Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Stranded in Cabo After Hurricane Odile - What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stranded in Cabo After Hurricane Odile - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by gates1580
i am also curious. Why are people who showed up to occupy their booked room 'idiots'?
Because they showed up in a disaster zone, expecting a vacation?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jewels421
Because they showed up in a disaster zone, expecting a vacation?
This. Yes, these people that showed up are idiots.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by icydog
There ARE people from California who have shown up to occupy rooms. I think they are idiots and have added to the problem.
Originally Posted by gates1580
i am also curious. Why are people who showed up to occupy their booked room 'idiots'?
Driving into a disaster area with facilities in shambles and no utilities? They can compete with the subject of this thread for biggest idiots.

Last edited by mduell; Sep 17, 2014 at 6:36 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by mduell
Flying into a disaster area with facilities in shambles and no utilities? They can compete with the subject of this thread for biggest idiots.
And than they will report on Tripadvisor how bad the resort/trip was.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:34 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by mduell
Flying into a disaster area with facilities in shambles and no utilities? They can compete with the subject of this thread for biggest idiots.
Flying in on what flights, exactly?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by nnn
Flying in on what flights, exactly?
I think they drove. This is the beauty of owning a timeshare.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by patchan8984
How do military evacuations work? Do you still have to pay your "fair share" for a seat out?

I have a team member stuck in Cabo...he said the earliest he could get out is this Thursday when I was contacted on Monday...I guess this has been pushed out for commercial flights.

I doubt they have to pay for the military charters. Mexico has a lot at stake, tourism-wise, and the government has money. They want to do right as best as possible, under the circumstances. Now how much locals will charge to get you to the airport, that's another story.

Alaska also has the relief flights out there, and after they accommodate their customers, they're taking OAL customers, but I presume they're taking the OAL coupon to do that, so they will ultimately get compensated.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by irene49
Alaska Airlines is flying 3 humanitarian flights today - 2 SJD to LAX and one SJD to SAN.
See posting under Alaska Airlines. They flew 14 ground employees down this morning to process passengers for these flights. Are taking Alaska booked passengers first, then other airline passengers.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...s-out-sjd.html
Thank, AS!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can the OP get his/her elderly friends on one of the AS flights? If it's definitely flying, it would probably provide them with more comfortable conditions that a military evacuation flight.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can the OP get his/her elderly friends on one of the AS flights? If it's definitely flying, it would probably provide them with more comfortable conditions that a military evacuation flight.
Alaska's flights today went out with open seats. Tomorrow's flights have open seats.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by irene49
Alaska's flights today went out with open seats. Tomorrow's flights have open seats.
There you go. AS, I believe has the most flts to Cabo than any other USA based carrier. Most of the other carriers fly a few times a week (UA, DL, AA).

Good job AS! AS needs to release a press release on what they did for their customers. ^ Did the other USA based carriers step up to the plate during this disaster?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kettle1
There you go. AS, I believe has the most flts to Cabo than any other USA based carrier. Most of the other carriers fly a few times a week (UA, DL, AA).

Good job AS! AS needs to release a press release on what they did for their customers. ^ Did the other USA based carriers step up to the plate during this disaster?
AA tweeted last night that they would have 7 flights (5AA, 2US) going out today. The AA flights are to DFW starting a 9am with a flight every 2 hours. US to PHX 12:40 and 2:08pm.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kettle1

This sounds like a communications breakdown. I can't believe that there aren't people who wanted/needed to get out and even would have paid a lot for those seats.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by icydog
I went onto the Facebook page of the resort and read their information. According to them everyone is being fed but that's all the information they are giving except that there were no serious injuries. I asked that they contact my friend and give her the message that her flight was rebooked for Saturday. But they took my post down!

One of the things they mentioned was an "air bridge" to get the tourists out but I didn't know what that meant. After doing some research I think they meant air evacuation to Tijuana by the Mexican military for the tourists stuck in Cabo.

My friends are traveling with way too much heavy luggage, two bags @50lbs, and several carryon pieces. There's no way they can handle all that alone. In fact I know that they count on porters, et al, to move their stuff from place to place. I hope someone steps up to help them.

I have been in touch with their family members who are equally as distressed as I. If anyone has any further information please post it. Thanks.
I think the fine young Men and Woman of the Mexican Military and Relief Workers will assist with Luggage and the sort (your friends are not the only one in this position and the Relief works will end up making the ultimate decision) You seem to be a bit over reacting. I am sure they will be assisted by fellow travelers and others. People come together in these sorts of conditions. Remember the Mexican Culture is "to respect your elders" I think you should revert to your friends good opinion. Just chill a little bit. They seem fine.. considering the devastation. I have been reading that people that have arrived at the airport are being rewarded with free commercial or Military airlift out. Yes it may be scary for you sitting at home. But each time you finally spoken with your friends they seem to have a handle on things.. Keep us posted on their well being..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Sep 18, 2014 at 8:12 am
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:21 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
UA rescue flights have started. Told they are first come, first served no matter who you bought the ticket from.

Also taking in relief supplies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.