Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] United Express (UX) route cuts [2014 & onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
West Coast route cuts/additions/material changes:

LAX - 8 daily ends 1 daily starts net reduction 7 daily
LAX-PIT (1x daily)
LAX-PDX (2x daily ended)
LAX-SJC (2x daily)
LAX-BFL (Bakersfield, CA) (2x daily ended)
LAX-YLW (1x daily, moved to SFO)
4 gates in Terminal 6 leased to AA (Gates 60-63)
ADDED LAX-MEL (789)
ADDED LAX-MSP (CR7)
LAX-CLD (7x daily ending May 2015)

SFO
SFO-NRT (reduced x1 777/day, switched to HND)
SFO-LMT (Klamath Falls, OR)(ended)
SFO-MOD (Modesto, CA) (ended)
ADDED SFO-HND (1x daily 772, moved from NRT)
ADDED SFO-YLW (1x daily CR2, moved from LAX)
ADDED SFO-ATL (2x daily 738)

Expanded SFO-MSP (previously 1x daily mainline, winter 2x E75, next summer 1x E75 + 1x mainline)
Expanded SFO-STL (previously 1x daily mainline, soon 1xE75 + 1x mainline)
Expanded SFO-RDU 2x daily mainline over the summer

SEA

SEA-NRT (gone)
SEA-GEG (gone)
SEA-ANC (ended)
SEA-CLE (seasonal, gone)

PDX
PDX-SEA (ended)
PDX-EUG (ended)
PDX-RDM (ended)
PDX-CLE (seasonal, gone)
PDX-LMT (Klamath Falls, OR)(ended)

LAS
LAS-FAT (Fresno CA)
LAS-PSP (Palm Springs, CA)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] United Express (UX) route cuts [2014 & onward]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The 70-ish miles COS-DEN flight is flown by a mix of CR200, CR700, ERJ145, and Q400. (Fastest I've ever flown on that route is 14 minutes wheels up/wheels down )

Given MRY-SFO traffic conditions, a bus would be utterly awful and would make for many, many misconnects at SFO.
Did you even look at the scheduled times? If they were trying to make the same connecting flights, MRY-SFO flights arrive at: 6:24am, 11:56am, 3:05pm, and 9:26pm. Given my experience with 101 traffic, none of those times would be utterly awful. Now, if they were going for a 9am arrival I would agree with you. You're also conveniently ignoring SFO's fog delays which would be a non-issue with a bus.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Pointless. You'd just drive yourself.
Tell that to all the folks that take the Monterey Airbus or folks arriving from out of town. Why don't all the people who end up on EWR-ABE or IAH-BPT just drive themselves, by your logic? Why do services like the Marin Airporter exist, if they're just pointless and you'd just drive yourself?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
My comment was aimed at people that are actually flying MRY-SFO-MRY. My family and a lot of friends/people I know who fly out of MRY would not be taking the bus up to SFO.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by JoseVerde
Is SFO-MRY at risk of getting cut? We already lost DEN - I would hate to lose another option for fares and schedules (and it's not like SJC is a real option given prices and schedules...).
my feeling is that if UA pulls out of MRY to SFO, Delta will be back with service to SLC or SEA.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:04 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
...Given my experience with 101 traffic, none of those times would be utterly awful.
We disagree.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by cblaisd
We disagree.
You think traffic is bad at 6am on 101?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
my feeling is that if UA pulls out of MRY to SFO, Delta will be back with service to SLC or SEA.
I would think AS to Seattle is more likely as they already serve SAN. DL has tried MRY-SLC several times before.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
It just seems like the nails keep hitting the coffin. Just the other day, my wife was asking me if we are moving to AS (or AA). I have 3 PDX-IAD flights over the next couple of months. I was shocked to learn that PDX-IAD is going away for 60d. I certainly do not want to connect through EWR; ORD can be a gamble with weather; it seems like all the IAH flights are drying up anyway; and I'd rather fly into DCA anyway with better times and the knowledge that I will avoid traffic issues. Add to the previous the int'l travel issues and all the roads keep pointing away from UA...

I did a quick look--can someone please refresh what those dates are? Or better, add to the Wiki!
I actually don't see a 60d removal of the flight. I see a downgauge to an A320 but I see the service operating everyday in the schedule.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:08 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Just out of curiosity, why is OO retiring the EMB-120 fleet? I know they're not exactly new a/c, but their operating costs have to be better than a CRJ.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by exerda
Just out of curiosity, why is OO retiring the EMB-120 fleet? I know they're not exactly new a/c, but their operating costs have to be better than a CRJ.
Biggest issue is pilots. They are more difficult to hire and expensive with new regulations. The coat between a jet and EMB pilot isn't all that much, do it makes sense to focus limited resources on more lucrative 70+ seat jet ops. Spare parts and maintenance for EMBs is also becoming more challenging.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i what equipment other than the EMB120 is suited for the half hour SFO-MRY flight?
They could bring back the 757 to SFO. I have some friends on the oeninsula that would be very happy.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by fly18725
Biggest issue is pilots..
Not on the Brasilia. They aren't even hiring for it anymore. Last I heard, though, they had full classes for the other types and are right where they need to be on staffing (staffing balance, though, is another thing, as I understand that some bases are over, and some are under-staffed because of a schedule shuffle.)

Originally Posted by fly18725
Spare parts and maintenance for EMBs is also becoming more challenging
This is the reason; specifically parts, and especially prop blades. It's not like they can't get them anymore, though; the cost of replacement parts has skyrocketed, so the profit margins this plane used to make are either razor thin, or non-existent anymore.

Last edited by DXjr; Sep 1, 2014 at 3:49 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:09 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DXjr
This is the reason; specifically parts, and especially prop blades. It's not like they can't get them anymore, though; the cost of replacement parts has skyrocketed, so the profit margins this plane used to make are either razor thin, or non-existent anymore.
Seems someone could find a nice niche business in manufacturing replacement parts for them. IIRC, operating costs on a per-seat basis were less than half that of the CRJ-200, so those are definitely some expensive parts!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by exerda
Seems someone could find a nice niche business in manufacturing replacement parts for them.
I have heard that there's a business out there that's certified to either build new or refurbish prop blades, but they only put out 1 a month, which is much less output than required to satiate demand.

The type is dying, though. The last big batch was built in '99-2000, for SkyWest, so that makes the youngest ones 16 years old, which is still quite young for an airframe, but when the manufacturer isn't expressing much, if any, interest in keeping the type going, there isn't much you can do. I'd love to see Embraer build a larger turboprop to compete with the Q-400 and ATR-72, but their focus is on jet right now.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by DXjr
I have heard that there's a business out there that's certified to either build new or refurbish prop blades, but they only put out 1 a month, which is much less output than required to satiate demand.

The type is dying, though. The last big batch was built in '99-2000, for SkyWest, so that makes the youngest ones 16 years old, which is still quite young for an airframe, but when the manufacturer isn't expressing much, if any, interest in keeping the type going, there isn't much you can do. I'd love to see Embraer build a larger turboprop to compete with the Q-400 and ATR-72, but their focus is on jet right now.
Can they stick a turbo prop on a ERJ-145?

For small, out of the way communities like ours, the loss of the EMB-120 has a huge impact.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Well, I'm obviously pretty disappointed by the loss of EUG-PDX -- I was pretty attached to the EUG-PDX-ORD route. My options now are SFO (EUG-SFO has terrible on-time performance) or DEN (only 2 flights a day). Or drive/shuttle to PDX. I'll think about switching to AA/AS, but honestly, I think UA will still have the best options for me, based on my typical destinations.

I know we're a small market, so I probably can't complain too much. In the past I've been fine making the trade-off of having to connect, but getting to originate out of an "easier", less crowded airport (meaning, I can almost always go from drop-off to my gate in 3-5 min.). We'll see how the elimination of one of the three main connection possibilities impacts things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.