Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Yeah, last time I checked they want $661 DEN--MAF (563 miles OW) at the times I would need to fly (on a CRJ-200 no less). That yields a 1K 2252 RDMs today per RT and will be 7271 RDMs after 3-1-2015. Quelle différence!

Might keep me from buying FC-all-the-way tickets on AA for $750-$800, but don't count on it until they get rid of the devil's chariot on that route.
Glad I have one other sympathizer At least there is now a perk for going to Midland
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Johnson21710
All,

Hopefully I didn't miss the answer to this during my search of this thread but has United announced any waivers or allowances for Presidential Plus card holder as they relate to the 2015 changes?
There is no waiver to give, so to speak. This isn't like PQD where they can waive a number - it's a wholesale change to the way you earn mileage. No exceptions for that. Changing to a foreign address won't help either.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Just want to hear it from the horse's mouth....

LX F segment bought on UA and ticket on 016 = $ x 11, right?
Correct. Anything on UA stock will earn 11 x (fare + carrier imposed surcharges only - basically 11 x PQD).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe

Correct. Anything on UA stock will earn 11 x (fare + carrier imposed surcharges only - basically 11 x PQD).
Essentially 13x for 1K if put on Explorer card as well....(Mr. Burns' exxxxccccellent).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Essentially 13x for 1K if put on Explorer card as well....(Mr. Burns' exxxxccccellent).
Actually, not really. The 11 x for a 1k is based on the same amount as PQD calculation. The 2 x for using the card (or 3 x if you still have the Select, like me) is based on the total amount charged to the card, so includes taxes and fees. So in total, it would actually come out to > than 13x.

I'm actually glad UA did not market it like DL did initially (where they confusingly added the CC incremental into the total for holders, as if it they got an additional 2x, when it is just the standard amount you get for using their card).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:20 pm

I have been meaning to respond to the new 2015 MileagePlus program for a while. This will pretty much hosed me on mileage. I spend a time on my last flight with wifi access to UA.com at no cost and several hours to kill.....This year it calculates that I earned a total of 125,000 miles including my Platinum 75% bonus for flight miles. With the new way of calculating it I would be at 75,000 miles earned this year. When I get more time it might just be worth working out taking the absolute cheapest fares on any airlines, pool the funds and then use that in place of where you would use miles. DOES ANYONE from UNITED monitor these threads and understand the amount of "upset" long term customers they now have?This will just encourage me to look for more and more loopholes to exploit that United has no idea about. I would share many of them on here but will reframe from doing so in the event United does monitor these threads and will close the loop holes. VERY disappointed!! Platinum and close to a million millions and now starting to look elsewhere....
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by thredbo
I have been meaning to respond to the new 2015 MileagePlus program for a while. This will pretty much hosed me on mileage. I spend a time on my last flight with wifi access to UA.com at no cost and several hours to kill.....This year it calculates that I earned a total of 125,000 miles including my Platinum 75% bonus for flight miles. With the new way of calculating it I would be at 75,000 miles earned this year. When I get more time it might just be worth working out taking the absolute cheapest fares on any airlines, pool the funds and then use that in place of where you would use miles. DOES ANYONE from UNITED monitor these threads and understand the amount of "upset" long term customers they now have?This will just encourage me to look for more and more loopholes to exploit that United has no idea about. I would share many of them on here but will reframe from doing so in the event United does monitor these threads and will close the loop holes. VERY disappointed!! Platinum and close to a million millions and now starting to look elsewhere....
After they read your post, here is what the people at UA will say: Mission Accomplished.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
This will just encourage me to look for more and more loopholes to exploit that United has no idea about. I would share many of them on here but will reframe from doing so in the event United does monitor these threads and will close the loop holes. VERY disappointed!! Platinum and close to a million millions and now starting to look elsewhere....
I'm at 900K Lifetime and have been a 1K for 5+ years.

And, this is the exact way I look at it...the real loophole is to fly another carrier but credit back to UA, within the next year (when I'll hold Plat status).

Then, I'll be out of UA's grasp and most likely loving every bit of it. My strategy (as posted in the other thread) is to get rid of my ties to UA (even so close to 1MM) and get a SPG credit card, do a bunch of spending and fly the airline that is best for a specific set of flights. Then, when it comes time to redeem miles - transfer my SPG points the airline's program that I can maximise - if that's BA Avios, great, if it's ANA perfect and if it's AS - awesome...I'll have a nice 'free agent' period where I'll try other airlines and get out of the crap that UA has thrown on me for the past many years (oh yeah, since 03 March 2012).

I'm surely not UA's best customer, but I'm walking out the door and will be happy to get away from trying to always fly UA solely because of benefits, etc.

-jeremy
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
It is so easy they are already doing it, by simply controlling saver availability on the supply side.The mean number of RDMs redeemed for travel can be controlled by UA as precisely as they care to.
Perhaps learning this from Delta.

Though it has been some months since I looked for award seats, this is one area where I think UA still does pretty well (availability of award seats) at least to a 1K based at a hub
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
DOES ANYONE from UNITED monitor these threads and understand the amount of "upset" long term customers they now have? ... Platinum and close to a million millions and now starting to look elsewhere....
I'm sure they do monitor, but perhaps our discussions provides positive confirmation of their strategy. I'm assuming they wanted to "fire" certain types of customers, or at least make themselves less attractive to us and more attractive to others. These threads may just be giving them anecdotal evidence of success.

Whether this ends up being a viable long-term business strategy that let's UA compete with AA remains to be seen. (I certainly have my opinions...)
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: AADULtArer
You don't forge a program analysing Internet forum fringe behaviour like FT, especially when you have 1000s of pax moving every day and all that wonderful data to manage revenue.

Old model, you could accumulate 200,000 miles as a 1K ( ignoring card bonuses, etc) for under 10k spend. Even at my SkyDong valuation of 1 cpm, that's 2000 USD value.

You are going to have spend at least 20k to get that back from any airline.

Higher PQD thresholds
Elite specific award availability

Coming soon to you.....

Last edited by LaserSailor; Aug 30, 2014 at 7:16 pm
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Yes that monitor and yes they don't give a damn. That is the Jeff era.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
Yes that monitor and yes they don't give a damn. That is the Jeff era.
sad but accurate. Customers are the enemy at the new UA.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: Flying Club - Virgin
Cool

Originally Posted by halls120
sad but accurate. Customers are the enemy at the new UA.
Until enough customers - whether or not FF- decide it is all cost based to them and go to a budget airline when it doesn't matter about the full service aspect and then select the airline with the lowest price on the day they booked when full service does matter.

Rather than just default to United, pay the United fare and Fly the Friendly Skies:

Own Goal Jeff - and then send him on his way.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: AA P, UA PP, LH FT, IHG G, Hilton G, BW P
Unhappy Foreign Exchange Pegging/Conversion

HI All, just curious if any of my fellow overseas MP members have had a straight answer from the service desk as to the procedure that UA will use to determine the $ amount for our €,£ etc. transactions. This is my biggest worry, for example Hilton really stiffs its members, along with IHG with the lowest possible exchange rate for conversion. In fact in most cases it's far off from the day's currency trading, not even the low point, almost like a credit card transaction adding 3% on in foreign currency fees. Argh....

This is second in line to my worries of conversion to the spend system that may push me over the edge to another *A program. I'm already in a pickle with US having left for OW and nearly none of my destinations are OW serviced by directs and if they are, they are well overpriced.

Feeling the squeeze
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:53 am

If I multiply my year-to-date PQD with the multiplier for my status, I get only 78% of the RDM that I actually earned so far this year. In other words, I'll be earning 22% less for the same amount of flying. Coupled with the recent 18% price increase for a standard TATL award, this means that my 2015 miles will be worth 40% less than my 2013 miles??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.