Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award Availability: How does it vary by elite level?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Normal economy "saver" award inventory is X
All UA elites have access XN inventory for economy awards

Normal business / domestic first award "saver" inventory is I
1K / Plat have access to IN inventory
GS have access to PN inventory (and some ability to convert cash inventory space to award space)

PremiumPlus "saver" award inventory is RN
There is not additional inventory for elites
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award Availability: How does it vary by elite level?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by nycityny
And I find Platinum to have decent additional benefits over Gold
+1. The benefits from going from Gold ----> Plat are definitely greater than Plat----1K.

1K is pretty much worthless these days. Yes I get an additional 2 miles per dollar spend but that's it. GPU/RPU's---->worthless. CPU? LOL
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by TomA
Well. That's only because more individual segments become available and when you look at the permutations of the additional segments it ends up being a lot more options. They're not throwing you schlock out of spite.

But often I get one or two good ones in the mix. And sometimes I get an option where nothing existed before logging in.
HAHA. I like that. Schlock. Wasn't that a movie many years ago?

You are right there are usually some good options. But I wonder also about the 4 stop, 40+ hour options with a long layover in Africa.??
But, maybe someone would grab that I guess.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:01 pm

Is it me or does United Saver Award EWR - JFK (PS Service) no longer available for 25,000 points? I booked two seats months ago, but I'm guessing I just happen to book at the right time? I can't find one seat available through next year.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Is it me or does United Saver Award EWR - JFK (PS Service) no longer available for 25,000 points? I booked two seats months ago, but I'm guessing I just happen to book at the right time? I can't find one seat available through next year.
UA has all but annihilated saver space on EWR-SFO... have heard similar things about EWR-LAX
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:30 pm

Oh wow! Then I guess the two seats I book at 25,000 a piece in July for travel in Feb 2016 was a steal? Everything I see is 50k a piece.

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
UA has all but annihilated saver space on EWR-SFO... have heard similar things about EWR-LAX

Last edited by ManFactSpendLA; Nov 5, 2015 at 9:31 pm Reason: date
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Oh wow! Then I guess the two seats I book at 25,000 a piece in July for travel in Feb 2016 was a steal? Everything I see is 50k a piece.
I got a little jammed up on scheduling a biz trip in DEC and the flight I wanted had no availability in J in any bucket. No wonder one can't find saver travel on this route easily

50k Sky Dongs are still a steal vs 500 bucks in cash
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:29 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Sure would be nice if ON were available to Plats and above for saver F.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I got a little jammed up on scheduling a biz trip in DEC and the flight I wanted had no availability in J in any bucket. No wonder one can't find saver travel on this route easily

50k Sky Dongs are still a steal vs 500 bucks in cash
I'm sorry, but what is a Sky Dong?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
I'm sorry, but what is a Sky Dong?
I think it's the new devaluation name of the Sky Peso.

Peso -- Mexican currency name (17 pesos per dollar)
Dong -- Vietnamese currency name (22,000 dong per dollar)

Barratt
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:33 pm

Hi,
I am wondering what does a "change" to an award ticket allow.
Basically, I am travelling to China next July but will not know domestic destination dates until much closer to the time.
I am plat 1K so change fees not a big issue.
Could I book the international sectors to China when available and once domestic connections are known , change the booking to include them.
Or are only changes allowed like date of travel and change of an already ticketed domestic destination.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozflier
Could I book the international sectors to China when available and once domestic connections are known , change the booking to include them.
Maybe. With the new award system (post-2016), it can be difficult to get anything booked unless you can find it in a search from your origin to destination.

However, there’s not much to lose by trying it. You won’t be any worse off if you’re unable to make the change than you would have been if you hadn’t booked anything in the first place.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: MileaglePlus
Better availability for United Saver Awards in select premium cabins: Platinum

Hello,

I'm going to hit platinum by the end of this year. I have 180k miles.

I wanted to know whether I'd have better award availability in Business class from U.S. to India after I turn platinum. Most of my booking is very late, 2 - 3 days before departure.

How would the dynamic pricing affect this perk for platinum members? Is it even true that Platinum members have better availability in business class award seats? or Is this just marketing ploy?

Thanks,
Neel
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
The short answer is: No.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by kb1992
The short answer is: No.
I would say no in the past but especially now when I see pz9 I see in1-3 then I0 so I would say IN is increasingly more available than I
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Neel Deorukhkar
How would the dynamic pricing affect this perk for platinum members? Is it even true that Platinum members have better availability in business class award seats? or Is this just marketing ploy?
You can see for yourself. Activate Expert Mode and do a search as if you were planning to pay for the ticket (Expert Mode doesn't appear in award searches). The inventory bucket for the expanded Saver award space is IN. If you see IN > 0 when I = 0, that flight has award space that you can't access as a Gold but will be able to access as a Platinum.

I hesitate to give a definitive statement about how this will be impacted by dynamic pricing because I think UA is still flexing their muscles there. At this point, it appears that the IN bucket is still being used and represents a discount from the "Everyday" award (which, for anyone with Premier status, uses the JN bucket). How much of a discount, and how long that continues, are anyone's guess at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.