Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Redeemed 2 RPU LAX KOA - both were taken from my account, upgrade waitlisted, only booked to 13 of 24, with not a single R seat released even with a couple days left before departure.

What is the point of holding back half the cabin when they know there is zero chance of selling 11 F seats in 36 hours - or is this going to be cluster on the day of departure with an upgrade list 50 deep and 20+ 1Ks waiting with RPU or GPU to clear?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
What is the point of holding back half the cabin when they know there is zero chance of selling 11 F seats in 36 hours - or is this going to be cluster on the day of departure with an upgrade list 50 deep and 20+ 1Ks waiting with RPU or GPU to clear?
Not sure your statement is accurate. I wouldn't say a zero chance. Leisure routes often have more non-elite flyers splurge for the buy-ups to First or booking in First due to the 'vacation' factor. There could be quite a few buy-ups at the last minute if the price is competitive.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
TPAC GPU strategy

Have posted this before, but will repeat: presuming that pax is departing from "somewhere" in the Lower48 States & connecting at SFO for a TPAC. Do a search for upgrade-on-booking for just the TPAC leg (for example, SFO-ICN) & if R is available, then book entire itinerary & immediately call reservations. They will/may say that you're on a waitlist, but then point out that the TPAC leg is available & ask that your GPU be applied for that leg. You will remain on the waitlist(s) for the domestic leg(s). Have done this various times (& twice so this year). Eventually most of the domestic waitlists toSFO/fromSFO have cleared, but in the meantime, your long overwater leg is in confirmed Biz.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA GS
I remembered when United credited miles for unused/expiring 500 mile e certificates. Perhaps United can revive this principle and provide miles for expiring RPU's and GPU's (i.e. 1,000 RDM for a RPU's, 2,500 RDM for a GPU). This will provide some, small, compensation for increasingly hard to use upgrade instruments.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
No need to call in

Originally Posted by BH62
Have posted this before, but will repeat: presuming that pax is departing from "somewhere" in the Lower48 States & connecting at SFO for a TPAC. Do a search for upgrade-on-booking for just the TPAC leg (for example, SFO-ICN) & if R is available, then book entire itinerary & immediately call reservations. They will/may say that you're on a waitlist, but then point out that the TPAC leg is available & ask that your GPU be applied for that leg. You will remain on the waitlist(s) for the domestic leg(s). Have done this various times (& twice so this year). Eventually most of the domestic waitlists toSFO/fromSFO have cleared, but in the meantime, your long overwater leg is in confirmed Biz.
I have also done this, with a slight variation. Instead of calling in, just go into your reservation (I typically wait until ticketed) then click the "Upgrade Flight" button. It will confirm you on all available segments, and waitlist you on those that aren't. This way you can avoid situations requiring HUCA.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Scheduled to travel on 07/07/17 EWR-SFO 772 - ticket purchased a few weeks ago. Been watching the 28J seats reduce down to 10 open on the seat map.

1st tried to get an agent to do it at the LAX UC on 07/05/17 (since I was at the airport) but they claimed that they could only apply an RPU within 24 hours of flight. Hadn't heard that before but whatever.

Walked over to my gate and proceeded to call 1K. Asked that an RPU be applied to only the EWR-SFO segment for 07/07/17. RPU applied and immediately upgraded to J. Agent says: "You need to go and buy a lottery ticket now".

Sorry nomad420.

David
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Not sure your statement is accurate. I wouldn't say a zero chance. Leisure routes often have more non-elite flyers splurge for the buy-ups to First or booking in First due to the 'vacation' factor. There could be quite a few buy-ups at the last minute if the price is competitive.
My statement was accurate - in fact they just did a sweep 23hrs before departure and moved everyone on the current list into F, leaving two open seats from 12. Any purchases in the cabin, which there were, occurred long ago. LAX KOA is not a last minute buy-F flight. At least we cleared, but why have everyone sweat it out until the day before vs offering at least a couple R seats at least during the week of departure.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
...but why have everyone sweat it out until the day before vs offering at least a couple R seats at least during the week of departure.
Because that is what Kirby does. It is no coincidence that the stinginess started shortly after he arrived. To him, we are all moochers...even if we want to redeem an instrument we earned WITH SPEND. He'd rather sell it for pennies on the dollar to someone else for the extra revenue and to teach us our place.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My statement was accurate - in fact they just did a sweep 23hrs before departure and moved everyone on the current list into F, leaving two open seats from 12. Any purchases in the cabin, which there were, occurred long ago. LAX KOA is not a last minute buy-F flight.
Partial disagree. On our recent trip to the islands, I'd already applied instruments for both myself and my wife but, at time of purchase had asked if she wanted us to buy into first (P) - which she said no to.

As the weeks ticked down and first started to shrink, I reminded her that we could still buy up for $299 each. She again said no.

About a week out, she asked me if the buy up was still available. I checked and it was - so it was at that point, 7 days before the flight and with instruments applied, that we finally purchased to get into first.

So, yes, there are some willing to spend at booking to get into first. There are others of us who have to get final approval

David
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Because that is what Kirby does. It is no coincidence that the stinginess started shortly after he arrived. To him, we are all moochers...even if we want to redeem an instrument we earned WITH SPEND. He'd rather sell it for pennies on the dollar to someone else for the extra revenue and to teach us our place.
The system should really be smart enough to look at the purchase/load history, know how many GS and 1K are on an instrument waitlist, then with RM input, clear as many of those folks as possible while leaving some seats for purchase or future CPU. If there are 10-15 open seats out of 24, I can't imagine it's really a stretch to clear 5-7 people ahead of time who are holding instruments.

There just seems to be little logic to how seats are released - it's either a wild swing from open season, or hold every seat to the last minute. On my route there is one morning flight on a 753 and one afternoon flight on a 739 - the 753 never released any R seats and hasn't sold any since I started watching the flight until this morning where a sweep upgraded everyone, yet the 739 flight, a more desirable option due to the after-work departure time, had wide open R space throughout the same period.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
The system is smart enough, UA just decides to use an high threshold on how many seats they think thing can sell. They probably think it is safer to hold more upgrades vs losing a potential sale customer. If an upgrade isnt available at booking, I see the following possibilities:
1. Flyer choose a different flight. Fare will probably be similar so no loss to UA
2. Flyer chooses not to take trip. Lost revenue. If the seat goes emtpy, then there is some impact on UA.
3. Flyer waitlists. No loss to UA. Either they get upgraded or not but they've already sold a ticket
4. Flyer buys J seat outright. Big win for UA but probably unlikely.
5. Flyer chooses to go with another airline and/or changes loyalty. Same as above, but bigger loss to UA. However, rather unlikely if there person is already 1K
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
The system is smart enough, UA just decides to use an high threshold on how many seats they think thing can sell. They probably think it is safer to hold more upgrades vs losing a potential sale customer. If an upgrade isnt available at booking, I see the following possibilities:
1. Flyer choose a different flight. Fare will probably be similar so no loss to UA
2. Flyer chooses not to take trip. Lost revenue. If the seat goes emtpy, then there is some impact on UA.
3. Flyer waitlists. No loss to UA. Either they get upgraded or not but they've already sold a ticket
4. Flyer buys J seat outright. Big win for UA but probably unlikely.
5. Flyer chooses to go with another airline and/or changes loyalty. Same as above, but bigger loss to UA. However, rather unlikely if there person is already 1K
Not so sure on your point 5....I have a trip to LHR 2nd week of Sep. Currently, my options are buy UA W fare and waitlist GPUs both ways (for flights connecting at IAH). Or buy BA PE on AUS-LHR nonstop. Price is virtually identical. If I don't see any R space available by 3 weeks out, I am buying BA PE. I won't roll the dice to sit in E+ on UA for that long. Loss to UA ~$1800-$2000.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Scheduled to travel on 07/07/17 EWR-SFO 772 - ticket purchased a few weeks ago. Been watching the 28J seats reduce down to 10 open on the seat map.

1st tried to get an agent to do it at the LAX UC on 07/05/17 (since I was at the airport) but they claimed that they could only apply an RPU within 24 hours of flight. Hadn't heard that before but whatever.

Walked over to my gate and proceeded to call 1K. Asked that an RPU be applied to only the EWR-SFO segment for 07/07/17. RPU applied and immediately upgraded to J. Agent says: "You need to go and buy a lottery ticket now".

Sorry nomad420.

David
LOL, That is truly a Unicorn. That is a Friday flight as well, from my experience Fridays and Mondays are basically unobtainable on that route. Hey, but that is great congrats.
I have a SFO-CLE coming up as well as SFO-KOA with instruments in place for months (of course still waiting to clear). Per usual, not holding my breath.

In regards to the Hawaii buy ups, I fly the SFO-KOA route pretty regularly and indeed I have been offered TOD when I am standing on an instrument upgrade. The worst situation is to get one at T24 OLCI, pass on it, only to then see all of the remaining F seats disappear over the next 24 hours. While some may be GS upgrades I suspect many are the TOD buy ups being taken. As I have said before, I don't fault them (UA), they are in the biz to make money. It is what it is but why offer even offer these "upgrade instruments" as a benefit when, as you posted, the agent even said "go buy a lottery" after yours cleared. Pretty laughable comment on things.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
In regards to the Hawaii buy ups, I fly the SFO-KOA route pretty regularly and indeed I have been offered TOD when I am standing on an instrument upgrade. The worst situation is to get one at T24 OLCI, pass on it, only to then see all of the remaining F seats disappear over the next 24 hours. While some may be GS upgrades I suspect many are the TOD buy ups being taken. As I have said before, I don't fault them (UA), they are in the biz to make money. It is what it is but why offer even offer these "upgrade instruments" as a benefit when, as you posted, the agent even said "go buy a lottery" after yours cleared. Pretty laughable comment on things.
The problem with the out islands from HNL (KOA, ITO, OGG) is that the planes that UACO is flying are all 738s and 739s from LAX and SFO - albeit with perhaps one 772 to OGG and a 753 in the mix. The percentages of barcalounger "first" seats to E+ and Y on the 738s and 739s don't bode well for two or more CPUs with flying families much less multiple RPUs also trying to clear into first. So, agreed, if the families can afford first to begin with, they're probably going to buy it at purchase. The rest of us get what's left unless UACO can and will offer them up at HODs buy ups. And they and the other airlines are already making coin given the cost for tickets just into Y that they all are charging to fly to/from HI.

David
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Just used another RPU for STL > DEN. Sure it's only 2.5 hrs but I use them when I can!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.