Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
After not clearing any RPU's on transcons, I had to resort to using them on an upcoming YYZ-IAD flight for 2 people. That finally cleared. Hate throwing them away like this, but better use them somehow (esp with the S.O).
That actually is too bad of a flight to use them on. I have a run of flights coming up over the next 2 months that are semi long (TCONS and Hawaii) that if my instruments don't clear I will basically start throwing them at anything. Even doing that I suspect I will have many expire on me. Still sitting on 17 RPU/GPUs .
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ermintrude
I'm 1K - SDC & waitlisted ~ T-23.5 PS flight; cleared ~ T-18 hrs. Also saw that a few platinums cleared as well. Nice to see UA partially moving away from completely milking the $299 upfare last minute. (only one data point but was surprised to see platinums clearing ~ T-10).
You waitlisted an upgrade T-23.5? I thought the system was pretty strict about blocking within T-24; or is that only non-p.s.?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
That actually is too bad of a flight to use them on. I have a run of flights coming up over the next 2 months that are semi long (TCONS and Hawaii) that if my instruments don't clear I will basically start throwing them at anything. Even doing that I suspect I will have many expire on me. Still sitting on 17 RPU/GPUs .
I know . The rest of my trips are all booked in P. I still have 5 GPUs and 1 RPU sitting that might go to waste.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
You waitlisted an upgrade T-23.5? I thought the system was pretty strict about blocking within T-24; or is that only non-p.s.?
That's why I mentioned it and it wasn't forced. I have no idea on your 2nd point.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So trying my first PE seating in the space saver seat on NZ. Why is this relevant to this thread that GPUs are useless? Well none of my GPUs have taken this year so far and the fare differential on LAX-LHR was so significant between UA and NZ that I did not want to chance the GPU not taking for the red eye flight (done that too often on UA where I have been in E+ on a W fare).

Also, NZ have an upgrade system where you bid for the upgrade to J. My bid was not successful but I was okay with that. Apparently with NZ elites get priority in that buy up system. Will report back on the PE experience for those of you on the West Coast.

Oh, the fare class for PE on NZ gets 125% PQM with UA. :-)

No PQD with UA as not 016 ticket (but I do not need these as I meet this requirement each year)
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Have a GPU applied (C to F) to UA 959 on 27 June. 5 days out and F is still booked only 1/6 but O/ON remain at 0 (C is only booked 13/26 FWIW). Is UA going to try to "HOD" this to the very last minute?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Still in shock over finding R4 on both the outbound and return legs of an upcoming BOS<>SFO trip -- and just after they've switched to all lie-flats, no less. It helped that I was looking to fly out on a Wednesday and back during the weekend ... and that I don't mind waking up early. And to be fair, these are flights on which 18 months ago I was getting CPUs as a Gold.

Still, in the new scheme of things it's a rare treat not to have to worry about last-minute paid upgraders. And given that I won't make Plat again this year, it's nice to be able to say I got value out of the only RPUs I ever use.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Still in shock over finding R4 on both the outbound and return legs of an upcoming BOS<>SFO trip -- and just after they've switched to all lie-flats, no less. It helped that I was looking to fly out on a Wednesday and back during the weekend ... and that I don't mind waking up early. And to be fair, these are flights on which 18 months ago I was getting CPUs as a Gold.

Still, in the new scheme of things it's a rare treat not to have to worry about last-minute paid upgraders. And given that I won't make Plat again this year, it's nice to be able to say I got value out of the only RPUs I ever use.
wow, R on BOS-SFO ... nice!

Just used my 9th UG cert this year. 9/9 cleared. That's how it should be
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by st530
Have a GPU applied (C to F) to UA 959 on 27 June. 5 days out and F is still booked only 1/6 but O/ON remain at 0 (C is only booked 13/26 FWIW). Is UA going to try to "HOD" this to the very last minute?

Indeed they are, at least that has been my experience. Still sitting on a boat load of instruments. Won't use them on TATLs or TPAC flights as I have been burned too many times. I just bite the bullet and buy F. I have an RPU still standing on a SFO- CLE flight on Monday that I bought up to W to see if that helps it clear but not holding my breath. Will report back as to how that "experiment" worked.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Have been waitlisted for several months using an RPU on SFO-IAD. Rarely do I find R space on transcons and if I do it is absolutely last minute. I generally only get to use RPUs, now, for short haul flights. They really are meaningless.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by cfischer
wow, R on BOS-SFO ... nice!

Just used my 9th UG cert this year. 9/9 cleared. That's how it should be
Honestly, I think RPUs are 90% worthless as a Plat unless there's R space confirmable at booking as in my scenario above. And for anyone interested in BOS<>SFO, the open R is available both mid- and late-July for ultra-early morning and late afternoon departures.

9/9, pretty impressive --but as a 1K you always have a fighting chance!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Honestly, I think RPUs are 90% worthless as a Plat unless there's R space confirmable at booking as in my scenario above. And for anyone interested in BOS<>SFO, the open R is available both mid- and late-July for ultra-early morning and late afternoon departures.

9/9, pretty impressive --but as a 1K you always have a fighting chance!
Previously posted that I just had my first instrument clear on a Sunday morning BOS-SFO run. No R available at booking but it did clear at T24 which surprised me. Otherwise NADA with instruments for months. I am curious to see what happens on my Monday flight that I bought up to W on, still waitlisted but no surprise there.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
GPU fail. None have been successful yet this year.

Route: LHR-IAH
Date of trip: June 24, 2017
Fare class: W
Date of reservation: April 25, 2017
Status of flyer: 1K

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So trying my first PE seating in the space saver seat on NZ. Why is this relevant to this thread that GPUs are useless? Well none of my GPUs have taken this year so far and the fare differential on LAX-LHR was so significant between UA and NZ that I did not want to chance the GPU not taking for the red eye flight (done that too often on UA where I have been in E+ on a W fare).

Also, NZ have an upgrade system where you bid for the upgrade to J. My bid was not successful but I was okay with that. Apparently with NZ elites get priority in that buy up system. Will report back on the PE experience for those of you on the West Coast.
Loved the Space Seat on NZ. Even better for my flight was there was no one in the seat next to me (I was in one of the two middle seats) and was able to lie down in a kidney shape to sleep. (Pity NZ is replacing them with a different PE seat.)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 25, 2017 at 12:02 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
GPU fail. None have been successful yet this year.

Route: LHR-IAH
Date of trip: June 24, 2017
Fare class: W
Date of reservation: April 25, 2017
Status of flyer: 1K
to wait-list I typically don't buy a W fare if I want to use a GPU. V+ fares only if available. Sometimes V+ fares are cheaper than W fares as well. My success on GPUs this year is 100% but in fairness I've booked into available R.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Sometimes V+ fares are cheaper than W fares as well.
Is this ever possible, given the fare bucket structure (i.e. V>W and not the change-of-service-class difference that means P can be cheaper than Y)? Intuitively I find this pretty hard to believe unless there is some seriously strange r/t faring going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.