Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Why doesn't UA put Y, C, F watermarks on BPs like other carriers do?

(just curious)
Wasting ink, wasting money, part of Jeff's plan to cut cost

I wonder how much that would cost them
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by abaheti
Personally, I'd lock in the business class award and either plan on changing your award ticket if/when space opens up MSP-ORD or just find a cheap fare for well under $200 to deal with MSP-ORD-MSP whenever you find a sale on fares. Maybe even spend a day or two in Chicago on either side.

My opinion is you should not risk losing your TATL award if you really want to go and you've found the flights you want.

Creative idea, I hadn't thought of getting to ORD in a round-about way -- not sure where UA flies out of MSP which can get you back to ORD... sounds kind of fun. :-)
I am new, so apologies for my lack of understanding- I am trying to route MUC to GEG, 1 way next June. I want 1st or bus class and I can get to IAD. If I book that flight now with miles, can I add IAD to GEG later? Or since it will be US customs and I have to pick up bags and recheck- is it ok to have 2 separate flights? The IAD to GEG has no saver availability. I thought I could not change destination once booked, and I don't have enough miles to pay the higher non-saver fare.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Are there any other layflat seats available between the lower 48 and Hawaii on UA metal other than between EWR or IAD or DEN and HNL? If so, which routes? Thank you.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Elizabeth S
I am new, so apologies for my lack of understanding- I am trying to route MUC to GEG, 1 way next June. I want 1st or bus class and I can get to IAD. If I book that flight now with miles, can I add IAD to GEG later? Or since it will be US customs and I have to pick up bags and recheck- is it ok to have 2 separate flights? The IAD to GEG has no saver availability. I thought I could not change destination once booked, and I don't have enough miles to pay the higher non-saver fare.
You can add the IAD-GEG (with a connection somewhere along the way) later but that will require paying a fee to change the booking. The miles required for MUC-IAD and MUC-GEG would be the same so it is just the destination change fee you'll deal with there.

No matter what you'll need to collect bags at IAD and re-check them after clearing customs & immigration but that doesn't affect the pricing of the award trip.

If you can find IAD-GEG in Y rather than C you can book that as part of a single award and then waitlist the Y segments to C without fee. That's probably the best option, assuming the seats are there. What's your desired date of travel?

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Are there any other layflat seats available between the lower 48 and Hawaii on UA metal other than between EWR or IAD or DEN and HNL? If so, which routes? Thank you.
Occasionally the 764 shows up in SFO but no guarantees.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: AC
Silly question, but if one purchases an economy plus seat, does that automatically give premier access, or at least earlier boarding of the plane?

Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canforce
Silly question, but if one purchases an economy plus seat, does that automatically give premier access, or at least earlier boarding of the plane?

Thanks.
No but they may also try to sell you PA on your resv.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:29 am

QUOTE "...If you can find IAD-GEG in Y rather than C you can book that as part of a single award and then waitlist the Y segments to C without fee. That's probably the best option, assuming the seats are there. What's your desired date of travel?"

I am looking to travel MUC-GEG on or around June 30.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 27, 2014 at 10:58 am Reason: Show first two lines as quote of a previous reply.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There used to be a banner across the top of the BP that said Ecomony, Economy Plus, Business, or First. Maybe they thought they were wasting ink...
I heard (and this is purely anecdotal) that some passengers complained that they were a "scarlet letter" that embarrassed economy passengers. Particularly those with status who were in economy but boarding with first.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
I think I know the answers, but want to confirm with UA experts:

I have award travel book with pre-devaul saver prices.

(1) I have a flight PEK to BKK on Air China, want to change to Thai flight earlier in the day, will i incur change fee and repricing to new miles? I think yes to first, no to second.

(2) Return flight is BKK to FLL, connecting in PEK and IAH. Can I change to say, BKK-FRA-IAH-FLL?

Origin/destination does not change, carrier does.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:36 pm

I booked a ticket a few weeks ago EWR to HKG in Y for $1,320.80. Out of interest, I checked the fare and if I had bought the ticket today I would only be paying $1,152.90, so a difference of $167.90.

Is there any way I can recoup the difference in form of a credit perhaps? Does United offer this? Not trying to be an "entitled customer", just curious to hear if I can get some sort of credit for this.

Thank you in advance!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
No way to recoup...As the change or cancellation fee is more than your savings. Assuming also you don't have a true Y fare..but any economy fare.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by explorer84
I think I know the answers, but want to confirm with UA experts:

I have award travel book with pre-devaul saver prices.

(1) I have a flight PEK to BKK on Air China, want to change to Thai flight earlier in the day, will i incur change fee and repricing to new miles? I think yes to first, no to second.

(2) Return flight is BKK to FLL, connecting in PEK and IAH. Can I change to say, BKK-FRA-IAH-FLL?

Origin/destination does not change, carrier does.
You are correct that change fee will be due (assuming not waived due to MileagePlus elite status). It should not need to be re-priced to the current (higher) miles redemption.

2) Depends on your complete itinerary. You indicate it is a "return", but not sure what the first half of the trip consisted of. On a round-trip ticket, you will not be able to cross separate ocean, so if you arrived in BKK on TPAC, you cannot return TATL.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Simple question I just want to confirm. If I have an e-cert that expires 12/17/14, can I use it to book travel for after 12/17/14 as long as the booking date is before the expiry date?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:44 am
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
roki, yes, providing that there's not another term printed on that certificate that requires that travel booked via the certificate be completed by XXX date. If so, you must also meet that requirement.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
roki, yes, providing that there's not another term printed on that certificate that requires that travel booked via the certificate be completed by XXX date. If so, you must also meet that requirement.
Thank you! T&C Below:

CERTIFICATE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1) To redeem go to United.com or call United Airlines Reservations 800-864-8331 (800-UNITED-1) or visit a United Ticket Office. There is no fee to book and redeem at United.com. Please note, there will be a ticketing service fee if you redeem at United Reservations, or a United ticketing facility. Fees vary, starting at $15, and are subject to change without notice. Certificates may not be redeemed through a Travel Agency.
2) You may view certificate details at United.com by clicking on Deals and Offers, Promotional Programs and enter Promotion code and PIN in the offer code box.
3) The certificate may be redeemed for credit up to its face amount only towards the purchase of an electronic airline ticket(s), where eligible, from United. The Promotion Code and PIN must be presented at time of ticket purchase and expire one year from original date of issue.
4) The certificate will not be honored in connection with prepaid tickets, tour packages or the purchase of non-transportation documents or items such as excess baggage charges, pet charges, MileagePlus Rewards, fee-waived tickets etc.
5) If the face amount of this certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted or the expiration date has been reached. This certificate cannot be combined with other travel certificates with promotion code TCVA or other travel certificates that represent a form of payment.
6) This certificate is not transferable and may not be sold or bartered. However, the original recipient of this certificate may arrange travel for another person if done without selling or bartering this certificate. Any sale or barter transaction involving this certificate, or any offer to sell or enter into such a transaction, shall render this certificate full VOID and thereupon this certificate shall no longer be redeemable by any person, including the original recipient.
7) Positive identification may be required when using this certificate toward the purchase of a ticket. United is not liable for loss, theft or use of this certificate receipt by a person other than the original recipient.
8) Travel permitted on flights operated by United and United Express. Certain codeshare flights may be valid for redemption.
9) United's Contract of Carriage applies to all travel on United Airlines and United Express.
Should be in the clear, then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.