Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr

THIS IS A THREAD FOR WHICH ALL MP MEMBERS WILL BE ABLE TO RESPOND ...THANKS.
The goal of the survey is to benefit all of us.
This thread is to ask ALL MileagePlus members who read the MileagePlus Forum to please respond to this
short 3 question survey. It will only take a few minutes..

PLEASE PM YOUR MP FTer FRIENDS TO ASK THEM TO ALSO POST IN THIS SURVEY....THANKS.
The 3 questions are in Post #1

WIKI UPDATED FEBRUARY 24 (already over 160 posts)

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI AND POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.

WE NEED YOUR INPUT....PLEASE TAKE PART.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE WHO HAS ALREADY RESPONDED, KINDLY CHECK YOUR POST TO MAKE SURE YOUR REASONS FOR SEEKING THE STATUS LEVEL YOU ARE SEEKING ARE CLEAR IN QUESTION #3. KINDLY CONSIDER EDITING, IF NEEDED. THIS IS TO HELP IN GATHERING OF DATA FOR THE SURVEY, TO BENEFIT US ALL. THANK YOU.

The data will be compiled and posted in this WIKI after approximately each 100 respondants during the year to keep it simple for someone (me) who has trouble figuring out where Boarding Line 1 is

DATA WILL BE UPDATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WIKI

UA monitors these threads. They will not release their statistics on MP membership changes, so let us work together to compile our own data.

PURPOSE OF SURVEY

The aim is to get a very large number of data points in the coming weeks/months to see percentages of those who are planning on dropping, maintaining, or increasing in status through their 2015 earnings activity for 2016 status in MP because of many reasons.

The survey asks persons to state their individual reasons for their 2015 plans for attaining a certain status level for 2016. The survey will determine in a objective, structured, measurable and efficient way, what are persons' experiences in flying on UA in light of various changes in the MileagePlus program or other UA flying experiences that have affected the amount of flying they plan to do on UA in 2015. This MAY affect their planned Premier status. Kindly PM your UA FTer friends to ask them to post in this survey. Thanks.

YOU MAY NOT YET KNOW YOUR SPECIFIC PLANS FOR 2015, ie, number flights within the USA or number of TATL flights you plan to take, etc., but please at least post your general plans...like, "I am Platinum but plan to reduce to Gold for 2016." OR, "I am Gold and plan to keep Gold status." Post the minimum status you know you will likely achieve, even if that may just be GM. Then expound on how you plan to do that and your reasons for seeking or not seeking a certain status level.

Later in the year when you have a better idea of your travel plans, you can come back and post again in this thread, referring back to your original post, so your second post will make it clear that you are not a new person responding.... (AN EXAMPLE FUTURE POST: A POST ON APRIL 10: "I posted on Feb. 10 [QUOTE POST] now I am amending my post... (1)I was Gold on Feb. 10 and estimated I would reach 1K status for 2016. (2) I now realize I will only reach Platinum through the following planned flying on UA....XX TATL flights, XX Domestic (3) I no longer plan to reach 1K, as my travel on UA will be cut and I will not reach the required PQMs for 1K. I am shifting XX% flying to AA and doing a status match. 1K on UA is not valuable to me anymore BECAUSE....state reasons,compared to other airlines.")

(There is another thread to ask persons if their status decreased, stayed the same, or increased from 2014-2015. Please also respond to that survey.) Thanks. [Survey] From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same? The data from that survey will be compiled and reported in that thread.

PLEASE READ POST #1 before responding to this present survey for 2015. Thank you.

Since the PQD requirements have increased in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier Status for all Premier levels
($3,000/$6,000/$9,000/$12,000)
AND since the requirements for earning Reward Mileage is changing on March 1, 2015, this a survey of ALL FTers who belong to MileagePlus about plans for achieving 2016 status throughout 2015.

There has been speculation in this Forum that increases in PQDs for earning 2016 status and the changes in earning Reward miles beginning March 1 may significantly reduce those seeking particular Premier status for 2016. Many other reasons have also been cited in other threads in this Forum for persons reducing their flying on UA in favor of other carriers.

The goal of the survey is to also see if any trends become evident in regards to persons reducing, keeping, or increasing their status in MileagePlus over the course of the next few weeks/months....as well as to see if any trends emerge for reasons given,

It will take just a few minutes for you to respond. THANKS AGAIN FOR TAKING PART.

Statistics will be updated occasionally during the year in this WIKI when a significant number of persons respond to the survey.

Please read Post #1 before responding to this survey. Thank you.

FIRST DATA REPORT FEB. 17

It is very early in the year and not all persons have their specific travel plans for the year. There are many 1Ks who fly enough each year that they already know they will make the requirements and several already have several trips booked, so they have been able to respond to the survey.

I am asking persons to estimate the status they will attain, as some have done, based upon a general idea of the travel they will likely have. People can come back later in the year to amend their plans in this thread when they have a better idea.

Some persons are very clear in their reasons why they will attain certain status. Some persons are making statements like..." I will make somewhere between Gold and Platinum."
When persons make vague statements like that, I take the conservative measure and project the lower status. When I can take some time to see if any trends emerge for reasons, I will update that information. Several have made statements alluding to the increased PQDs and RDM changes, but I noticed no real trend emerging in the early life of this survey.

I do wish persons would go back to their posts to edit and give some clearer reasons for why they are keeping, dropping, or increasing status. That will be more helpful for the survey results to see if any identifiable trends are emerging.

Some persons would not commit to any particular status for 2016, so I did not count them. I am going to clarify in the instructions for the thread to see if persons will commit to the lowest status they likely will achieve in MP for 2016. If you post in the future, please commit to the lowest status you will likely have in MP.

DATA
SO...for the first 100 respondants reported in this survey, here is the breakdown:

3 GS, 52 1k, 13P, 24G, 6S, 2GM.

33/100 report they plan a drop in status from 2015-2016. 62 report they plan to maintain status. 5 report they plan to increase status.

All 3 GS feel they will keep it.

35 1Ks report they will maintain 1K. 5 1Ks report they will drop to Platinum.
11 1Ks report they will drop to Gold or below
(several will maintain Gold through MM status) 1 1K aims for GS

3 Platinums report they will retain Platinum.
9 Platinums report they plan to drop to Gold.
(several will maintain G through MM...I will report later)
1 Platinum reports increasing to 1K

18 Golds report they will retain Gold ( several are MM...I will report this later)
4 Golds report they will drop to Silver. 1 Gold will drop to GM
1 Gold will increase to 1K

3 Silvers will retain Silver, 3 will drop to GM

1GM will aim for Silver, 1 for Gold

PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.
Print Wikipost

[2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:11 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)

PLEASE READ THE WIKI AND ALL OF POST #1 BEFORE POSTING IN THIS SURVEY. THANKS.

PLEASE PM YOUR MP FTer FRIENDS TO INFORM THEM ABOUT THIS SURVEY. THANKS.

UA monitors these threads. They will not release their statistics on MP membership changes, so let us work together to compile our own data.

Since the PQD requirements have increased in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier Status for all Premier levels
($3,000/$6,000/$9,000/$12,000)
AND since the requirements for earning Reward Mileage is changing on March 1, 2015,

this is a brief survey of ALL FTers who belong to MileagePlus about plans for achieving 2016 status throughout 2015. THANKS FOR TAKING PART IN THIS SURVEY.

The goal of this SURVEY to see if any trends are established in the coming weeks and months among MileagePlus members who post in Flyertalk in regards to attaining 2016 Premier Status through 2015 earnings activity.

There has been speculation in this Forum that increases in PQDs for earning in 2015 MP status for 2016 and the changes in earning Reward miles beginning March 1 may significantly reduce those seeking certain levels of Premier status for 2016.

Many other reasons have also been cited why persons may be reducing their flying on UA and/or also their status with MileagePlus. This survey will determine percentages of respondants who are decreasing, maintaining or increasing their MileagePlus status for 2016 through their 2015 planned earnings activity. Respondants are requested to expound upon reasons for seeking certain status levels. We will see if any trends emerge in regards to reasons.

YOU MAY NOT YET KNOW YOUR SPECIFIC PLANS FOR flying on UA in 2015, ie, number of flights within the USA or number of TATL flights you plan to take, etc., but please at least post your general plans...POST THE MINIMUM STATUS YOU KNOW YOU WILL LIKELY ACHIEVE...like, "I am Platinum but plan to reduce to Gold for 2016." OR, "I am Gold and plan to keep Gold status." Then expound on how you plan to do that and your reasons. Later in the year when you have a better idea of your travel plans, you can come back and post again to amend your original plans in this thread, referring back to your original post.

(There is a separate thread that is asking if persons' status decreased, stayed the same, or increased between 2014-2015. Please also respond to that short survey. Thanks.)
[Survey] From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same?

After enough data points are received from enough posters for this thread, the WIKI will be periodically updated throughout the year, to summarize statistics from this survey.

Please keep answers short and simple. This is a SURVEY. Please do not get into long debates with other posters about UA policies, IRROPS, WiFi, food, etc. . There are plenty of other threads where you have opportunities to do that. Thanks for keeping this thread simple.

Please expound in detail for your top several reasons in question #3...you can make short statements just please do not write several long paragraphs in a long essay .....see example reasons later
Feel free to come back and edit if you think of something else later. THANKS FOR TAKING PART.

GO AHEAD AND POST NOW YOUR GENERAL PLANS FOR 2015.

IF YOUR PLANS CHANGE LATER IN THE YEAR, PLEASE COME BACK TO THIS SURVEY AND POST A NEW POST, REFERRING BACK BY QUOTING TO YOUR ORIGINAL POST. THAT WAY YOUR SECOND POST WILL NOT AFFECT THE OVERALL DATA AS IT CAN BE EASILY UDATED WHEN YOU REFER TO YOUR ORIGINAL POST. THANKS.
PLEASE ANSWER CONCISELY:

(1) What is your MP Status on UA right now?
(General Member, Silver Premier, etc.)

(2) What are your plans for earning certain MP Premier status for 2016 AND how will you achieve that status?

(EXAMPLES: I plan to stay GM; I plan on jumping from GM to 1K; I plan on staying Plat.; I plan to drop from 1K to Plat; I plan to increase from Silver to Gold,etc. ..... I plan to do this by: NO SPECIFIC TRIPS PLANNED-BUT WILL BE TAKING ENOUGH USA/INTERNATIONAL to earn PQD/PQM; taking xxx flights on UA from USA to _____,
xxx flights on UA to USA from _____, xxx flights on UA within the USA, xxx flights on UA from ____ to ______, etc.,...these trips should earn my PQDs, PQMs,....; I plan to purchase PQMs; I am exempt from PQD requirements...BECAUSE, etc. )

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain Premier Status in 2015 for 2016 with UA?

( please expound by citing your several reasons..., (there may be more reasons specific to you not suggested here) EXAMPLE REASONS:..., I don't fly enough to qualify for Premier Silver; I earn MileagePlus miles mostly from credit cards, hotel stays, car rentals; I am a Platinum but cannot qualify for 1K...PQDs increase now too high for you; you have a credit card waiver for PQD requirements; you have an address waiver for PQD requirements; company policies regarding certain fare purchases or flying on specific carriers do OR do not limit you to UA; plans to increase flying on other carriers; UA meets your needs better for routes you need to fly; you live in a "Captive UA Hub" and do not have many choices; you find food, service, reliability, better on other specific carriers; you have experienced upgrade rate better on other specific carriers compared to UA; MileagePlus new policies for Reward mileage making you seek other carriers for more of your flying; MileagePlus new Reward mileage policy works out better for you...BECAUSE...;
after you reach "X" status on UA, you plan on flying other specific carriers...BECAUSE...; you want to earn *Gold for using with partner carriers/lounges; you plan on now earning reward mileage on other specific carriers because of changes in MileagePlus Reward mileage earnings requirements; you plan on using partner airlines of UA or other specific carriers; you plan on flying UA for business and other carriers for leisure, etc.)

THANKS AGAIN FOR TAKING PART IN THIS SURVEY, AND PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COME BACK AND EDIT YOUR POST IF YOU THINK OF SOMETHING ELSE. WIKI will be updated approximately after every 100 posts to keep my poor brain focused (I do not even know how to find Boarding Line #1).

PLEASE PM YOUR MP FTer FRIENDS TO INFORM THEM ABOUT THIS SURVEY. THANKS.

Happy Flying and the best to you in 2015.

Last edited by mkr; Feb 22, 2015 at 2:23 am Reason: tweaking thread for more clarity
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: United Plat
(1) Gold
(2) Two trips to Asia. Two trips to Europe. One trip to east coast. One or two to LA area. Own UA Club Visa card to get PQD waiver. I guess I could still be Gold in 2016.
(3) UA takes me safely from point A to point B. I also prefer using SFO as the entry point when I fly back from a foreign country. No strong reason for me to go with AA or DL at this point.

Last edited by sfo3388; Feb 2, 2015 at 12:47 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
(1) Hopefully only temporary drop from GS --> 1K. GS Challenge for re-invite to go back to GS in 2015.
(2) Travel every week, spend every week, meet the criteria. 1K at least. Ultimately, get re-invited to GS.
(3) GS rules and I have many years invested in UAL. Goal is 4MM and only need 1.7MM more BIS to get there
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
(1) Gold (via MM status)
(2) None, I'm about 85K from 2MM, will fly UA if its direct and cheaper and no good options on OAL, will hit 2MM someday, but no interest in flying 75K (or 100K miles) on the current version of United.
(3) United is a bottom feeder airline, and I get better treatment and product flying DL, AS, VX, and foreign carriers. I just buy A/P fares, or get "Delta Comfort" or MCS from my status.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mkr

(1) What is your MP Premier Status on UA right now?

(2) What are your plans for earning MP Premier status for 2016?

(3) What are your reasons for seeking or not seeking certain status on UA (ie, PQDs too high for you, company policies, plans to increase flying on other carriers, UA meets your needs, etc.)

Happy Flying and the best to you in 2015.
1. 1k

2. 1k but I am buying the PQD now and working on flying other airlines including Emrates who I'm interested in trying out. Buying the PQD seems like a win-win for me and UA in the short term. Maybe a loss for UA in the long term.

3. Generally happy with UA but given all I spend in the air I'm going to use their new policy of buying PQD to sample the competition. The flexibility to do this is one change that I actually like.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT

Gold, Plt or 1K...but I will not go out of my way to requalify for 1K.

$12k PQD is too much...2 years ago I spent about $7500. Last year about $11000. With the higher taxes and fees it would be $14000 to requalify...nearly doubling of spend within 2 years.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by spin88
(1) Gold (via MM status)
(2) None, I'm about 85K from 2MM, will fly UA if its direct and cheaper and no good options on OAL, will hit 2MM someday, but no interest in flying 75K (or 100K miles) on the current version of United.
(3) United is a bottom feeder airline, and I get better treatment and product flying DL, AS, VX, and foreign carriers. I just buy A/P fares, or get "Delta Comfort" or MCS from my status.
spin, come on. =) I know you hate UA more than the next guy, but lifetime plat? That you can "gift" to somebody else <that lives at your house....>?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:37 pm

silver...going on nothing

mostly just not flying that much this year, and much of it is award tix-I don't think I'll hit 20k BIS on paid tix
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
1) Gold

2) I'll be either Gold or Silver next year.

3) The post-3.1 changes really impact me as a Presidential Plus credit card holder who pays for my own tickets. I'm exempt from PQMs, but under the new rules it will be very hard for me to make even Silver despite 50k+ BIS miles.
•One immediate change: all international travel after 3/1 will be booked on Star Alliance partner airlines. Even 50% RDMs sure beats 5%; plus service must be better, even on whatever the second worst Star Alliance airline might be. (EgyptAir? Air India?)
•In a credit card + TOD world, with very few upgrades as a Gold since the merger, I'm grateful for this change because it ultimately means I no longer have any reason to be loyal to UA.
•I will do a status match to AA early next year to preserve mid-level elite for another year; then I'll get AA + VX + DL credit cards for the free bags.
•I look forward to not being tethered to UA for nothing else if not free beer over oceans.

The net/net/net: By devaluing both elite status and miles, United no longer differentiates itself to keep this customer.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: CM PP DL GM
1. GS Now till next jan was a 1K in 2014

2.I will do my best to Achieve GS for 2016 but most likely will be 1K the biggest problem that my company has me working out of Spain most of this year and United don't have the best service to Spain other *S alliance have better service that is fine but I don't get those dollars that I spend there to count towards my GS consideration. Also the new was to earn miles I don't like it because adding this to my issue with Spanish connection and AA offering a better service and program to Spain my be it would be better for me

3. Loyalty but I don't know for how long because United goes out of its way to make their program worst , UA has made their best effort to make in worst 2014 the devaluation of our Miles and PQD will really I don't mid but the way they devalued the award charts that I do and now with new method to earn miles since I don't live in the USA I can take benefit of all the offers of none airlines partners. Like I said before has my looking at new options like AA

Last edited by MARIOCASTRO777; Feb 17, 2015 at 3:17 am Reason: Wanted to extend
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
(1) Now Silver until 1/31/16, was 1K, headed to Pa Kettle by 2/1/2016
(2) do not expect to fly UA this year for revenue travel other than the one RT already flown
(3) have found other carriers that i find to be a better value proposition, from the perspective of RDMs earned, upgrades received, on-board hard and soft product, and customer service. one of these airlines has similar PQ$ requirements (DL) and the others do not (B6, AS).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
1. 1K

2. 1K

3. Loyalty, convenience to EWR, PHL, LGA. While retired and flying on my own dime for the past two years, PQD is not a problem at least through 2015.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
1. Gold
2. 4 or 5 TATL trips and 2 or 3 transcons on UA, maybe some other *A
3. working on MM status, travel mostly in Y on my dime and E+ is very important
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Gold

A combination of less business flying in 2015 and the realization that going out of my way for higher status on an airline that didn't appreciate my loyalty was a fool's errand.

Before the merger, I would fly United even when it was inconvenient and not the cheapest option. I did this because elite status actually meant something. Today, it still offers benefits over being a general member, but the value proposition has shifted drastically.

Before March 2012, UA CSRs would actually call me to ask if they could change a departure flight the next day because they foresaw a problem with my planned flight. Before March 2012, I had direct access to 1K agents who were empowered to solve problems. Before March 2012, I trusted that the upgrade system worked fairly. Before March 2012, the boarding process was simple, efficient, and didn't require one to become gate lice in order to ensure there was overhead storage. Before March 2012, IROPS protection was industry-leading.

I have no doubt that elite members of pmUA probably received benefits that the airline couldn't afford over the long run, and that some of these benefits had to be cut back. Which is what I meant when I said above that the value proposition has changed. I still fly United, and will for the foreseeable future. I just won't fly them with the near exclusivity that I once did, because I'm no longer receiving the same benefit I used to receive for my loyalty.

No anger here, just sadness for what used to be - especially for the hard-working front line employees of UA I've enjoyed interacting with over the years.

Last edited by halls120; Feb 14, 2015 at 11:56 am
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold (Million Miler), Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond Lifetime
(1) 1K
(2) I have only 20K to make it to MM status, thus Gold, at that point I'll only fly United if it's a non-stop
(3) Reduced service (both in-flight everywhere and schedule-wise from Seattle). They've done everything except shut off the lights. Time to switch to Alaska.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.