Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award Availability: How does it vary by elite level?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Normal economy "saver" award inventory is X
All UA elites have access XN inventory for economy awards

Normal business / domestic first award "saver" inventory is I
1K / Plat have access to IN inventory
GS have access to PN inventory (and some ability to convert cash inventory space to award space)

PremiumPlus "saver" award inventory is RN
There is not additional inventory for elites
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award Availability: How does it vary by elite level?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I have seen differences in X and XN quite frequently, and twice that I recall between I and IN.

A few weeks ago I grabbed an IN for my wife on EWR TLV route - I stopped on the subway platform to do it, so I remember. That was at T-23:50hrs, IN1 I0.
Once again, no offense to you - some always *think* they saw it in the past, but it's never, ever replicated in the future. I've checked dozens and dozens of routings inside T-24 and there's never ANY difference between RN/R and IN/I.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
If you do see such magical occurences again, please do post them, as no one can ever re-produce them for future dates.
Once again, no offense to you - some always *think* they saw it in the past, but it's never, ever replicated in the future. I've checked dozens and dozens of routings inside T-24 and there's never ANY difference between RN/R and IN/I.
What do you want, notarized screen shots? You wouldn't have been able to "replicate" sabbasolo's find since he snagged the available award.

Two people have reported seeing IN>I this summer, just in this thread. It happens, whether you believe it or not. I'll grant that it sure seems to be rare, but that doesn't warrant a hostile reaction to the people reporting what you're asking about.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MrOCTeckels
What do you want, notarized screen shots? You wouldn't have been able to "replicate" sabbasolo's find since he snagged the available award.

Two people have reported seeing IN>I this summer, just in this thread. It happens, whether you believe it or not. I'll grant that it sure seems to be rare, but that doesn't warrant a hostile reaction to the people reporting what you're asking about.
I'll continue to espouse a healthy skepticism that these have ever existed (at least in the past year), that's all. I'd call them "false positives" more than confirmed sightings.

If you're using Expert Mode and seeing fare class that way, or a tool like KVS, there's a dozen+ buckets that show up, and it's easy to accidentally "see" the wrong one...I myself have thought I've actually seen R space for results, only to look closely and it was positive PN space instead, since those two buckets are back to back.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM

Did you actually see IN1 I0 in expert mode or did you search when not logged in and then when logged in?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Did you actually see IN1 I0 in expert mode or did you search when not logged in and then when logged in?
In my case I was looking at expert mode and saw something along the lines of IN4 I2.

As an aside - I played around a little over lunch with one browser logged out and another signed in. I found a case where the signed in search found saver (2 pax) but the logged out browser didn't find it. However when I checked it was IN9 I9, so probably just a glitch.

Last edited by MrOCTeckels; Sep 10, 2013 at 2:59 pm Reason: add the aside
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:54 pm

If you're using Expert Mode and seeing fare class that way, or a tool like KVS, there's a dozen+ buckets that show up, and it's easy to accidentally "see" the wrong one...I myself have thought I've actually seen R space for results, only to look closely and it was positive PN space instead, since those two buckets are back to back.
I agree it's easy to think you've seen something that isn't really there. I need to reload the greasemonkey scripts on my new machines...

In the case I mentioned above, UA had just released a bunch of saver award space to LHR (it hadn't been there the night before). My XXX-MUC search turned up a bunch of XXX-LHR-MUC routings the next morning. (My expertflyer alert showed IN=2 on the non-stop 30 days out and so I moved them over... I didn't check I availability at the time).

For R space, I definitely take advantage of RN>R (octeckels and I are often looking for R>=2, and fairly often take advantage of RN > R = 1/0). I can't remember doing that inside T-24 though.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
For R space, I definitely take advantage of RN>R (octeckels and I are often looking for R>=2, and fairly often take advantage of RN > R = 1/0).
I'm sorry, but I know of NO ONE having EVER reported RN>R at any time, particularly outside of T-24.
I believe you're mistaken.

Dave
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
definitely makes a difference

I was searching for some international fares. I did it without loggin in, and the fares were gone. I logged in, and voila! The fares appeared because I was 1k logged in.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by psfcfa
Huh? How does one log in at the second level?
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I think what OP is describing is a unique "feature" of CO's web site that operates like this:

1. If you've never logged in, you get one set of behaviors,
2. If you have logged in, then you leave, and come back, the site knows who you are, and then you get a different set of behaviors,
3. If you log out then log back in, in the same session, such that you actively entered your password in the current session, then you get a third set of behaviors.
Basically, as mitchmu said, log out and log back in, or do something else that requires your password, such as viewing an existing reservation, or details of your MP activity.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by bseller
I'm sorry, but I know of NO ONE having EVER reported RN>R at any time, particularly outside of T-24.

Dave
+1
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by bseller

Dave
If I recall correctly, UA Insider said in the past (a long while ago) that RN is not used at all--all instrument-supported upgrades come out of R. The R-class waitlist is prioritized by elite status, but all confirmable inventory is available to anyone. IMO, any significance attributed to RN is a myth.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I've completely given up on the notion of upgrades being processed by SHARES through any form of wait-list, and therefore, upgrade priority is not a factor that enters into my analysis anymore.
If you fly primarily domestically, I see your point, as it's become such a crap shoot with cheap buy-ups and "unlimited" upgrades.

For international flying though, I've found that 1K is absolutely essential to have access to upgrades. I've been very successful this year, something like 13/14, and sometimes I get one of the few upgrades left it seems.

Like you though, I'm out of SFO, so both of our experiences may be skewed...
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Platinum, 1k, mm united, Hyatt Diamond
Same question. Thank you so much for explanation.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
I think the benefit is actually limited to greater availability of domestic Y saver awards. Can't say I've ever seen anything better internationally or in F, but I did book some (last-minute funeral-related) tickets in May? in saver Y that were not available if I wasn't logged in to my 1K account.

That said, I guess I don't know they wouldn't have been available to a Silver.
Probably would have. I've booked into XN as a Silver.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by jcain
Probably would have. I've booked into XN as a Silver.
XN is also available to MP cardholders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.