Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award Availability: How does it vary by elite level?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Normal economy "saver" award inventory is X
All UA elites have access XN inventory for economy awards

Normal business / domestic first award "saver" inventory is I
1K / Plat have access to IN inventory
GS have access to PN inventory (and some ability to convert cash inventory space to award space)

PremiumPlus "saver" award inventory is RN
There is not additional inventory for elites
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award Availability: How does it vary by elite level?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Originally Posted by bseller
I'm sorry, but I know of NO ONE having EVER reported RN>R at any time, particularly outside of T-24.
I believe you're mistaken.
I just dug through my notes and I don't think we've seen RN>R since at least April 2012. Not quite "at any time", but I'll concede the point.

Last edited by MrOCTeckels; Sep 13, 2013 at 8:24 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GregMM
XN is also available to MP cardholders.
Oh, interesting, I didn't know that. Is that a listed benefit of the card?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by jcain
Oh, interesting, I didn't know that. Is that a listed benefit of the card?
I haven't found it listed specifically anywhere, but they do mention that you can book any open seat on the flight as an award.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

I haven't found it listed specifically anywhere, but they do mention that you can book any open seat on the flight as an award.
That's not much of a deal. The "any open seat" price is very expensive. Only a benefit in case you're forced to make a last minute flight and the cash price of that flight is even higher than the value of the miles required to purchase it at non-saver level.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by mitchmu
That's not much of a deal. The "any open seat" price is very expensive.
Yeah, it basically means that the capacity controls on standard awards don't apply.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Sykes
If I recall correctly, UA Insider said in the past (a long while ago) that RN is not used at all--all instrument-supported upgrades come out of R. The R-class waitlist is prioritized by elite status, but all confirmable inventory is available to anyone. IMO, any significance attributed to RN is a myth.
If I recall, RN always equalling R was supposed to be temporary and would be fixed down the road...
Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paulyras
If I recall, RN always equalling R was supposed to be temporary and would be fixed down the road...
It doesn't benefit UA (at least in the short term, all that matters now) to have RN actually be greater than R, so of course it's not going to get "fixed"
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It doesn't benefit UA (at least in the short term, all that matters now) to have RN actually be greater than R, so of course it's not going to get "fixed"
Contrast this with the recent $0 fare debacle, which was "fixed" within minutes.

Just goes to show that CO IT is capable of doing work if it affects intake of revenue on the front end but somehow completely unable to complete tasks that involve delivery of promised benefits to frequent flyers in exchange for that revenue.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well they just changed the rules so that GS clear out of PN rather than R, and that is a very elite friendly change that doesn't "benefit" UA in the way I think you mean.

I wish they would do something similarly beneficial for us mere 1K's.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well they just changed the rules so that GS clear out of PN rather than R, and that is a very elite friendly change that doesn't "benefit" UA in the way I think you mean.

I wish they would do something similarly beneficial for us mere 1K's.
Agreed - I've said all along UA was foolish for not upping the ante to GS. With the mediocre financials, they need all the HVF spend they can get

Fat chance for anything similar for us bottom feeding 1Ks tho!
Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by paulyras
It doesn't matter if RN > R if all upgrades regardless of status come from R.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
That's YN not XN.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
That's YN not XN.
I know. I was just pointing out that they did mention some additional availability over a GM, but not specifically XN.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
If you do see such magical occurences again, please do post them, as no one can ever re-produce them for future dates.
Not much to go on (and it's only two days out).....UA 944, ORD-FRA on 1/16/14 - IN5, I4 - first one I've ever seen

Old May 14, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Ah, now, see, I saw ON>O on some SYD flights today and tried to book them as awards. After some effort to book it, the agent reminded me that ON is not award inventory, but upgrade inventory now (more like R/RN than I/IN).

Alas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.