Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newsmax as default channel on DTV

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:45 pm

Had a chance to talk with someone close to the matter and it was handled on the Directv end - not a UA money grab.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I was surprised newsmax was the default channel. I was in F, so I don't know what it was in coach.

My first thought was that UA found another way to make a chunk of money. They must charge a fortune for the privilege of being default.

IMHO, the station guide should be default.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
The company is not DirecTV, but LiveTV. LiveTV is the company manufacturing the hardware, providing the IFE, doing deals with airlines, etc. DirecTV is just the content provider in the US.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: united mileage plus
I saw this default on a recent flight to SFO. I thought it was individual passengers choosing this channel but then noticed that all the screens had this showing on entry. I didn't even know this channel existed. I thought Newsmax was one of those odd pop-up ad sites that jump up when you choose a strange story on yahoo. Kind of like an evil Ripley's. The story line at the bottom of the screen was pretty offensive. Hope "live tv" moves to the guide as default.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Count me as another frequent flyer who was disappointed by this, as the network in question is stridently, unapologetically partisan. Even the crawl across the bottom of the screen was eyebrow-raising, and I'm about as moderate politically as they come.

It just isn't the brand experience UA should provide as the default.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
It always seems to be either CNN or ESPN for me. I don't know what this Newsmax thing is, but it sounds bizarre. Doesn't really matter to me since I'll always change the channel or turn it off entirely right away.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
.... It just isn't the brand experience UA should provide as the default.
This is what happens when you give a vendor direct access to the customer. LiveTV/DirecTV owns the system and they make the choices. UA gave them unfettered access to the UA customer in exchange for a "free to UA" IFE system.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
A nice number 10 envelope, opened up, glue nicely to the screen and covers it.

You can neatly write "out of service" on it too and make it look official.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
A nice number 10 envelope, opened up, glue nicely to the screen and covers it.

You can neatly write "out of service" on it too and make it look official.
much easier to just turn it off /dim it out.

And since this appears to only be First and DirecTV is free, change the channel (but I usually just turn off DirecTV).
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BB2220
I've seen it on every flight I've been on. It's newsmax in first, ESPN in coach
Today is TBS in Y and Newsmax in F. Also, battlefield upgrade cleared.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Today is TBS in Y and Newsmax in F. Also, battlefield upgrade cleared.
Well that makes sense since newsmax would only care about pax in F .
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by andyh64000
Well that makes sense since newsmax would only care about pax in F .
The 1% who can afford to buy F or successfully game the upgrade matrix.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by fdflys
I saw this default on a recent flight to SFO. I thought it was individual passengers choosing this channel but then noticed that all the screens had this showing on entry. I didn't even know this channel existed. I thought Newsmax was one of those odd pop-up ad sites that jump up when you choose a strange story on yahoo. Kind of like an evil Ripley's. The story line at the bottom of the screen was pretty offensive. Hope "live tv" moves to the guide as default.
I also was annoyed by this poor choice of default channel in FC (2 flights) recently. Newsmax, to those who may not be familiar with it, is a "news" source for people who think Fox News is too liberal

Yes, I know I can (with some effort on the 737) change the channel, or better, turn it off, but still...
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
It wasn't default today - maybe deal ended this month.
Just defaulted to it on my flight now

Classy as usual - as soon as we're in the air (pass the initial round of ads), I turn it off (or, turn off the brightness til it goes off ) 5 minutes later, it turns back on w/Newsmax (and anyone who had it on already, it turned to Newsmax)
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I had this on my last UA flight - in December. Total turn off. I don't expect to see either Fox or MSNBC as a default channel, but having a station like Newmax that makes Joseph Goebbels look "fair and balanced" as your default channel is even worse for the United Brand.

For a major publicly traded corporation to allow someone to pipe extremely ideologically slanted propaganda to its "best" customers is just insane. Like it or not, 99% of fliers who see it will think United chose the channel, and take it out on United.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Just defaulted to it on my flight now

Classy as usual - as soon as we're in the air (pass the initial round of ads), I turn it off (or, turn off the brightness til it goes off ) 5 minutes later, it turns back on w/Newsmax (and anyone who had it on already, it turned to Newsmax)

Had the same experience on a recent transcon - defaulted randomly on me a couple of times in flight.

Reminded myself of an old Soviet-era joke: in former Soviet Union, there were two TV channels - first showed Communist Party meetings, rallies etc. etc. When one switched to the second channel, a policeman would come on and ask: "Why aren't you watching the first channel?"

If it is a strategy to make dark planes look appealing, it may work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.