Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
I find it amazing that they would want to give up over 100 seats per flight for that route. I fly that route a lot (I'm a business partner in a SYD based company) and its always quite full. I'd always assumed it was a great route for them....that they could use an A380 on the route if they had one.

Though the mention of an LAX-MEL 787 could help that I suppose.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
OK, got it. But Premium Economy SFO-SYD on NZ is pricing out around $3400 even months out. Seems pretty steep for not that much better a seat. Upgrading to C on UA nonstop seems like a better deal, at least if you have UA status.
Depends on the airline. On Turkish, their current Business class great and their premier economy is like a 2008 business class for most carriers. There is a HUGE gulf between Premium economy and normal Economy.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Depends on the airline. On Turkish, their current Business class great and their premier economy is like a 2008 business class for most carriers. There is a HUGE gulf between Premium economy and normal Economy.
We were talking about NZ, and looking at their actual Premium Economy seats they don't seem hugely better than UA E+.

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Sure, none that I can post here though
In other words, no. No doubt that paid C will decrease further with this change...
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by B787938
That said, I highly doubt that United will give up it's freight revenue that the 747 – 400 can provide. Granted, a Continental 777 – 200 ER with the GE 90 engines can easily make it from the West Coast to Sydney they cannot do it fully loaded with passengers and freight.
Originally Posted by B787938
I will certainly give you that. The question is though can the 777 – 200 ER offer as much freight lift as the 747 – 400?
A cursory analysis suggests they're giving up little freight:

LAX-SYD is ~7100nm ESAD

B744 with PW engines can go that distance at 245t ZFW minus the 197t OEW is 48t payload minus 348 pax @ 210 lb/ea leaves 11.5t for cargo.

B77E with typical engines can go that distance at 195t ZFW minus 152t OEW is 43t payload minus 267 pax @ 210 lb/ea leaves 15t for cargo.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Annie?

Well, the first thing to go through my mind was 'will this impact Annie' based on the comments of CO crew taking over the route. But they are operating as a single company now, right? Please tell me they won't get rid of Annie.....

As for selfish me, the only reason I fly UA to SYD is the chance for Global First upgrade with GPU. Without that, I would rather fly someone with less crowded and less narrow Business Class.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2
As for selfish me, the only reason I fly UA to SYD is the chance for Global First upgrade with GPU. Without that, I would rather fly someone with less crowded and less narrow Business Class.
This is spot on. UA seems to think that by killing GF there will be no impact on paid J. GF is the only thing that keeps many paying full fare for UA's crappy J product. Remove GF and you are going to see high frequency J travelers (GS) moving to other carriers.

DL's new J is looking better and better...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:42 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
DL's new J is looking better and better...
Unfortunately, the DL J on the SYD route sucks. Narrow, short, rock hard, and faces towards the middle of the cabin. The J seats on the 747 looks pretty good.

If I was with DL, I would take VA.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
We were talking about NZ, and looking at their actual Premium Economy seats they don't seem hugely better than UA E+.
41-42 inches pitch over 34 inches
50% more recline
Raised Footrest
PTV in all the seats vs nothing

I'd say it's pretty significantly better
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
I am shocked. I am sure if they could they would put an RJ on the route and say it is just fine.

And I agree that the pmCO BF seat is the worst. I never thought it really could get much worse then a pmUA BF seat but I was proven wrong when I was on a 787 NRT-LAX. Which is another one of the pmUA LAX based flights that has gone by way of the dodo bird.

The 787 is a joke. From what I have been able to see as look they are having delayed flights all over with the damn thing for mechanical issues. And the crew that is flying it should be grounded and fired for life. Who the hell leaves a seatbelt sign on for 6hrs(not a bump!) then makes an announcement before landing that captain will be turning the seatbelt sign on shortly.

So you have a very old plane with mechanical problems and you have a new plane with mechanical problems. Sounds like the damn mechanics need to do their job better and keep parts on hand and the planes maintained.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:55 pm

truthfully, it's a mixed bag. Sometimes are better than others for sure. I just looked at the loads for the next 2-3 weeks, and only 1 day was full in F, most had plenty of place. I assure you, it they were filling F with passengers paying F prices, there would not be a downgrade. From what discussions / Data I've seen, significant amount of paid F in general is not great on most routes

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 13, 2013 at 11:12 pm Reason: deleted quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by swm61230
And I agree that the pmCO BF seat is the worst.
I don't get all the hate for the CO BF seat. I have slept like a log in those on long-haul CO 777s many times. Once I flew UA 744 in F (before it was GF, ca 2002, I think it was called First Suite) to SYD and back and I know I slept better in the CO seat.

Haven't experienced the new GF seat but the CO BF seat is fiiiine. I'm not a tall man so maybe that's in my favor.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:02 pm

truthfully, it's a mixed bag. Sometimes are better than others for sure. I just looked at the loads for the next 2-3 weeks, and only 1 day was full in F, most had plenty of place. I assure you, it they were filling F with passengers paying F prices, there would not be a downgrade. From what discussions / Data I've seen, significant amount of paid F in general is not great on most routes
Australia doesn't have too much paid C anyways, almost all upgrades
You were talking about paid C, not F. What are the paid C loads for the next 7 days? What share of the F loads are paid C on upgrades? These likely are not be representative of loads 1 week out during November to February.

Do you think those in ON on J/C/D fares will really fly UA when a better J alternative is available?

Last edited by kevanyalowitz; Aug 13, 2013 at 11:08 pm
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by born sleepy
I don't get all the hate for the CO BF seat. I have slept like a log in those on long-haul CO 777s many times. Once I flew UA 744 in F (before it was GF, ca 2002, I think it was called First Suite) to SYD and back and I know I slept better in the CO seat.

Haven't experienced the new GF seat but the CO BF seat is fiiiine. I'm not a tall man so maybe that's in my favor.
It's fine if you paid discount Y for it, not if you actually paid for it.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:22 pm

You were talking about paid C, not F.
Picky Picky, you know what I am referring to

What are the paid C loads for the next 7 days? What share of the F loads are paid C on upgrades?
I think you already know I'm not allowed to post that detail

These likely are not be representative of loads 1 week out during November to February.
Of course, but truthfully that period is heavy primarily for leisure travel, not just business.

As far as the comment about do I think others will choose to swap business class when the F Upgrade is removed, it wasn't my comment, but I think a mixed bag. I think people like having status, I think they like earning their miles and I think they like familiarity, so my guess is that as a general rule the majority would not change. A customer that normally books the route in business knowing that he can GPU into F without paying F prices may opt for a better Business class.

I'm a 1K. I fly roughly 10-15 long haul (8hr+) trips per year. Usually it's booked in economy and GPU assisted into business class. It's been a long time since I took a long haul flight in economy. In the current 9 week period, I have 3 trips to China, and all three of these are oddly enough are paid business. Pricing wise, United was the best price, best routing, and kept my anxiety in check against flying some of the historically challenged chinese carriers. Therefore, when the GPU option was not the deciding factor, I didn't change carriers. That of course is me talking about my travel, I can't specifically talk for the others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.