Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What to Expect in UA Business Class to CUN/Cancun (seat, lounge, meals, amenities,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to Expect in UA Business Class to CUN/Cancun (seat, lounge, meals, amenities,..)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by caseminole

My initial point is that why shouldn't the experience be a bit better. Everyone on the flight is going on vacation. To a foreign country. Cmon.
The reason is that the fares won't sustain a higher level of service. You can get an $800-$1000 P fare on that route (and other similar latin america routes, including MEX, PTY, SJO, etc.). It's a budget route with budget fares. What do you expect for that price?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:08 pm

I disagree with the notion that the service should be better on busy routes with HVFs. We expect consistency of service from the airline, irrespective of whether it's a business-heavy route or a leisure route.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by leonidas
I disagree with the notion that the service should be better on busy routes with HVFs. We expect consistency of service from the airline, irrespective of whether it's a business-heavy route or a leisure route.
Yes, the service on the route is consistent with routes of similar length, hard product, and pricing...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leonidas
So BUsinessFirst meals, cheese/dessert cart, lie flat seats, amenity kit everywhere UA flies? Or does everyone get a coach seat and buy on board? Take out all the Mai Tais from Hawaii flights - it's not consistent with other flights.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
The reason is that the fares won't sustain a higher level of service. You can get an $800-$1000 P fare on that route (and other similar latin america routes, including MEX, PTY, SJO, etc.). It's a budget route with budget fares. What do you expect for that price?
YEP! Flying this weekend EWR-CUN booked a few months ago flat out in F for $820. I believe Y was like $575 at the time.

FWIW when I flew EWR-CUN-EWR in May as a mere GOLD I got me and my +1 CPU'd to F on both legs. I figured the price to pay for F this time to guarantee I would only have to sit next to 1 once a year flier instead of 2 made it worth it.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The reality you are missing is that leisure destination routes don't carry a lot of higher-fare paying business travelers and margins tend to be lower. They're not going to spend money to improve the experience on these types of flights and it doesn't matter if it's domestic or international. A prime example is the Hawaii flights. They fly some int'l configuration planes there but don't offer the same amenities they do if that was a EWR-LHR route. Why? Because the average fare is higher between EWR-LHR than between DEN-OGG. There are plenty of people who will pay $6000 EWR-LHR, not many that will pay even $3000 DEN-OGG, about the same distance. That's why there are so many upgrades to Hawaii and Mexico. Those cabins are full of upgraders wondering why they aren't being treated royally. You yourself were flying on a coach fare (as probably were just about everyone else in the cabin) and you expect an int'l experience? You need to fly a flight where most of the cabin is paying front cabin fares - then UA will give you the international amenities.

About the best you can expect is a Mexican beer choice. Was there one?
I do understand all points and thanks for the clarification. I've been a CO low level elite for about 25 years, so I tend to look at my traveling thru that prism as well.

Most of my international hops (and I've had so many on CO) were in BusinessFirst, which I know and understand is a different product offering from LAX-CUN.

I guess I was expecting even something a little small, and will temper further expectations on similar routings.

Thanks to all for the education!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
I do understand all points and thanks for the clarification. I've been a CO low level elite for about 25 years, so I tend to look at my traveling thru that prism as well.

Most of my international hops (and I've had so many on CO) were in BusinessFirst, which I know and understand is a different product offering from LAX-CUN.

I guess I was expecting even something a little small, and will temper further expectations on similar routings.

Thanks to all for the education!
A final thought however: I do understand all points; however I did use miles to upgrade my flight, and UA has a higher set of reward amounts for these types of flights.

Therefore, at least my opinion only, I should be entitled to at least a SLIGHTLY better standard of service than domestic F
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...therefore, at least my opinion only, I should be entitled to at least a SLIGHTLY better standard of service than domestic F
Sorry, United doesn't care what you think you are entitled to. It's a shorter flight than to the East Coast or Hawaii and it's going to a lower budget vacation destination. If anything, The East Coast routes from LAX ought to get better service/amenities because they're carrying a lot more business travelers.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 23, 2014 at 11:43 am
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Sorry, United doesn't care what you think you are entitled to. It's a shorter flight than to the East Coast or Hawaii and it's going to a lower budget vacation destination. If anything, The East Coast routes from LAX ought to get better service/amenities because they're carrying a lot more business travelers.
Understood. I was just offering my opinion. Sometimes, United DOES care what I think
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A final thought however: I do understand all points; however I did use miles to upgrade my flight, and UA has a higher set of reward amounts for these types of flights.
That is an expensive upgrade. I'd be annoyed, too. Mileage upgrades used to be a great deal; now they're almost always terrible values if you're not on a full fare ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Flying LAX-CUN in F - what should we expect for amenities?

So, OP, now you know. Don't ever shell out your own money for this type of flight. It's RyanAir with free alcohol.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seanp7
So, OP, now you know. Don't ever shell out your own money for this type of flight. It's RyanAir with free alcohol.
LOL. Yes, lesson learned. A nice note to J/SMI might be in order to. I have actually sent him an email and gotten a response, so we'll see.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
LOL. Yes, lesson learned. A nice note to J/SMI might be in order to. I have actually sent him an email and gotten a response, so we'll see.
I am really confused Why did you send an email to Smi$ek? Because you booked a trip LAX-CUN and upgraded with miles? You many years ago flew TA on the great carrier CO and thought that was what you would get on a 5+ hour flight?
You have been around here long enough to know better I would hope. I am sure Smi$ek will just tell you to go lump it.
I don't mean to be harsh but I really just don't get it.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zoegksf
I am really confused Why did you send an email to Smi$ek? Because you booked a trip LAX-CUN and upgraded with miles? You many years ago flew TA on the great carrier CO and thought that was what you would get on a 5+ hour flight?
You have been around here long enough to know better I would hope. I am sure Smi$ek will just tell you to go lump it.
I don't mean to be harsh but I really just don't get it.
Don't be confused. I didn't send an email to Jeff Smisek, but I have on other issues and on occasion have gotten a response.

So he does listen

My point was that I was on an international ticket. granted it was to Mexico, but I was in Business class, and the flight offered worse service than in Domestic F, even though I cashed in more miles for the upgrades for myself and 2 traveling companions.

There was no wifi on the way down, and NO VIDEO, at all, on the way back. There was nothing special about the meal service. It wasn't bad, but wasn't special. The plane was old.

I was a CO flyer for 30+ years. I suffered thru the bad and the good with them.

I have certain expectations that weren't met on the flight.

Other peoples expectations might be less than mine. I am just going on personal experience.

I don't really understand why my points are so confusing, or why people seem to think I felt I was entitled to a "LOT" more. I wasn't.

But working wifi and video/movies both directions would have been super.

An amenity kit wouldn't cost much. How about a small travel kit with some basic stuff in it - toothbrush, toothpaste, mints and some earplugs?

How about offering Tecate or Dos Equis as a beer option. How about a Mexican-type meal offering

I'm not talking about the offerings I would receive on a TATL LAX-London flight with lie flat beds

I'm just talking about some small details that wouldn't cost much that would have left a better impression for myself and my friends.

Sorry if anyone disagrees, feels that I am being overentitled, or thinks my expectations are too high.

I CERTAINLY don't think there is anything wrong with having an opinion. That's typically what message boards are for.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Sorry if anyone disagrees, feels that I am being overentitled, or thinks my expectations are too high.
I don't think anyone here disagrees with you at all that it would be cheap and easy for them. The only argument is that as it is a short flight, treated like domestic by the airlines, that all we can expect is domestic service.

Is that right? Maybe, maybe not. The larger issue is how far UA's domestic first product has sunk. I think that's what you're really hearing in people's responses -- Mexico or not, it is treated a domestic first, so unless UA changes how it treats flights to Mexico, we shouldn't be surprised -- and UA's domestic first is no longer worth the money or miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.