Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Pricing appears to be based upon the sector length, with a new purchase required for each sector.

Due to the nature of the satellite system, high latency is to be expected when using the system.

Here's the list of specific UA planes that have wifi.

And here's the overview from united.com.

Subscriptions are now offered which allow for unlimited wifi on flights
Print Wikipost

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:18 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfo789
It seems they've started doing partial refunds. I sometimes request refunds when the WiFi doesn't work for, say, 2/3 of the flight and in the spiel I say I'm happy with a partial refund. UA has always ignored it and given me a full refund, until yesterday when they refunded half the cost.
I only file a refund request when it is not working for most of the flight or so slow as to render it useless. I have been credited promptly within 2 days of filing the refund request for the full amount.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by FL390
Anyone ever had the wrong flight information displayed on the unitedwifi.com portal? I'm currently on a flight LAX-MCO and the portal says the flight is SFO-LAX with a flight number that is not flying SFO-LAX today. Remaining flight time is close to accurate.

Only charged $4.99 for full flight wifi. Is that normal for a transcon flight to a leisure destination like Orlando or a glitch because the portal thinks this flight is SFO-LAX?
i posted about this upthread. Has now happened on my last 5 flights. As soon as you hit 10K feet and the ding hits it switches over. And if you pay before that you will be charged twice.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
It was priced at $18.99 yesterday TPA-SFO. Same on the outbound.

though the 737 wifi seems to be the best one with decent speed and works from takeoff all the way to landing
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by villox
i posted about this upthread. Has now happened on my last 5 flights. As soon as you hit 10K feet and the ding hits it switches over. And if you pay before that you will be charged twice.
I didn't purchase until we were above 10,000. It worked the whole flight with no issues. Seeing as how the poster above this paid $18.99 for SFO-TPA I lucked out at only $4.99.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
It was priced at $18.99 yesterday TPA-SFO. Same on the outbound.

though the 737 wifi seems to be the best one with decent speed and works from takeoff all the way to landing
The 737 wifi has very limited GOM coverage, you can be within sight of land and not have any coverage. Impacts IAH-MIA/FLL and even IAH-MCO routes heavily.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I only file a refund request when it is not working for most of the flight or so slow as to render it useless
Oh, agreed -- it's unrealistic to expect prime performance on a TATL for 100% of the flight. But if it's non-functional or intolerably slow for significant proportions of the flight, I think it's pretty unreasonable to be asked to shell out $30+ (especially compared to ~$17 a year ago).

In that respect, the implementation of partial refunds seems perhaps a move to understand this issue on UA's part (ie a recognition that if you pay this much for WiFi, and it doesn't work for 2/3 of the time, you deserve 2/3 of the money back).
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:49 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Oh, agreed -- it's unrealistic to expect prime performance on a TATL for 100% of the flight. But if it's non-functional or intolerably slow for significant proportions of the flight, I think it's pretty unreasonable to be asked to shell out $30+ (especially compared to ~$17 a year ago).

In that respect, the implementation of partial refunds seems perhaps a move to understand this issue on UA's part (ie a recognition that if you pay this much for WiFi, and it doesn't work for 2/3 of the time, you deserve 2/3 of the money back).
It's the recent jump in price for abysmal performance that gets me. LH charges €17 for long haul wifi. I've gladly paid it on flights SFO/LAX-SFO, MUC-SFO etc. Very consistent pricing.

Since January of this year UA has charged me for wifi:

$14.99 SFO/LAX-HNL and vv
$23.99 FRA-IAD
$19.99 IAD-SFO
$9.99 ATL-SFO and vv
$9.99 SFO-BNA
$11.99 BNA-SFO
$29.99 SFO-TPE
$21.99 TPE-SFO
$16.99 HKG-SFO
$16.99 SFO-CDG
$26.99 CDG-SFO
$16.99 EWR-MXP
$29.99 FRA-SFO
$16.99 HNL-EWR
$19.99 LHR-LAX
$8.99 SFO-MIA and vv
$16.99 SFO-HKG

Pricing is often not the same for the outbound and return. See CDG, TPE, and BNA flights.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It seems they've started doing partial refunds. I sometimes request refunds when the WiFi doesn't work for, say, 2/3 of the flight and in the spiel I say I'm happy with a partial refund. UA has always ignored it and given me a full refund, until yesterday when they refunded half the cost.
I flew IAD-SEA last week, and the Wi-Fi worked for about 1/3 of the flight. I got a full refund without asking.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It seems they've started doing partial refunds.
Not sure it's appropriate to draw broad conclusions based on a single partial refund, particularly since that's what you asked for.

More generally, I'm simply not paying $35 for UA wifi. That's just greedy considering how unreliable the service is. Moreover, I don't like being put in the situation where I constantly have to complain and request a refund.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
$11.99 LAS-EWR
$23.99 EWR-LAS

It's annoying to have a 2x difference even if just because of the unpredictability. That said, the ticket price on UA was 1/2 that of AA LAS-JFK (both in F), so I suppose the wifi fees were nominal in the end.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
$11.99 LAS-EWR
$23.99 EWR-LAS

It's annoying to have a 2x difference even if just because of the unpredictability. That said, the ticket price on UA was 1/2 that of AA LAS-JFK (both in F), so I suppose the wifi fees were nominal in the end.
Were you on a 737 one direction and a 320 or 757 the other direction? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe from my experience that the 757 price points are typically higher.

I have seen fluctuation on my 737 TPA-IAD-TPA flights be anywhere from 5.99 to 8.99.. so they definitely are continuing to test different price points. I have also found the Airbus and 757 flights to consistently be more expensive.

Also, for ERJ170/75 I have seen some flights where the price is a whole dollar amount versus a XX.99. Just to add some data points.

I do have to give credit where credit is due, I have seen a big uptick in wifi reliability in the past 6 months. Last year, I think I was 40% or less for working wifi and was not happy. I am someone who purchases wifi 100% of the time on any flight over 1.25-1.5 hours (minus short red eyes) so it's important to me.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Were you on a 737 one direction and a 320 or 757 the other direction? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe from my experience that the 757 price points are typically higher.
Sorry, forgot to mention that I was on a 320 both ways.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
Sorry, forgot to mention that I was on a 320 both ways.
Oh wow, that's a crazy price difference! I have never seen that big of a difference on the 737's. Maybe someone else has more insight.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SAN-SFO yesterday on a 319 the only option was $5.99 for the full flight. Much better deal than what I've been seeing lately.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
My most recent ones included a $19.99 for DEN-IAD (739) and $12.99 for IAD-DEN (738 IIRC).

Originally Posted by Kacee
SAN-SFO yesterday on a 319 the only option was $5.99 for the full flight. Much better deal than what I've been seeing lately.
Yes, better than what I've been seeing even for short-haul flights like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.