Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr

THIS IS A THREAD FOR WHICH ALL MP MEMBERS WILL BE ABLE TO RESPOND ...THANKS.
The goal of the survey is to benefit all of us.
This thread is to ask ALL MileagePlus members who read the MileagePlus Forum to please respond to this
short 3 question survey. It will only take a few minutes..

PLEASE PM YOUR MP FTer FRIENDS TO ASK THEM TO ALSO POST IN THIS SURVEY....THANKS.
The 3 questions are in Post #1

WIKI UPDATED FEBRUARY 24 (already over 160 posts)

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI AND POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.

WE NEED YOUR INPUT....PLEASE TAKE PART.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE WHO HAS ALREADY RESPONDED, KINDLY CHECK YOUR POST TO MAKE SURE YOUR REASONS FOR SEEKING THE STATUS LEVEL YOU ARE SEEKING ARE CLEAR IN QUESTION #3. KINDLY CONSIDER EDITING, IF NEEDED. THIS IS TO HELP IN GATHERING OF DATA FOR THE SURVEY, TO BENEFIT US ALL. THANK YOU.

The data will be compiled and posted in this WIKI after approximately each 100 respondants during the year to keep it simple for someone (me) who has trouble figuring out where Boarding Line 1 is

DATA WILL BE UPDATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WIKI

UA monitors these threads. They will not release their statistics on MP membership changes, so let us work together to compile our own data.

PURPOSE OF SURVEY

The aim is to get a very large number of data points in the coming weeks/months to see percentages of those who are planning on dropping, maintaining, or increasing in status through their 2015 earnings activity for 2016 status in MP because of many reasons.

The survey asks persons to state their individual reasons for their 2015 plans for attaining a certain status level for 2016. The survey will determine in a objective, structured, measurable and efficient way, what are persons' experiences in flying on UA in light of various changes in the MileagePlus program or other UA flying experiences that have affected the amount of flying they plan to do on UA in 2015. This MAY affect their planned Premier status. Kindly PM your UA FTer friends to ask them to post in this survey. Thanks.

YOU MAY NOT YET KNOW YOUR SPECIFIC PLANS FOR 2015, ie, number flights within the USA or number of TATL flights you plan to take, etc., but please at least post your general plans...like, "I am Platinum but plan to reduce to Gold for 2016." OR, "I am Gold and plan to keep Gold status." Post the minimum status you know you will likely achieve, even if that may just be GM. Then expound on how you plan to do that and your reasons for seeking or not seeking a certain status level.

Later in the year when you have a better idea of your travel plans, you can come back and post again in this thread, referring back to your original post, so your second post will make it clear that you are not a new person responding.... (AN EXAMPLE FUTURE POST: A POST ON APRIL 10: "I posted on Feb. 10 [QUOTE POST] now I am amending my post... (1)I was Gold on Feb. 10 and estimated I would reach 1K status for 2016. (2) I now realize I will only reach Platinum through the following planned flying on UA....XX TATL flights, XX Domestic (3) I no longer plan to reach 1K, as my travel on UA will be cut and I will not reach the required PQMs for 1K. I am shifting XX% flying to AA and doing a status match. 1K on UA is not valuable to me anymore BECAUSE....state reasons,compared to other airlines.")

(There is another thread to ask persons if their status decreased, stayed the same, or increased from 2014-2015. Please also respond to that survey.) Thanks. [Survey] From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same? The data from that survey will be compiled and reported in that thread.

PLEASE READ POST #1 before responding to this present survey for 2015. Thank you.

Since the PQD requirements have increased in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier Status for all Premier levels
($3,000/$6,000/$9,000/$12,000)
AND since the requirements for earning Reward Mileage is changing on March 1, 2015, this a survey of ALL FTers who belong to MileagePlus about plans for achieving 2016 status throughout 2015.

There has been speculation in this Forum that increases in PQDs for earning 2016 status and the changes in earning Reward miles beginning March 1 may significantly reduce those seeking particular Premier status for 2016. Many other reasons have also been cited in other threads in this Forum for persons reducing their flying on UA in favor of other carriers.

The goal of the survey is to also see if any trends become evident in regards to persons reducing, keeping, or increasing their status in MileagePlus over the course of the next few weeks/months....as well as to see if any trends emerge for reasons given,

It will take just a few minutes for you to respond. THANKS AGAIN FOR TAKING PART.

Statistics will be updated occasionally during the year in this WIKI when a significant number of persons respond to the survey.

Please read Post #1 before responding to this survey. Thank you.

FIRST DATA REPORT FEB. 17

It is very early in the year and not all persons have their specific travel plans for the year. There are many 1Ks who fly enough each year that they already know they will make the requirements and several already have several trips booked, so they have been able to respond to the survey.

I am asking persons to estimate the status they will attain, as some have done, based upon a general idea of the travel they will likely have. People can come back later in the year to amend their plans in this thread when they have a better idea.

Some persons are very clear in their reasons why they will attain certain status. Some persons are making statements like..." I will make somewhere between Gold and Platinum."
When persons make vague statements like that, I take the conservative measure and project the lower status. When I can take some time to see if any trends emerge for reasons, I will update that information. Several have made statements alluding to the increased PQDs and RDM changes, but I noticed no real trend emerging in the early life of this survey.

I do wish persons would go back to their posts to edit and give some clearer reasons for why they are keeping, dropping, or increasing status. That will be more helpful for the survey results to see if any identifiable trends are emerging.

Some persons would not commit to any particular status for 2016, so I did not count them. I am going to clarify in the instructions for the thread to see if persons will commit to the lowest status they likely will achieve in MP for 2016. If you post in the future, please commit to the lowest status you will likely have in MP.

DATA
SO...for the first 100 respondants reported in this survey, here is the breakdown:

3 GS, 52 1k, 13P, 24G, 6S, 2GM.

33/100 report they plan a drop in status from 2015-2016. 62 report they plan to maintain status. 5 report they plan to increase status.

All 3 GS feel they will keep it.

35 1Ks report they will maintain 1K. 5 1Ks report they will drop to Platinum.
11 1Ks report they will drop to Gold or below
(several will maintain Gold through MM status) 1 1K aims for GS

3 Platinums report they will retain Platinum.
9 Platinums report they plan to drop to Gold.
(several will maintain G through MM...I will report later)
1 Platinum reports increasing to 1K

18 Golds report they will retain Gold ( several are MM...I will report this later)
4 Golds report they will drop to Silver. 1 Gold will drop to GM
1 Gold will increase to 1K

3 Silvers will retain Silver, 3 will drop to GM

1GM will aim for Silver, 1 for Gold

PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.
Print Wikipost

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AMEX Plat, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
(1) What is your MP Status on UA right now?
gold from 2011-2013 but silver 2014-2015

(2) What are your plans for earning MP Premier status for 2016 AND how?
i have the explorer cc so the pqd is waived. meeting the waiver of $25k is super easy if you pay your rent every month with your cc. i will be flying as many star alliance carriers as possible to hit the pqm of 25 or 50k for next year. if everything goes according to plan, i will have 51k miles (only 9k on ua metal) and $2k pqd.

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA?
doesn't seem worth it anymore. the only thing i liked as a gold was the lounge access but i have the amex plat card so i get free entry to the amex lounges and international priority pass lounges. amex also pays for my global entry and from what i heard, ua is getting rid of that benefit for plat and 1ks now.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
1) 1K

2) I will attain 1K for 2016 probably by late September or early October. Spend amount to attain is below my annual spend due to the nature of my travel.

3) I'm based in Denver. I fly often with less than a week notice, often less than 3 days. I also change my return portion quite a bit. I need an airline that reaches as many places around the US as possible. Out of Denver, UAL fits what I need to do for convenient travel. That said, if there was a viable alternative I would switch. I am dismayed with the current model of UAL. Jeff Smisek clearly doesn't understand the airline industry, doesn't have an original thought in his head, and continues to disregard the flyers who bring much revenue by further stripping of the M+ loyalty program.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
(1) 1K
(2) Two trips to Asia via the States. One trip to HNL one to the west coast and one to MCO. I'm German so don't need PQD. I guess I could still be 1K in 2016.
(3) I love to fly with UA because of the service,the hardware, the network, the upgrades and that UA is part of *A.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold (as of June 2015)
1) Currently 1K; just my second year as such.

2) Will most likely earn Platinum for 2016-2017 through a combination of 50% domestic and 50% international travel, 95% personal (non-work), 70% paid economy, 30% paid premium cabin. As of now, have enough booked to get fairly close. May well rely on the PQD waiver.

Plan to earn basic status on US/AA.

3) 1K status alone isn't worth choosing UA over more convenient alternatives for me. In other words, in 2014 I would take a UA connection (even a higher priced one) over a US/AA nonstop; now, given the choice, I'll take the US/AA option. Specifically as to why 1K isn't worth it for me: GPUs aren't affordable and flexible enough for me to use much, the IRROPS white glove treatment is nice but I'm not picky there so its value isn't huge for me, and CPUs are still mostly out of reach for me.

I don't want to drop below Platinum right now. Free unlimited award ticket changes and refunds, standby priority (especially when doing a same-day change), and group 1 boarding are important to me. SDC, E+, and the mobile app keep me with UA as my primary carrier.

Thank you for posting the question mkr; I'm excited to see the data come together and hope it yields interesting conclusions.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:42 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
1) 1K MM

2) I will probably attain 1K for 2016 as my spend last year was just over $12K and BIS around 123K

3) I'm based in Denver too and UA is probably my only logical option. I have work commitments in Australia and Europe, I have had good luck in getting GPU's to clear and while the hard product is just adequate at least I know what to expect. All I care on long hauls is the ability to sleep. Food is rubbish and wine is dogwash.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: Paid F
1. Gold

2. Gold. 50,001 EQM goal on UA. Will be flown mostly on non-UA metal on paid international business class fares. $25k Chase CC spend for PQD waiver (via business spend).

3. Reason: MP Plat and 1K perks have been whittled down such that only baggage allowance, access to *A partner lounges in Europe and Asia is worth anything. Received 0 CPU upgrades last year as a Plat on 38 segments flown in UA. Cancelling UA Club membership this year, going with Centurion lounge via Amex Plat card instead. At least they have food and drinks. I live in a UA hub city so I cannot say goodbye altogether, but I would do so with pleasure if I could. As it is, I am just minimizing UA spend commensurate with the reduction in benefits.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:28 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
1. 1k

2. 1k but I am buying the PQD now and working on flying other airlines including Emrates who I'm interested in trying out. Buying the PQD seems like a win-win for me and UA in the short term. Maybe a loss for UA in the long term.

3. Generally happy with UA but given all I spend in the air I'm going to use their new policy of buying PQD to sample the competition. The flexibility to do this is one change that I actually like.
I am sorry, DCEsquire, but I fail to understand your explanation.
My understanding is that PQD are earned from spending on flying (and buying E+). I have not seen anywhere anything about how a person can "buy" PQDs...one however can buy PQMs. Kindly expound.

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
(1) What is your MP Status on UA right now?

(2) What are your plans for earning MP Premier status for 2016 AND how?

Planning to remain 1K.
Paulakers2010, How do you plan on remaining 1K? Do you already have your trips planned to figure out your PQMs/PQDs?

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA?

Still a long way to go for 1MM. After this month of crazy travel, I should still be roughly 300k short, so I am not sure how much more I can do for the rest of the year. Could just suck it up and rack up four TPACs to get closer to 1MM with seven GPUs left. Door to AA is always open for me(Already got 85k taken care of). DL is dead I can fly AF/KL/VS Premium to get more RDMs than the pathetic DL network.
Paulakers2010, Why specifically are you seeking 1K for 2016? What about UA do you like/or not like? What about AA, as you have a lot of flying aready on AA.?
What is your preference between AA & UA?

It does not sound like MM is something you will attain for 2016.

Last edited by mkr; Feb 10, 2015 at 11:50 pm
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Let's be clear

My plans for premier status in 2015:
- Not going to bother. Not worth the effort.

This has nothing to do with PQD. By that measure (2014: $28K spend, 125K BIS miles), I would do better under the proposed system.

The problem: I don't want to earn more miles under the new MP system. The new MP system is not worth any effort at all.

I've switched, have moved to AA. I've done my status match, am already an EXP member. Much better treatment, much better service.

I'm sorry to leave UA, mostly because I recall a time when it was a great airline and when their staff did their best to treat their best customers well. That time is over. I'm no longer willing to put up with United's below par service and their systematic mistreatment of their best customers.

I have all the privileges of a 1K this year. I'm walking away from the GPUs and the RPUs.

Bye bye United.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
(1)What is your MP Premier Status on UA right now?

1K.

(2) What are your plans for earning MP Premier status for 2016?
Will reach 1k
Just crossed 100k pqm, and plan 150k pqm by Feb 28 before mileage deval
3 MR trips from LAX to BAH already
2 biz trips to Asia already
Plan another 3 MR trips EWR to HKG by Feb 28 with flexible work schedule
Plan a few more transcons throughout year
After 3/1 will fly *A carriers for long haul trips

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA (ie, PQDs too high for you, company policies, plans to increase flying on other carriers, UA meets your needs, etc.)

UA deval in mileage & MM status & lousy soft product is disheartening.
But soft product may yet improve as UA seek to hold on & attract ex-UA flyers away from the better soft products of AA-Delta (domestic USA routes) & intl routes.
UA &*A also has best schedule to/from SFO/IAD - Asia vs AA/Delta. Even though ex-SFO/IAD CPU rates have dropped drastically, RPU & GPU clearance is still decent if trip date/time avoids peak traffic.
Do not actively plan 3MM, but may continue fly UA post-2016 & slowly reach 3MM in couple of years if UA improve soft product.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
1. Plat
2. Most likely Gold
3. Mixture of not being able to meet PQD requirements and not having as much time becuase of starting college in the fall.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
1. Gold
2. To be honest, could be between Plat & Silver depending on travel patterns.
3. PQD is irrelevant (chase waiver), but actual time & devaluation of RDMs on MRs (being able to sell it to the SO as a benefit to both of us ) is the main problem I will only travel for work this year.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
1. Was without status after 2014 (now Gold)

2. I got a combo mileage run/short work trip to Singapore in January, transferred over 27K EQMs, and flew a domestic flight to get Gold. I don't see Platinum happening.

3. I made a conscious choice to lose status, figuring that I'd focus my efforts for the beginning of the year to maximize the duration of my status.

ETA: Why I worked to get Gold: I like being able to get E+ seats more than T-24 out, I do get occasional upgrades (esp. when flying on Saturdays or to vacation destinations), United is the only option out of Houston. I pay for lounge access, so being *Gold isn't a factor.

Last edited by pinks; Feb 16, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
1). 1K (1MM)

2). No idea. The only flying I do on US carriers typically is ~6 trips to the US per year (I could also do SIN-NRT and SIN-HKG on UA, but Absolutely would not voluntarily subject myself to it given the alternatives). Probably 1k though.

3). In the past, when I was required to fly coach across the water, I used UA almost exclusively. Ironically, now that I can often (our company's policy is complicated) buy C, making me the type they should want to court, I feel nothing holding me to UA aside from price.

Lately to the cities I fly to most in the US, UA has been cheap, so I will probably hit 1k (or come close enough to make it worth sliding some SQ, ANA, or Air NZ miles to MP. If I don't hit it though, I really don't care, as SQ, EK, CX, and others have made flying enjoyable for me again (even in Y), are more reliable, and are more convenient for the money.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by mkr

Paulakers2010, How do you plan on remaining 1K? Do you already have your trips planned to figure out your PQMs/PQDs?
I will actually have three TPACs, along with one trip to HNL(which I have just completed), today's TCON(SEA), and three more TCONS this month. That should make it 96k PQM, 4k PQM short of 1K.

Originally Posted by mkr

Paulakers2010, Why specifically are you seeking 1K for 2016? What about UA do you like/or not like? What about AA, as you have a lot of flying aready on AA.?
What is your preference between AA & UA?

It does not sound like MM is something you will attain for 2016.
As much as I hate to say it, UA still has their value. I am a big fan of upper deck 747, and it's only UA who still flies 747 SFO-HKG. One of the best benefits for UA is the expert mode that I can get GPU upgrades in short notice, and upgrade priority doesn't rely on time of ticketing and upgrade request. AA blocks most of the C seats and release them in the last minute, and if you shoot for upgrade, it is awfully difficult to get the eVIP upgrade if you don't book it early enough. W-fare/Higher premium international/HNL&LAX/SFO TCON will be my only travel to UA this year. Especially after March, I cannot take any UA/DL flights with much lower RDM earning rate(which I definitely do not like), so AA will take most of the domestic flying and 50% of my international. *A is the second biggest market and network out of HKG. AA/CX/JL is always my top choice because of the Flagship lounge, higher standard of service quality, and the megahub in HKG, but UA/*A attains some good network and routes. UA MM status is always my goal to stick with UA in the short run because my SO normally will inherit my Premier benefit when we travel together, while my parents(with my HKG address) will inherit my UA status, which is very important when it comes to internatonal *G lounge access(It's always great to be in *G lounges in HKG, BKK, NRT/HND, and SIN), and slightly better IRROPS handling. For the rest of the year, most TPAC travels have been booked, but I can still put UA here and there, depending on the upgrade availability of specifically HKG routes which I commute mostly for my parents and my business travel. I hope I can make it close to 800-850k LT miles with UA this year and just suck it up next year to achieve the MM status.

Other items that I do not like about UA:

1. CPU is almost non-existent in popular and hub-to-hub routes, without the help of RPUs/GPUs
2. PQD based of RDM earning post 3/1/2015
3. Non-existent MM earning ability through *A partners.
4. Inconsistent CS.

Other good items that I like UA about:

1. Seems to be still quite consistent when it comes to IRROPs handling experience. (If they cut the 1K benefit of not accommodating hotel with WX, this will stink)
2. SDC ability.
3. Award travel cancellation fee waiver post Platinum

I may only be able to achieve PM one more year with DL with minimal flying, so I have to go with UA/*A for my second option.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Feb 13, 2015 at 6:20 am
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
1) 1k
2) Retain 1k via 1 paid personal TATL, 40+ midcons. PQD not an issue and should end year with 175k PQMs.
3) I want the RPUs and GPUs to use for family travel, and have liked phone sevice. Technology is good, but most importantly, UA has more nonstops to the places I go most to (EWR, SFO, FRA) and better award availability than pretty much any of its competitors.

Only fly in the ointment are upgrade rates. I just came off AUS-IAH this am where 11 of 12 F seats were upgrades and I was #1 on the list. That just cannot be taken seriously...

Last edited by AAExPlat; Feb 17, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.