Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mm1984
SO I will have 100k UA points or so (50k from UA credit card, 50k from flying over the years) . RIght now i am silver, how much are these points worth? ...
If USA based , it takes 60K miles to get a saver award to Europe or 80K to Australia

The award chart is available online.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...xxx-miles.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-miles-ua.html

Originally Posted by mm1984
... THe whole PQM thing is very confusing. I am not planning on flying anywhere though apart from whatever i can get out of free flights.
PQM is different from redeemable award miles (RDMs). PQMs are a different type of credit, and is used to determine status and cannot be used to booked trips. On award flights you will not earn any PQMs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 12, 2015 at 4:02 pm
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Hello all - coming back for some more wisdom,

I'd like to book a flight on Copa Airlines but have one part of the segment be in business and the other be in economy (to save some coin). Is there a way to do this on a one way ticket booking? I can't seem to figure it out directly on Copa's website. Perhaps a 3rd party allows? Some other trick perhaps? ASU-PTY-IAD is what I'm trying to book with the ASU-PTY part in business (the longer of the 2 segments).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Hello all - coming back for some more wisdom,

I'd like to book a flight on Copa Airlines but have one part of the segment be in business and the other be in economy (to save some coin). Is there a way to do this on a one way ticket booking? I can't seem to figure it out directly on Copa's website. Perhaps a 3rd party allows? Some other trick perhaps? ASU-PTY-IAD is what I'm trying to book with the ASU-PTY part in business (the longer of the 2 segments).
It is unlikely that you'll save much money doing it that way because the fare will break in PTY and you'll be buying two one-way tickets, ASU-PTY + PTY-IAD rather than just ASU-IAD.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by sbm12
It is unlikely that you'll save much money doing it that way because the fare will break in PTY and you'll be buying two one-way tickets, ASU-PTY + PTY-IAD rather than just ASU-IAD.
OK, got it. Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
An award RT is a combination of one-ways. But only an RT is allowed to have >24 hour stopover. So as separate OWs you would have not been able to have the short break / stopover @ LHR. RT was needed to meet your requirement.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-tickets.html

yes, not a problem -- but there may be a fee for the change

More in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html
Thanks Wine Country, that was excellent!
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:17 am

I flew ORD-VIE on Austrian in February of this year -- miles have not posted to account (RDM or PQM). Was in class K.

According to the partner earning page for Austrian, it looks like I should get 50% PQM, and 0 RDM, right?

Another coworker who was on the same flight apparently spent some time arguing with customer service about not getting any miles for this leg, PQM or RDM. They apparently insisted (and provided the link above) that no miles of any sort could be earned from a K fare on Austrian. Am I reading the link wrong?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jobst
Am I reading the link wrong?
Yes.

Look at the section labeled "For flights flown before March 1, 2015:" and you'll see that "K" is not one of the listed fares so you earn nothing.

The Premier Qualification table at the bottom applies only for flights after 1 March. The page layout is a bit confusing that way, but it is the way the charts work.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jobst
I flew ORD-VIE on Austrian in February of this year -- miles have not posted to account (RDM or PQM). Was in class K.

According to the partner earning page for Austrian, it looks like I should get 50% PQM, and 0 RDM, right?

Another coworker who was on the same flight apparently spent some time arguing with customer service about not getting any miles for this leg, PQM or RDM. They apparently insisted (and provided the link above) that no miles of any sort could be earned from a K fare on Austrian. Am I reading the link wrong?
for more on the pre-March situation, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post18861759
and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...miles-pqd.html .

At least next time you will get something.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
IRROPS has changed a 2 hour connection this afternoon at IAH to about a 20 minute connection. Fine and dandy, so long as we don't delay again. I've already had two texts pushing the departure time of the flight into IAH back.
Question is, if I miss my flight, how much luck am I going to have getting on a later flight directly to my hometown. I didn't book the direct flight originally b/c its a CR700 and I don't like them, but if I miss my planned IAH/LAX tonight I no longer have a ride from LAX home.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mezzowithcorigis
IRROPS has changed a 2 hour connection this afternoon at IAH to about a 20 minute connection. Fine and dandy, so long as we don't delay again. I've already had two texts pushing the departure time of the flight into IAH back.
Question is, if I miss my flight, how much luck am I going to have getting on a later flight directly to my hometown. I didn't book the direct flight originally b/c its a CR700 and I don't like them, but if I miss my planned IAH/LAX tonight I no longer have a ride from LAX home.
Change to the direct flight. A 20 minute connection at IAH is asking for trouble, especially if you have to change from, say Terminal C, to Terminal E.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: Singapore Air, Delta, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood
Earning Miles on United

The following link from United's website is confusing to me.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...es/united.aspx

If I purchase a B fare ticket directly from United Airlines for a United Flight will it still earn 150% Premier Qualifying Miles as in the past or has that changed?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by DCP913
The following link from United's website is confusing to me.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...es/united.aspx

If I purchase a B fare ticket directly from United Airlines for a United Flight will it still earn 150% Premier Qualifying Miles as in the past or has that changed?
That (150% PQM for B) is what is stated on that page (and eslewhere).
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
Originally Posted by aacharya
Change to the direct flight. A 20 minute connection at IAH is asking for trouble, especially if you have to change from, say Terminal C, to Terminal E.
Thanks. My concern was more along the lines of "will they let me change destination cities without refare" rather than "should I try to change"

At check-in (had to go to the counter, had an in-cabin pet) the TA insisted that it was still a valid connection and wouldn't rebook. An hour later the flight is delayed another 30 minutes. This time I'm already airside, so went to a CS rep who gladly changed, no issue with changing the destination city. Successfully re-routed a checked bag and handed me a boarding pass with the same assigned seat as original flight (2A). Pet confirmation even followed the re-booking, which has sometimes been an issue with changes.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by mezzowithcorigis
Thanks. My concern was more along the lines of "will they let me change destination cities without refare" ...
Depends on the agent but most will IME. At least most UA agents will. BA denied me hard after cancelling a flight on me.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:37 pm

What if one were to requalify for status as a non-US resident (i.e. PQDs don't apply), then move back to the US after requalification? Would the status qualification then be revoked until PQDs are reached?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.