Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newsmax as default channel on DTV

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:04 pm

UA received compensation?

I saw this channel. It sucks. I'm not surprised the only way they can get viewers is to pay UA to turn it on.

I will now smile as this may be the first sign of the end of Newsmax.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by greg99
That's not actually what the Chicago Tribune article said. The article said that "United has no agreement with Newsmax and received no direct revenue from Live TV's agreement with Newsmax, Johnson [UA spokesman] said." [emphasis added]

"No direct revenue" is emphatically not the same as saying they received "no compensation." That suggests to me that they were somehow compensated for this, otherwise they would have said "no compensation."

Greg
If it's not revenue what kind of compensation do you think United got?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by BB2220
Oh, I do think they got a cut of the revenue. I believe the operative word here is "indirect" - there are an infinite number of ways to structure indirect revenue streams.

Greg
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by greg99
Oh, I do think they got a cut of the revenue. I believe the operative word here is "indirect" - there are an infinite number of ways to structure indirect revenue streams.

Greg
All that means is that UA doesn't get the customer payments directly. Goes to LiveTV/DTV and UA gets a cut of it on the back end. How does everyone think UA gets paid or allows the DTV system on their planes?

It's comical that such a silly thing like this gets people all spun up. God forbid anyone gave a darn about some of the real problems in this country, haha.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Originally Posted by TMtraveler
All that means is that UA doesn't get the customer payments directly. Goes to LiveTV/DTV and UA gets a cut of it on the back end. How does everyone think UA gets paid or allows the DTV system on their planes?

It's comical that such a silly thing like this gets people all spun up. God forbid anyone gave a darn about some of the real problems in this country, haha.
Spot on! I see so few people swipe I'd be curious if the small cut UA gets makes a difference. Outside of something like the Super Bowl or another major sports events, I only see the folks in First class take advantage of the system. On the other hand, LiveTV is still around so there must be users....
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by BB2220
Since UA pays DIRECTV for the service, they could be receiving a discount, which wouldn't constitute revenue, per se.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
Just defaulting to the channel guide would be the way to go, imho.
While I see no problem with them defaulting to different regular channels, I agree this would be best, only when considering that too many people love complaining just for the sake of complaining.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Why isn't the default the flight map?! That sounds like a no-brainer
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Since UA pays DIRECTV for the service, they could be receiving a discount, which wouldn't constitute revenue, per se.
Actually UA does not pay DirectTV/LiveTV for the service, DirectTV/LiveTV receives all the customer revenue as they are the owners of the system.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Why isn't the default the flight map?! That sounds like a no-brainer
Because LiveTV wouldn't receive revenue for selling the rights.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Actually UA does not pay DirectTV/LiveTV for the service, DirectTV/LiveTV receives all the customer revenue as they are the owners of the system.
Really? I'm amazed that this product is viable with just the a la carte purchases for economy pax. Did UA pay for the gear?

Because LiveTV wouldn't receive revenue for selling the rights.
Yup.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Really? I'm amazed that this product is viable with just the a la carte purchases for economy pax. Did UA pay for the gear? ....
DirecTV/LiveTV provided the equipment (and paid for the install?) in exchange for the revenue. No cost to pmCO (this was all premerger) but no revenue to UA/pmCO was how the deal was structured.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...has-begun.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...tv-elites.html
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
DirecTV provided the equipment (and paid for the install?) in exchange for the revenue. No cost to pmCO (this was all premerger) but no revenue to UA/pmCO was how the deal was structured.
UA certainly gets some kind of rev share back (maybe net of some costs or F service credits).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.