Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newsmax as default channel on DTV

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by spin88

For a major publicly traded corporation to allow someone to pipe extremely ideologically slanted propaganda to its "best" customers is just insane. Like it or not, 99% of fliers who see it will think United chose the channel, and take it out on United.
I wonder if UA *did* get some compensation from NewsMax for airing their {material}, disguised as news, as the default choice?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 12, 2015 at 9:41 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed. http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:10 pm

I can deal with the crappy propaganda channel being on. All I have to do is not plug in my headphones and adjust the brightness down until it shuts off. What really bugs me is the blasting loud advertising on the PA telling people to swipe their cards. It's louder than the safety announcement (at least, it seems like it), and is just annoying as all hell. Can't tune that out, either.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by StingWest
I wonder if UA *did* get some compensation from NewsMax for airing their {material}, disguised as news, as the default choice?
From earlier in the thread
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Had a chance to talk with someone close to the matter and it was handled on the Directv end - not a UA money grab.
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
.... Can't tune that out, either.
Bose QC15
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I've yet to see NewsMax set as the default channel on a UA aircraft, but I've also noticed that the default channel isn't always consistent - sometimes it's CNN, sometimes ESPN, sometimes WNBC/4. Do the FAs have the ability to set the default channel from the control panel near the 1L door?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Perhaps UA could do like the military Armed Forces Network (AFN) does: alternate Fox with MSNBC so the far Right and far Left are both happy?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:02 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Critic
I've yet to see NewsMax set as the default channel on a UA aircraft, but I've also noticed that the default channel isn't always consistent - sometimes it's CNN, sometimes ESPN, sometimes WNBC/4. Do the FAs have the ability to set the default channel from the control panel near the 1L door?
Hmm--maybe those are times they haven't reset the IFE system at all during the turn, and you're seeing what the prior pax had selected?

It's been Newsmax every time I've flown since the change.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Pukemax on all my recent flights.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:57 pm

More detail on the arrangement...

It was set to run September through January. UA received no compensation for it - was a Live TV / Newsmax / DirecTV deal.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...html?track=rss

In February it will change to a different channel (sounds like CNBC) as previously planned.

What's interesting is UA had a chance to veto it before launch. Maybe the person in charge was simply uninformed. Who knows - sounds like it was a mid level management call.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Ha, that blew up in their faces.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
I don't understand why this is such a big deal... There's this little channel changer deal to the side that changes the channel. People will ..... about anything...
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Newsmax as default channel on DTV

On one of my recent flights Newsmax was showing a documentary of the Holocaust. Most people didn't know how to or bother to turn the screen off, so I got to see images of concentration camps and dead bodies. A great way to spend a few hours ::
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
Originally Posted by zigzagg900
On one of my recent flights Newsmax was showing a documentary of the Holocaust. Most people didn't know how to or bother to turn the screen off, so I got to see images of concentration camps and dead bodies. A great way to spend a few hours ::
And the same thing could happen if the default is History, CNN, FNC, MSNBC, Smithsonian... I could go on...

If we want to talk content... CNN with their wall-to-wall disaster coverage like MH370 and AirAsia can be pretty upsetting on a flight for some people... My flight yesterday was taking off when the bomb threats broke and a lot of the screens were showing it. I'm sure there were some upset people.

Chris Matthews on MSNBC makes my skin crawl... But I know how to change the channel...

I know people who HATE Tennis and would probably flame @United for it, so better make sure it's not the Tennis Channel... Oh, and god forbid MLS or Fox Soccer... There are a lot of rabid anti-soccer fans in the US... Come on.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Defaulting to any channel that is political is asking for trouble--whether that is Fox News or MSNBC or anything in between. Why risk pissing off customers with something avoidable?

People frequently don't realize how to turn the screen off (dim until dark isn't totally intuitive for all versus an outright OFF button). Something relatively unoffensive to a large number of people seems like a reasonable default channel to have on. Something like GSN, Food Network, ESPN, or the like. Non-political and not implying or appearing that the company has a certain political position it's pushing.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UAzip
Defaulting to any channel that is political is asking for trouble--whether that is Fox News or MSNBC or anything in between. Why risk pissing off customers with something avoidable?

People frequently don't realize how to turn the screen off (dim until dark isn't totally intuitive for all versus an outright OFF button). Something relatively unoffensive to a large number of people seems like a reasonable default channel to have on. Something like GSN, Food Network, ESPN, or the like. Non-political and not implying or appearing that the company has a certain political position it's pushing.
Just defaulting to the channel guide would be the way to go, imho.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
More detail on the arrangement...

It was set to run September through January. UA received no compensation for it - was a Live TV / Newsmax / DirecTV deal.
That's not actually what the Chicago Tribune article said. The article said that "United has no agreement with Newsmax and received no direct revenue from Live TV's agreement with Newsmax, Johnson [UA spokesman] said." [emphasis added]

"No direct revenue" is emphatically not the same as saying they received "no compensation." That suggests to me that they were somehow compensated for this, otherwise they would have said "no compensation."

Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.