Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
People are saying not to blame bloggers, but on the stopover change I am definitely blaming them especially a certain fortunate blogger.. The stopovers were there to help people complete ticketing of difficult to find award inventory yet the abusive instructions I've seen in blogs are ridiculous.
You can't blame the bloggers. United sold the miles for a certain price. What happens after that point is irrelevant. When United sells a billion miles, United has to expect that a billion miles are, at some point, going to be redeemed.

From the airline perspective, selling miles is basically selling airfares now that will be redeemed later. Unfortunately, from the airline perspective, one way to minimize the actual cost of fulfilling those airfares they already sold is to devalue the miles.

Whether chase hands them out like candy in sign-up offers or leaves them laying about in the street is irrelevant - Chase paid for the miles, so Chase is footing the bill when they allow someone to churn cards to get them.

So if you're NOT abusing the CC system to get more miles, and United then goes and devalues your miles because they realize they sold too many for too little (or just realize they can improve their balance sheet by devaluing all the miles they already sold), the only one you can blame is United.

That said, the price on F awards has been out of wack with the rest of the award costs for a long time and I'm not surprised by the big increases there.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: AS MVP75K, Hyatt "Globalist", Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond
Done! Done! Done!

Giving up my RCC and Chase stuff, too.

We were saving up our UA miles for an SQ F award, but forget it ... and I'm frankly less and less wowed by UA's F or J product. Goodbye UA and hello to more AS/AA.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AAExPlat

5) For all those of you who are upset about award redemption levels, I suggest a massive caveat emptor before you switch your flying to AA. As an EXP and AA fanboy supreme for over a decade, let me tell you that the AA today is a far cry from the AA a few years ago and that they have devalued MASSIVELY over the last year or two.

On the award front, they have simply chosen a different devaluation method than UA...namely to restrict availability to near zero for Saaver awards and thereby forcing AAnytime redemptions and Saaver redemptions on BA as much as possible.
I just redeemed SHA-HKG<24 hour stop>JFK<4 day stop>BOS for 55k (plus $50) in J. I could have booked the same flights with Avios, but the price would have been in line with the "new UA".
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by jason8612
Well for me it's not that horrible.
90% of my intl flying (and family flying) is USA-Europe. If I can just find C space on a UA flight then a Y conx in Europe to KRK will fall under the United award chart. And C intra Europe sucks, so it's not too bad.

Though I will still write/email to the wiki links as this is still unfair of allowing 2 award charts.
That is the crux of the problem - finding space in C on UA international. Unless UA increases award seat availability (which I do not see happening), you will have no choice but to use the higher partner award level.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
5) For all those of you who are upset about award redemption levels, I suggest a massive caveat emptor before you switch your flying to AA. As an EXP and AA fanboy supreme for over a decade, let me tell you that the AA today is a far cry from the AA a few years ago and that they have devalued MASSIVELY over the last year or two.

On the award front, they have simply chosen a different devaluation method than UA...namely to restrict availability to near zero for Saaver awards and thereby forcing AAnytime redemptions and Saaver redemptions on BA as much as possible.

A while ago, I was looking for award inventory to Europe for my wife and kids (I was goi to pay my way) in Y class for March of 2013. There was really zero availability on AA metal, so I looked at BA, and lo and behold, there was plenty of availability. But the award I was trying to book (AUS-LHR/CDG-AUS) came up as $2200 in fees and YQ. Revenue Y tix for the same days would have come out to $2900. So 120k miles would have bought me $700. So I redeemed MP miles instead with minimal taxes.
Exactly. Availability on AA is really bad. I'll concede that partner availability may be pretty good, but for those who don't live in a gateway the lack of domestic availability kills you. To some extent, DL has better domestic availability than AA in the sense that you can usually get a mid-level award, while on AA it is standard or nothing.

I don't like the changes either. I think it's crap. But it's the state of the industry. The game is about over, or at least not nearly as much fun as it once was.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Wow. If UAMP members keep burning their miles that fast as it is showing in this thread, then UA will have the lowest FFP miles liability at their year end balance sheets amongst all major airlines
Achieving that which they wanted in the first place.
Many will disagree with me, but here goes anyway. Jeff is going to achieve that what he wanted.
Q4 earnings will go up due to lower liabilities. Yes we will all rant how unfair this is. We will call, send emails, tweet and post to facebook about what a crappy move this was. Some will leave, some will leave and then return when United's flight times work better than DL, AA etc. The vast majority of fliers - kettles, those that don't care about FF miles and the occasional flyers that don't give a rats a$$ about how we were are now cheated out of F in *A international routes. They will continue flying UA for all the reasons they are flying UA now. This gives Jeffy a little more time for new flyers to come into the fold who have no idea about how the program was devaluated and life goes on.

And yes, Jeff probably wants all you Million Miler legacies to leave UA and lower the costs associated with you getting your hard earned perks. This is no different than companies laying off seasoned workers to replace them immediately with lesser paid new hires.

Those that manufacture miles will continue to do so and it will just take longer to get that flight. Credit card churners will continue to churn. And business flyers will continue to fly for business. Is any large corporation really going to change who they fly with just because their support personnel now needs more FF miles to sit up front. Very doubtful. When AA devalues (and they will) AAdvantage folks will moan and then exit to UA and the great circle of FF miles will go on.

Just saying
Just saying
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sam123
I called Global Services today and they confirmed that when any part of the itinerary is on non-UA metal, the *A chart applies. Thus, if I fly UA for 11 hours in C to Europe, then connect on, say, LH for another 1 hour in Y, that's a 70k *A C award, and not a 50k UA C award.
That's not correct according to UA Insider. The *A chart pricing applies for the *A segments only, so if you're going UA-EU in UA C and *A Y, you pay the higher of the US-EU UA C or *A Y price, in this case the UA C one.

If you flew *A C as well, then you'd pay the *A C US-EU price.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:53 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by balima
Many will disagree with me, but here goes anyway. Jeff is going to achieve that what he wanted.
Q4 earnings will go up due to lower liabilities.
Which strikes me as pretty shrewd on Mr. Smisek's part.

Yes we will all rant how unfair this is.
And, of course, there is nothing "unfair" about it at all. There is a lot, for some people, that is unfortunate and frustrating, but that's not the same thing as "unfair."

We will call, send emails, tweet and post to facebook about what a crappy move this was. Some will leave, some will leave and then return when United's flight times work better than DL, AA etc.
Yes, we've seen this cycle of "outrage" before.

The vast majority of fliers - kettles, those that don't care about FF miles and the occasional flyers that don't give a rats a$$ about how we were are now cheated out of F in *A international routes.
I'm guessing that, say, one's local television consumer advocate would find it difficult to work up a lot of sympathy for folks who can no longer churn credit cards (or dramatically leverage cheap mileage runs) and essentially get such itins for close to free.

They will continue flying UA for all the reasons they are flying UA now. This gives Jeffy a little more time for new flyers to come into the fold who have no idea about how the program was devaluated and life goes on.
Bingo.

When AA devalues (and they will) AAdvantage folks will moan and then exit to UA and the great circle of FF miles will go on.
Complete with requisite dramatic threads on FT
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by boxo
MileagePlus --> MileageMinus.
I'm coining MileagePus. You know, with that festering cesspool of changes we've all liked.

Last edited by u2vox; Nov 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm Reason: Edited for grammar, since MileagePuss and MileagePus are very different things... :)
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by rcleclaire
We were saving up our UA miles for an SQ F award
You couldn't have done that anyway.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Yes, we've seen this cycle of "outrage" before.
This is different. In all prior cycles, we always said that MP was the only remaining good thing about this airline. Now it's decimated. This matters more than anything else $mi$ek has done.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Southwest A-List/Companion Pass
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
They never existed, all *A flights price at the saver level.
Are we talking about the same thing? I'm seeing Saver (30/50) and Standard (55/125) options for AC FRA->SFO on 16 Apr:

Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by JetAway
Now that they've rolled out a lot of bad news I'm hoping they give us some good news over the next couple of weeks.
Hilarious. There's nothing sadder on these boards than the shrinking cohort that still believes UA will suddenly start spitting out good news.

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
At the end of the day, I really don't get UA's mentality of picking the worst of just about everything (goal for on time rating, IRROPs, food etc..). Are they not looking at their own financials and seeing that these policies are anti-business traveler and have been a dismal failure?... How can they be this stupid?
Two things.

One, they have no retention strategy. The Q3 call with Smisek made that clear. No long-term vision. They're only thinking 90 days ahead, and never mind the future repercussions (e.g. a customer base that hates them and/or prioritizes low price).

Two, this is cartel thinking. It's how Comcast thinks. It's how Chase and the other few megabanks think. They deliver badly because -- they think -- you either have no choice or the price of changing providers is too high for you. (And when it comes to so-called "hub captive" customers, as in SFO or IAH, UA may be betting right -- there are plenty of those customers on FT moaning that they have "no options." You always have options, and when you fail to exercise them you're playing into Jeff's hands.)

All Jeff's pronouncements in 2010-2011 about how strong and competitive UA would be by 2012-13 are out the window. They missed every mark in the park. Their metrics are terrible and the merger keeps costing the company more money, not saving it. So for this management it's hang on time, and this up yours to customers is just incidental.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I'm guessing that, say, one's local television consumer advocate would find it difficult to work up a lot of sympathy for folks who can no longer churn credit cards (or dramatically leverage cheap mileage runs) and essentially get such itins for close to free.
If card-churn abuse was the problem, they could have performed targeted surgery on the abusers. This is a comparative atom bomb. But you're right that there's not much public sympathy for people who want to fly overseas on the world's nicest airlines for a pittance. United knows this.

Last edited by BearX220; Nov 2, 2013 at 10:38 am Reason: Repair typo
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
You must be in a bad temper today
Now I know how the people with money in Cyprus banks felt.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by u2vox
I'm coining MileagePuss. You know, with that festering cesspool of changes we've all liked.
In that case, you mean MileagePus.

MileagePuss is a very different, shall we say, animal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.