Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Had a big booking day used the following upgrades, completely out of RPU and GPU in the first 5 months, and now using points to upgrade

YYC-ORD RPU
ORD-YYC RPU
MKE-IAH RPU
IAH-MKE 15000 points
YYC-MEL GPU
MEL-YYC GPU
YYC-MEL GPU
MEL-YYC GPU

Now here is a side question the 2 YYC-MEL trips do not show the PQM PQS PQD on the receipt, I had 1K on the line for another reason and they confirmed they were both over 18000 each PQM

Any tips on where I would see these , the tickets upgraded to PZ at booking so even the original shows no PQM

Not showing in the future flights PQM chart either in mileageplus, not a deal breaker as they are in the system but would like to see them
Old May 4, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Any tips on where I would see these , the tickets upgraded to PZ at booking so even the original shows no PQM
The best that you can do is to plot out an identical path on United.com and look at the values it tells you. The PQM earning information is frequently missing from the receipt.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Applied RPU to LAX-SFO for end of May. Waitlisted. Got to start burning these things.
nomad420 likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

View the trip in the app, scroll to the bottom and select accurals.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a big booking day used the following upgrades, completely out of RPU and GPU in the first 5 months, and now using points to upgrade

YYC-ORD RPU
ORD-YYC RPU
MKE-IAH RPU
IAH-MKE 15000 points
YYC-MEL GPU
MEL-YYC GPU
YYC-MEL GPU
MEL-YYC GPU

Now here is a side question the 2 YYC-MEL trips do not show the PQM PQS PQD on the receipt, I had 1K on the line for another reason and they confirmed they were both over 18000 each PQM

Not showing in the future flights PQM chart either in mileageplus, not a deal breaker as they are in the system but would like to see them
Originally Posted by TomMM

Sometimes that button just doesn't show, and sometimes also it magically appears again.

I find it easiest to use gcmap when UA doesn't give the PQM estimates. It is off by a mile or two in some cases, but typically I don't find that to be an issue. If you need exact PQM, jsloan's advice is correct.

PQD can be inferred on a trip basis from the receipt (the airfare). The per-flight apportionment logic is not publicly known, I don't believe.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Applied RPU to LAX-SFO for end of May. Waitlisted. Got to start burning these things.
My shortest flight with RPU applied provides meal service (E.g., YYZ-IAH). I am lucky to use some RPUs on IAD-SFO-IAD or IAD-LAX when PZ space opened up within a few hours of departure.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Got to start burning these things.
Burn indeed:
I'll roll up all 20 of them....and smoke 'em!
mikeyf and Kacee like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by TomMM

gave it a go and it has the view accruals on some reservations and on some it does not , messed up system
Old May 6, 2019, 5:37 am

come to Melbourne on a Tuesday, you’ll be out of GPU In no time
Old May 6, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
come to Melbourne on a Tuesday, you’ll be out of GPU In no time
Is that confirmed at booking or at he gate?

I don't know about everyone else but I'm not going to buy an economy ticket and roll the dice on sitting in economy for a 15-hour flight
nomad420 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Boraxo

I don't know about everyone else but I'm not going to buy an economy ticket and roll the dice on sitting in economy for a 15-hour flight
Generally at booking - MEL on Tuesdays is quite good for PZ space.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
As you probably know last year I applied them basically to everything I booked and still ended up eating something like 10 instruments so I feel your pain and frustration. I must admit it has been a different story this year as a GS pax. The one benefit of GS that I have clearly noted is instrument definitely clear easier, even out of SFO.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

If PZ>0, then you clear at booking. Otherwise, it will likely go to the gate, unless there is surplus inventory in the 2-3 weeks leading into departure. I don't like gambling either on these upgrades.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
If PZ>0, then you clear at booking. Otherwise, it will likely go to the gate, unless there is surplus inventory in the 2-3 weeks leading into departure. I don't like gambling either on these upgrades.
Believe me I understand how GPUs work - I am just a bit incredulous that you would find PZ>0 on any route to Australia, as you can rarely find saver business class award seats, at least last time I checked.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

+1
Stopped doing that years ago and don't like playing the W Lottery. Finding PZ (R) space is like finding a Unicorn. Having said that I am planning a MEL trip later this year (in Dec) and will check on PN space which is probably not going to be much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.