Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by baxterboy12
... Q1: Should I trade 100K AA miles, $150 late booking fee, 12 hours more on the ground in Paris, and $350 in UA cancellation/redeposit fees for 115K UA miles and 18K Avios? ....
The miles are IMO a wash. It mostly comes down to a personal decision of 12 hours vs $350. For one person I would probably due it, for multiple people the change fee is getting expensive and I would have to think about it.

The direct TATL flight, the better aisle access seats, ... would also be factor supporting changing.

... Q2: How does UA collect cancellation fees? My fees for the award booking were only $10 total, so will they make me provide a credit card for the other $340? ....
change fees require new money, the award will be refunded separately.

...Q3: Is it still possible to book AA awards a couple months out and then move it back via free change to the dates you want within 21 days to avoid the late booking fee for non-elites?
That's an AA question, but generally the fee applies for new or changed booked bookings (at least on UA). So on UA that would be a no.

...Q4: Is US786 CLT-CDG a better, worse, or equivalent business class experience to UA918? Seat guru shows 8-wide business class on UA918 and US Airways Envoy looks to be 4 wide on an Airbus A330-300 (333).
The Envoy seats are better with aisle access for all seats. The actual seats are similiar but there is a great sense of crowding on the UA-777 (pick the pairs on the windows).
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, PC
to WineCountryUA

thank you. I was leaning towards changing and this info seals the deal if AA seats open up.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:39 pm

Last question, I never fly UA, but I have top-tier with WN and Frontier. Would it be worth a status match with UA to try and waive the $350 in fees? Would it get me any other perks on this trip?

We are businessfirst on the outbound with UA and first class LHR-ORD coming back.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Last question, I never fly UA, but I have top-tier with WN and Frontier. Would it be worth a status match with UA to try and waive the $350 in fees? Would it get me any other perks on this trip? ...
status matches are an once in 5 years activity.

Not sure what level UA would match WN/F9 top tier but it would not be !K or GS.
Probably Gold maybe Plat. Gold or Plat would reduce the fees and provide a high bag allowance.
The premium cabin seating provides most of the rest of the benefits of elite status in your situation.

... first class LHR-ORD coming back.
The APD for the LHR departure must of hurt.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Would it be worth a status match with UA to try and waive the $350 in fees?

We are businessfirst on the outbound with UA and first class LHR-ORD coming back.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The premium cabin seating provides most of the rest of the benefits of elite status in your situation.

The APD for the LHR departure must of hurt.
What WineCountryUA is trying to say is that $350 fee is most likely in VERY big part APD departure tax from England, LHR in particular. It goes up with higher class of booking, i.e. Biz is more than coach, and FC is more than Biz.

And there is no way to waive that
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:17 pm

LHR fees

Originally Posted by EmailKid
What WineCountryUA is trying to say is that $350 fee is most likely in VERY big part APD departure tax from England, LHR in particular. It goes up with higher class of booking, i.e. Biz is more than coach, and FC is more than Biz.

And there is no way to waive that
I paid $5/person in fees BNA-LHR. I paid $322 in fees LHR-BNA in FC.

The $350 is what I was quoted to cancel the outbound leg and rebook on AA. From the link it appears the agent was wrong. The redeposit fee appears to be $200/pax for members with no status.

We tried to arrange it such that we flew to LHR first, spent time there, and then took the train to CDG and flew home to avoid departure fees from LHR, but the award seats were not there.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
"accept change" then no change next day

deleted

Last edited by abaheti; Aug 1, 2014 at 10:57 am
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Flight tomorrow: 50 BF seats | 47 Booked (mobile site shows 47 + 1)

Odds that #2 on the list will get upgraded? Can one SDC after checking in?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GDaoV
Flight tomorrow: 50 BF seats | 47 Booked (mobile site shows 47 + 1)

Odds that #2 on the list will get upgraded? Can one SDC after checking in?
Odds of #2 clearing are okay at best. (Many may not even check-in until at airport). Yes to SDC.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Odds that #2 on the list will get upgraded?
Somewhere between 0% and 100%. Honestly, you have provided no useful information for making any educated guesses.

Can one SDC after checking in?
Yes.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Somewhere between 0% and 100%. Honestly, you have provided no useful information for making any educated guesses.

Yes.
Thanks.

Called me and got the flight 3 hours later and confirmed into BF. Now I just need to show up for the flight and be coherent...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: *
How close to a flight can one cancel a refundable ticket?

If I buy a refundable ticket with the high likelihood I may cancel, can I do this up to the time check-in closes? Which refundable fare classes give a full cash refund without penalty?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ani90
If I buy a refundable ticket with the high likelihood I may cancel, can I do this up to the time check-in closes?
Depending on the fare rules, you may even be able to wait longer than that.

Originally Posted by ani90
Which refundable fare classes give a full cash refund without penalty?
There isn't a general class that works that way - you need to read the complete fare rules to see what the refundability entails for that specific fare code.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There isn't a general class that works that way - you need to read the complete fare rules to see what the refundability entails for that specific fare code.
Just asking, since I was under the impression that all full Y tickets are fully refundable.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Just asking, since I was under the impression that all full Y tickets are fully refundable.
They should be, but I wouldn't want to make any guarantees without reading the fare rules. I know some B fares are not fully refundable and wouldn't make assumptions about Y either. I've also purchased fully refundable fares all the way down to V, and have heard of even lower ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.