will attain certain status. Some persons are making statements like..." I will make somewhere between Gold and Platinum."
When persons make vague statements like that, I take the conservative measure and project the lower status. When I can take some time to see if any trends emerge for reasons, I will update that information. Several have made statements alluding to the increased PQDs and RDM changes, but I noticed no real trend emerging in the early life of this survey.

I do wish persons would go back to their posts to edit and give some clearer reasons for why they are keeping, dropping, or increasing status. That will be more helpful for the survey results to see if any identifiable trends are emerging.

Some persons would not commit to any particular status for 2016, so I did not count them. I am going to clarify in the instructions for the thread to see if persons will commit to the lowest status they likely will achieve in MP for 2016. If you post in the future, please commit to the lowest status you will likely have in MP.

DATA
SO...for the first 100 respondants reported in this survey, here is the breakdown:

3 GS, 52 1k, 13P, 24G, 6S, 2GM.

33/100 report they plan a drop in status from 2015-2016. 62 report they plan to maintain status. 5 report they plan to increase status.

All 3 GS feel they will keep it.

35 1Ks report they will maintain 1K. 5 1Ks report they will drop to Platinum.
11 1Ks report they will drop to Gold or below
(several will maintain Gold through MM status) 1 1K aims for GS

3 Platinums report they will retain Platinum.
9 Platinums report they plan to drop to Gold.
(several will maintain G through MM...I will report later)
1 Platinum reports increasing to 1K

18 Golds report they will retain Gold ( several are MM...I will report this later)
4 Golds report they will drop to Silver. 1 Gold will drop to GM
1 Gold will increase to 1K

3 Silvers will retain Silver, 3 will drop to GM

1GM will aim for Silver, 1 for Gold

PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.
Print Wikipost

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
1. 1K
2. Will hit 100K miles but doubtful to hit the $12K threshold.
3. Should get 3MM this year which means lifetime (that is, UA's lifetime) 1K status. Will seriously consider switching to Alaska or similar carrier at that point.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
1) Gold

2) I'll be either Gold or Silver next year.

3) The post-3.1 changes really impact me as a Presidential Plus credit card holder who pays for my own tickets. I'm exempt from PQMs, but under the new rules it will be very hard for me to make even Silver despite 50k+ BIS miles.
•One immediate change: all international travel after 3/1 will be booked on Star Alliance partner airlines. Even 50% RDMs sure beats 5%; plus service must be better, even on whatever the second worst Star Alliance airline might be. (EgyptAir? Air India?)
•In a credit card + TOD world, with very few upgrades as a Gold since the merger, I'm grateful for this change because it ultimately means I no longer have any reason to be loyal to UA.
•I will do a status match to AA early next year to preserve mid-level elite for another year; then I'll get AA + VX + DL credit cards for the free bags.
•I look forward to not being tethered to UA for nothing else if not free beer over oceans.

The net/net/net: By devaluing both elite status and miles, United no longer differentiates itself to keep this customer.
I don't understand your pres. plus comment. As a pres. plus cardholder you are exempt fom PQD requirement. So 50k bis will get you gold no matter how little PQD spend you have.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:25 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
1. 1k

2. I will remain 1k. Before June, I will already be 2/3 of the way there on miles, and about the same on PQD thanks to several cheap A fares.

3. For now, UA meets my needs. The RDM change in March may make me rethink this, particularly if AA doesn't cave and follow suit. The availability of discounted F is making up for loss of upgrades, but OTOH, a $900 transcon in A will earn significantly less RDM for me, much less a Y ticket. Discount F earnings will be hammered. (For example, one I'm flying in a couple of weeks would have netted about 17k RDM with the 1k bonus & domestic A bonus; now it will earn about 9k. In Y, it still would have earned me about 12k, but in March will get about 5k.)
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
1. Gold
2. Gold for next year. Just finished trips worth just over 50K to Middle East, and East Asia and miles for another long-haul. I wanted to get the miles in at full value before 3/1. I also want to keep *A lounge access, since Lifetime UA Club is not enough for other *A lounges in some cases. (Got sick as a dog from something I ate / water I drank on the way back from Asia either from a Gold lounge or on a flight, and had to pay for an upgrade so I could sleep on the way back ($$$ + 30K miles used)). I just need to top $25K on CC by end of the year now.
3. Will concentrate on other programs due to the PQD things, and that I want to keep status on the others. I mainly do long haul international, so PQD hurts. AA is looking a lot more interesting. I do want to avoid anything below EconomyPlus-type seating on whatever carrier, however...
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
1. 1K

2. 1K - grinding out the PQM through 3 - 4 intercontinental flights, including LAX-MEL, and a transcon every month or so. PQD doesn't affect me, but I was only a few hundred below the minimum spend for PQD in 2014, and expect to be similar in 2015.

3. The GPUs and RPUs are what keep me flying the friendly skies. When they get slim-lined, I'm gone. Everything else is available from other FF programs - at least for the moment.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
1. 1K (have been for 10+ years)

2. Now that I am a newly minted 2MM, will drop to Plat status in 2016. Will not try to hit any particular spend. Will fly whoever is cheapest. Since the UA program is no longer a loyalty program, why try?

3. I will miss the GPUs and will now get two GPUs per year going forward. No way I'm spending $12K+ on UA just to get to 1K annually. Heck, I'm unlikely to spend more that 3-5K with UA going forward. The payoff ratio is too low for it to matter. I spent $11K in 2014 to hit 150K miles. Quoth the raven, "nevermore." Sure, I could try and go 200K miles for $12K, but that's way too much work and flying. And just not worth it to el

Billy
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: Current: UA 1K, AA EXP; BA Silver; Former: EK Gold (2004-11), LH SEN (2007-14)
1) 1K

2) Gold, Plat, or 1K

3) This is the first year that UA will not be my default airline while AA will. UA has gutted *A (too much of a pain to book on 016 stock to earn PQD's to keep status, and even if I do, there is no CoS bonus on J class on most partners like SQ or extra RDM for status), while AA is wonderfully integrated with OW - including 100% EXP RDM bonus on ALL OW partners.

OW serves SAN better (direct to LHR on BA and to NRT on JAL) and QR and CX are both superb partners to have (I usually fly in paid J to Asia). The EXP status match from AA (with SWU's) was beautifully timed to get me to switch over (would never have taken the plunge otherwise).

I'll still keep Gold on UA (for *A Gold benefits outside the US), but getting to 1K on mostly UA metal just seems painful when I can be flying CX/QR/BA/JL in addition to AA for full EQPs and 200-225% RDM's.

So I'll hit EXP and UA Gold by August and then take a call on whether the rest of the year should be on UA to keep 1K or get to Plat.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
(1) What is your MP Status on UA right now?

No Status

(2) What are your plans for earning MP Premier status for 2016 AND how?

Unlike last year where I flew two non-award UA flights, I've got a decent amount of UA travel booked this year. They've been more price competitive into RDU than in previous years and their schedules are working better for me. I may ask for a status match based on my DL/AA status and fly enough to get Premier Silver

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA?

I plan to visit my brother in Berlin this summer, United/Star has the best schedule. Having status would make it for a better trip, plus I have another six flights booked already, plus the two I already flew, so I may as well enjoy them a little more as a Premier Silver, and earn the extra miles.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:00 am
Suspended

Gold

Remain Gold. ARN-LAX-NRT-BKK-NRT-LAX-ARN, flew 2 trips with SAS, ARN-CPH-NRT-CPH-ARN

Kinda disadvantage to be based in Europe, high probability leaving UA MP.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
1. 1K
2. Mostly work travel to Asia/ME (as posted here many times previously) plus 1-2 leisure TATLs and some additional short haul work and pleasure trips. Buying Q and V fares instead of W when traveling on business to try and bring my spend to $12k. Still purchasing bargain basement for any leisure travel.
3. GPUs are extremely important to me, so 1K is highly preferred.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, MR Gold (lifetime)
(1) 1K
(2) Gold via MM status
(3) IMHO UA/Star Alliance Gold is the most important status to achieve benefit wise & I have it for life (or until UA changes the rules...sigh). Accordingly I will make no particular effort to rise above Gold.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K

None

the $12,000 PQD after only 1 year of PQD requirements is a joke. I am fairly certain the threshold will go up for the 2017 year as well and will just keep shooting upwards. There really is no point in maintaining loyalty to an airline that doesn't invest in its product at all and has no plans to improving service or quality. CO Management keeps preaching patience and that changes wont happen overnight, but it's been what, 3-4 years now?

Oh yeah there's that whole BS earn miles based on amount of money you pay crap. Sure AA will probably go that route eventually in 2016 or 2017 but at least they still have many things UA doesn't. for a frequent flier program that boasts the "most award availability of any us carrier" i could not find a single award flight out of australia between march-may that would work for me but on AA/QF there were like 20 options each day.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
(1) What is your MP Premier Status on UA right now?

Platinum

(2) What are your plans for earning MP Premier status for 2016?

Likely will hit 1K after 3-5 Asia trips on B or Y fares, perhaps a few Europe trips, too. Will buy PQMs if needed to hit 1K this year.

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA (ie, PQDs too high for you, company policies, plans to increase flying on other carriers, UA meets your needs, etc.)

I fly to random places (think "stans") where there aren't many options and UA tends to serve many of them or has codeshares with them. E+ is huge when I'm traveling with my little kids, they have room to stand without bugging other pax. Live near IAD, travel to ORD a lot, so it's another good fit in that way. And I know the system -- am too lazy to learn another airline's ins and outs. Love the GPUs, since we have to jump through mad hoops to buy in J. Sometimes am lucky upgrading with miles, too.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:55 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
(1) I am a lifetime 1K in 2015.

(2) Since I'm exempt from the new PQD, etc. qualification requirements, I do not need to make plans for seeking 2016 status.

(3) I am continuing to cut back on UA flying in 2015 to try AA and DL more. I realize that this means GS is out for me.
I am greatly disappointed in UA for food, customer service,reliability, and because of the reduction in MP benefits the last few years. IMO other carriers have been better in these regards. If and when UA starts making more changes I will like, I will reconsider the amount of flying on UA.

I now fly UA only when I have to, but my upgrade rate has been excellent on UA. AA also gives a great upgrade rate.

(But I still like to follow this Forum on FT).
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
1. 1K and Lifetime Gold
2. Will decide in July whether 1K again or switch to AA
3. Am trying to use my GPUs. Depending upon that and various other factors, I may switch if I can status match to EXP. However, I am fully conscious that AA will also devalue so I may decide it's better the devil I know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.