Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Stranded in Cabo After Hurricane Odile - What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stranded in Cabo After Hurricane Odile - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Articles are showing terrible damage at hotels and the airport. I was wondering what I would do if in a similar situation. I'm asking not suggesting. Is it possible to rent a car and drive to Tijuana then cross the border to San Diego? Are there services popping up to do this? Perhaps a group of people? It's a 1000 mile drive so not a fun thought. I'd keep checking and see if airlines bring in evacuation flights.
I heard on the news this morning that the road out is impassable.

Last edited by Bonehead; Sep 16, 2014 at 11:21 am
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Bonehead
From Tripadvisor forum thread:

NBC News says the airport is tentatively closed until at least Oct. 10

Tough to find hard info.
If that's the case, OP may want to look into whether roads are passable to La Paz further up the coast, and whether La Paz (LAP) airport is open or opening soon. Aeromexico and Interjet both fly LAP-MEX, and onward connections to most of the U.S. are available from MEX.

La Paz isn't too far from SJD, so if that airport is equally affected, Loreto (LTO) is further up the coast, and AS has a flight from there to LAX. There is also a ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan on the mainland of Mexico, but with a new tropical storm brewing and set to follow roughly the same track as Odile, getting on a boat would be pretty low on my priority list.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Of the 30,000 tourists that were stranded in temporary shelters in hotels, 26,000 are foreigners. On Monday, federal authorities announced that army and commercial planes would be flying them out from the La Paz and Los Cabos airports. Several airports in the area, including the latter, were damaged by Odile.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Articles are showing terrible damage at hotels and the airport. I was wondering what I would do if in a similar situation. I'm asking not suggesting. Is it possible to rent a car and drive to Tijuana then cross the border to San Diego? Are there services popping up to do this? Perhaps a group of people? It's a 1000 mile drive so not a fun thought. I'd keep checking and see if airlines bring in evacuation flights.
I wouldn't count on the highway being passable. Rather the opposite, actually.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there any chance of getting out on a cruise ship, i.e., by purchasing an otherwise empty cabin one way? OTOH, I would imagine that cruises are being diverted away from the area or cancelled so the odds of a ship leaving probably aren't good.

If they rent a car and drive, they should do it in the daytime only.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Getting out is likely to be an absolute zoo. Was in Cyprus on the YYZ-LCA AZ mistake fare several years ago when war broke out between Israel and Lebanon. LCA was the initial staging point for thousands of tourists evacuated from Lebanon. As we returned to the airport at the conclusion of our vacation, the scene was an absolute madhouse. Thousands of people waiting outside in 100+ degree heat in a line that snaked around the terminal area several times (reportedly 10+ hours just to get inside). I've never been so happy to have a J cabin ticket with priority check-in/security/etc.

ETA - If there's an airlift type operation in the works, OP's friends may want to invest in some initial prep-work, like taking bottled water, umbrellas (shade) and/or something to sit on. They may be outdoors, in a desert climate in Summer, for some time.

Last edited by Anglo Large Clawed Otter; Sep 16, 2014 at 11:37 am
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by icydog
My friends are in Cabo and are slated to leave on Tuesday SJD TO IAH. Right now they have a hotel room but only till Tuesday morning.

Any suggestions on getting out of Cabo going to anywhere in the USA? Will she have to vacate her room if she can't get a flight out?

I'm sorry if I'm being redundant. If this has been discussed please point me to the thread
All the rules change during a natural disaster. Don't leave your hotel until you are 100% sure you have a flight out.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, after the period of the reservation, staying longer allows the hotel to raise the price to the rack rate or maximum price allowed by law.kets rather than waiting for UA to resume service or be able to rebook them?

Fortunately most other countries in natural disasters are not the barbaric creation that is some parts of the USA. Many societies actually actually prohibit such practices. I was a volcano refugee in Frankfurt and when the airport was closed the hotel got a notice that all guests who continued to stay would be charged the same rate as before.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bonehead
From Tripadvisor forum thread:

NBC News says the airport is tentatively closed until at least Oct. 10

Tough to find hard info.
Keep in mind there are two airports near Cabo:

Cabo San Lucas International Airport - MMSL / CSL - small airport with limited public service, but capable of landing a 737

Los Cabos International Airport - MMSD / SJD - lots of commercial service handling ~10,000 pax/day

If MMSL is damaged, it has no impact on commercial service from the US; if MMSD is damaged, they may operate some flights to MMSL for evacuation.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:45 pm

As an FYI, Reforma (Mexican newspaper) reports that the military is taking over operations at the Los Cabos airport (damage to control tower and terminal buildings, but not the runway), and will begin an airlift to Mazatlan and Tijuana today 9/16. They also report that as a consequence, no commercial service for now.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I have friends who are trapped there too. If anybody knows anything definitive please post here so we can relay information. There are many conflicting reports.

Hope for the best.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
I have friends who are trapped there too. If anybody knows anything definitive please post here so we can relay information. There are many conflicting reports.

Hope for the best.
Can you get through to your friends. My friend had been emailing me since the hurricane. The last email I got was midnight last night. I'm so worried. I'm guessing the generator at her hotel ran out of gas. Like I said, they are both older and I'm afraid for them.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Originally Posted by icydog
Can you get through to your friends. My friend had been emailing me since the hurricane. The last email I got was midnight last night. I'm so worried. I'm guessing the generator at her hotel ran out of gas. Like I said, they are both older and I'm afraid for them.
Only very intermittent texts. They're not experienced travelers but are young and healthy. They're trying to put on a brave face but the situation is not good. Hope they have drinking water first and foremost.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
First Mexican military plane was airlifting people to Tijuana.

I wonder if the best strategy would be to get to the airport to get to another gateway.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

The check-in area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.