Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Can I route from US to Africa via Asia for the same # of award miles as via Europe or is it 2 separate awards?
For example
SFO-IST (or FRA)-CPT vs SFO-INC (or NRT/HND)-CPT
TIA
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Can I route from US to Africa via Asia for the same # of award miles as via Europe or is it 2 separate awards?
For example
SFO-IST (or FRA)-CPT vs SFO-INC (or NRT/HND)-CPT
TIA
Two separate awards.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KopiKosong
Does mileage accrual on UAL for foreign residents also depend on spend, or are they exempt from this atrocity?
Mileage (RDMs or PQMs) earning do not depend on spend for anyone now. But in March 2015, it is true for everyone's RDMs earning.
For status USA MP members have a PQD requirement. Non-USA members or those with APO, DPO or FPO address or for non-1K levels (if you meet a MP CC spend level) are exempt

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm Reason: Change in March 2015
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Mileage (RDMs or PQMs) earning do not depend on spend for anyone.
For another eight months. (Or is it seven?)
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
For another eight months. (Or is it seven?)
yeah I was a little sloppy on that response, so I "enhanced it"
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Call. Note that before day of departure, your original fare bucket must be available.
UA2 has lots of seats in BF and the flight is 3 hours after UA7. To perform a SDC, it has to be within 24 hours of your first segment or the time of the actual flight? And yes, plenty of H fares left.

Last edited by GDaoV; Jul 28, 2014 at 11:29 pm Reason: .
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Preamble: I'm not looking to debate the merits of this question. Just trying to understand what practically happens.

What are these "UP-fares?" Are they actually Economy fares that immediately upgrade into a premium cabin? Can someone point me to some background in what they are, how they work, who's eligible, etc.?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
What was your final fare class? What was your original one?
Sorry for the late answer, I was flying lol.

H, ended up being I think ZN ?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: *
Can i deliberately book separate fare class on outbound and inbound trips?

Hi I am flying TATL on a discount economy fare and would like ability to upgrade one way with a GPU. The base fare is S and T on either leg. Can I change one leg to W as opposed to the entire trip to W in order to use a GPU on that leg?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ani90
Hi I am flying TATL on a discount economy fare and would like ability to upgrade one way with a GPU. The base fare is S and T on either leg. Can I change one leg to W as opposed to the entire trip to W in order to use a GPU on that leg?
Yes. But unless you get a nice agent, you'll pay the upcharge and the change fee, unless you booked within the last 24 hours.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:55 am

Really Basics

First thanks for hosting this.

I am an infrequent flyer with a United MileagePlus account. Basically, I want to be able to upgrade to business class without paying through the nose on an annual long flight overseas. My mileage plus account now says I am a Premier Silver Member with a mileage balance of 92,000 miles and lifetime miles of 19,000 (rounded). My mileage expiration shows as 1/31/2016. However, when I look at premier qualification progress my four flight segment minimum shows as 0. So it appears I will never REALLY qualify.

I might do one flight a year in addition to one big overseas trip. So, my question is whether it is even worth it to have a MileagePlus account? Say I buy an economy ticket on the big overseas trip. Will I be able to use my mileage to upgrade to business at no cost (other than the mileage)? Do people who qualify for the various levels, say silver, get their upgrades (when available) without having their mileage stored reduced?

In other words is it really worthwhile to accumulate miles through a credit card if you aren't accumulating segments to correspond? Or should I use the miles on an ancillary purchase (say a rental car or dining).

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Frank Kelly
First thanks for hosting this.

I might do one flight a year in addition to one big overseas trip. So, my question is whether it is even worth it to have a MileagePlus account? Say I buy an economy ticket on the big overseas trip. Will I be able to use my mileage to upgrade to business at no cost (other than the mileage)? Do people who qualify for the various levels, say silver, get their upgrades (when available) without having their mileage stored reduced?

In other words is it really worthwhile to accumulate miles through a credit card if you aren't accumulating segments to correspond? Or should I use the miles on an ancillary purchase (say a rental car or dining).
If you are a Silver, you qualified. Either via having the right credit card, being a foreign address holder, or being a Marriott Elite.

No level of elite can upgrade internationally with miles alone (Y fares can). However, 1Ks get 6 free upgrades (no miles needed) if space is available, and the fare class is high enough.

With your miles, you can, with a co-pay, upgrade international fares. Domestically, as an elite, your co-pay is waived.

It is always worth it to have an account. You can, for example, use the miles to book in business from the outset.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Generally speaking, what are valid routings BOS-ORD? Would CLE or EWR be valid connections between them? I'm ticketed BOS-ORD nonstop as part of a transpacific itinerary and am considering SDC to a one-stop routing between BOS and ORD so that the upgrade I used an instrument for will clear domestically as well.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by DeterminedToUpgrade
Generally speaking, what are valid routings BOS-ORD? .....
Some discount fares require non-stops but generally the Y fare rules are OK for SDC

[KVS Availability Tool 7.4.1 - Routing Rules: CHI-BOS/UA/Y/4110 USD]
Code:
CHIBOS-UA 29JUL14      *RULE DISPLAY*     TARIFF 0011 RULE 2000 

BOOKING CODES        Y                                          

INDUSTRY FARE TYPE - EU - ECONOMY UNRESTRICTED

---------------------------------------------------------------

ROUTING  536 FROM-TO  CHI-BOS*                                  
             FROM-TO  CHI-CHI/CLE/EWR/WAS-BOS*
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Anybody get this in their MP account? I recall picking nothing.

07/25/2014 Pick 2 Offers 500 Bonus Miles 500

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.