Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Stranded in Cabo After Hurricane Odile - What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stranded in Cabo After Hurricane Odile - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Travel insurance?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Travel insurance?
I dint think travel insurance can help you much when there's no commercial or even civil service. I would be trying to get on those airlifts to Tijauana. Then just cab it to SAN.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Stupid question, but didn't people know this hurricane was coming. I know when one is coming to mainland USA they warn days before that a hurricane is coming. Even a week out they give the likely path it will go.

I start looking up the weather on a place I'm going to go 2 weeks out. I'm constantly checking the week of. I will never go somewhere for vacation if I know there could be a hurricane approaching.

I'm also very mindful of tsunami when vacationing at beach destinations. I always look for the highest place and I have an evacuation plan in the back of my mind at all times.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CO777DAL
Stupid question, but didn't people know this hurricane was coming. I know when one is coming to mainland USA they warn days before that a hurricane is coming. Even a week out they give the likely path it will go.

I start looking up the weather on a place I'm going to go 2 weeks out. I'm constantly checking the week of. I will never go somewhere for vacation if I know there could be a hurricane approaching.

I'm also very mindful of tsunami when vacationing at beach destinations. I always look for the highest place and I have an evacuation plan in the back of my mind at all times.
You might be interested in this thread that I started in OMNI:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...certainty.html
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
If you can get to the airport there are some military flights leaving for TJ and Mazatlan.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Facebook helps

I went onto the Facebook page of the resort and read their information. According to them everyone is being fed but that's all the information they are giving except that there were no serious injuries. I asked that they contact my friend and give her the message that her flight was rebooked for Saturday. But they took my post down!

One of the things they mentioned was an "air bridge" to get the tourists out but I didn't know what that meant. After doing some research I think they meant air evacuation to Tijuana by the Mexican military for the tourists stuck in Cabo.

My friends are traveling with way too much heavy luggage, two bags @50lbs, and several carryon pieces. There's no way they can handle all that alone. In fact I know that they count on porters, et al, to move their stuff from place to place. I hope someone steps up to help them.

I have been in touch with their family members who are equally as distressed as I. If anyone has any further information please post it. Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:58 pm

Alaska Airlines is flying 3 humanitarian flights today - 2 SJD to LAX and one SJD to SAN.
See posting under Alaska Airlines. They flew 14 ground employees down this morning to process passengers for these flights. Are taking Alaska booked passengers first, then other airline passengers.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...s-out-sjd.html
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by icydog

My friends are traveling with way too much heavy luggage, two bags @50lbs, and several carryon pieces. There's no way they can handle all that alone. In fact I know that they count on porters, et al, to move their stuff from place to place. I hope someone steps up to help them.
Evacuate does not equal leisurely, orderly, porter-assisted departure.

The friends may need to make some choices about what's important - crap in their luggage, or getting out of SJD.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Hope for the best for your elderly friends. The quoted part above simply reminds us another reason to always travel light. Your friends may need to consider abandoning the vast majority of their luggage, and taking hand baggage with only the necessities.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Evacuate does not equal leisurely, orderly, porter-assisted departure.

The friends may need to make some choices about what's important - crap in their luggage, or getting out of SJD.
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Hope for the best for your elderly friends. The quoted part above simply reminds us another reason to always travel light. Your friends may need to consider abandoning the vast majority of their luggage, and taking hand baggage with only the necessities.
I have been telling them for years to travel lighter but it goes to deaf ears.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Update, I spoke to my friend a few minutes ago. I was so relieved to hear her voice. We don't know how long they will have phone coverage though.

She said it is horrible there. They are rationing food and water BUT she is lucky since she has a room. There is a meeting today at 3pm Cabo time, 5pm Eastern, with the military. They will be told what to do then.

If you remember my original post, I rebooked them on a flight leaving Cabo on Saturday. Today I looked at the reservation and it was changed to a connecting flight SJD to IAH to EWR on TUESDAY. I guess UA is not flying until then. If, as someone has posted, Alaska Air can send in a plane why can't UA?

I told her to wait and see the military options before committing to staying in her room. I also told her not to vacate her room until she is sure she has a way out of there. As I said, they are older and not that well. This would be an ordeal for anyone though. I am just glad I got to talk to her. I have called their relatives who are equally as relieved.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:46 pm
RJ1

Update, I spoke to my friend a few minutes ago. I was so relieved to hear her voice. We don't know how long they will have phone coverage though.

She said it is horrible there. They are rationing food and water BUT she is lucky since she has a room. There is a meeting today at 3pm Cabo time, 5pm Eastern, with the military. They will be told what to do then.

If you remember my original post, I rebooked them on a flight leaving Cabo on Saturday. Today I looked at the reservation and it was changed to a connecting flight SJD to IAH to EWR on TUESDAY. I guess UA is not flying until then. If, as someone has posted, Alaska Air can send in a plane why can't UA?

I told her to wait and see the military options before committing to staying in her room. I also told her not to vacate her room until she is sure she has a way out of there. As I said, they are older and not that well. This would be an ordeal for anyone though. I am just glad I got to talk to her. I have called their relatives who are equally as relieved.
Glad to hear you were able to make contact. There's nothing worse than not being able to be in communication in a situation such as this.

Until they know for sure about plans for evacuation, they definitely need to stay parked in their room. If they were to vacate the room, they might end up stuck in the lobby or somewhere else.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RJ1
Glad to hear you were able to make contact. There's nothing worse than not being able to be in communication in a situation such as this.

Until they know for sure about plans for evacuation, they definitely need to stay parked in their room. If they were to vacate the room, they might end up stuck in the lobby or somewhere else.
I agree. I wrote her an email and told her to stay in her room unless she is definitely going to be evacuated. I called UA and they told me they could get her on a plane out of MEX if they can get there on Military transport.
I told her that Flyertalkers said to abandon their luggage. I hope she heeds your advice. They have so many clothes. They don't need all that stuff anyway. I told her to take her meds and anything valuable and to abandon the rest if told they had to. Lets see if she listens. I do agree about the room though that is sound advice too.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
How do military evacuations work? Do you still have to pay your "fair share" for a seat out?

I have a team member stuck in Cabo...he said the earliest he could get out is this Thursday when I was contacted on Monday...I guess this has been pushed out for commercial flights.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; VIA Privilege
Originally Posted by malgudi
There's slim chance of getting out if the airport is closed ... no?

Huh? Why are they idiots?
i am also curious. Why are people who showed up to occupy their booked room 'idiots'?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.