Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Just arrived at IAH on the return flight of the first UA 787 ETOPS certification flight.
I flew on ship #3902 from ORD-IAH on 12/12. About 15-20 minutes out of ORD I was looking out the window and saw, what I thought, looked like another UA 787. (This was later confirmed via flightaware) I watched your plane for a few minutes as did others in the C cabin. Pretty cool experience that 2/3 of the UA fleet was in a few thousand feet from each other. Your plane landed just a few minutes ahead of ours.

I spoke to the pilots who had nothing but nice things to say about the 787. FWIW, they did stress that most of the delays with this a/c are computer orientated vs mechanical.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Noticed #3904 didn't fly IAH-DEN (and thus DEN-IAH), the two flights before mine (IAH-LAX). Boarding is in about 2 hours, so my question is when is the latest they would put in a 'planned switch' (if there even is such a thing)? It's still showing as a 787 at this time, but I'm not holding my breath!
I was scheduled to be on that IAH-DEN flight (just to try the 787).

It went mechanical because of a "computer issue" from the time I was at the gate (about 630 am). A little after 8am, the gate agent announced they couldn't resolve the issue, and that a 767 would be swapped in (and they were trying to locate a crew). I think the flight finally went out around 11am (I did a trip-in-vain refund and bailed).

Did you make it on to a 787, or get swapped as well?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by PubliusTX

Did you make it on to a 787, or get swapped as well?
I got lucky and flew on it IAH-LAX with about a 20 min delay due to servicing. Sorry you didn't get to ride it, it was a lot of fun!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Got my first ride on the 787 without getting subbed. Unfortunately it was a 2h48m (big tailwinds) redeye SFO-IAH. I wasn't looking forward to the short redeye right after coming in from LIH-SFO but to make matters worse, as warned in a previous experience, the FAs were yapping it up in the galley the whole flight. I was in 5L, so two rows off the galley on the right side, and they clumped up on that side after meal service. I could hear every word being said even with ear plugs on! Now, it's not that they were being especially loud (just normal loud and laughing) but I do think that the sound carried more in that plane than in others. I really thought it was the people in the row in front of me and was shocked when I sat up to check and saw they were fast asleep and it was the FAs yapping it up.

I managed to get 1 hr of sleep and spent the second hour watching the map across Texas... heh.

Otherwise, I found the plane to be awesome. It was like the feel of a luxury car over a standard car, in the smoothness of the ride, taxi, and engines. I do wish the windows were lower. The bigger windows are wasted on looking up more. The intercom system sounds really sweet...like digital or something... but the mics being used introduce a lot of distortion on the S's, both from the FAs and the flight deck, so the clear sound is ruined in that way. Love the automated announcements on seat belt sign-on events! I imagine they can be set for multiple languages depending on the flight.

Unfortunately, the special lighting wasn't taken advantage of on this redeye. They kept the lights full on during meal service and then just turned them off, then on again later instead of the gradual increase for acclamation.

I definately felt the difference in the pressure and humidity. I am especially affected by an aircrafts low pressure for flights over 2.5 hours so I could really feel the difference and appreciated it. Felt more like flying in your living room than in a typical aircraft. I watched as we passed the older generation aircraft as we taxiied by and felt like I was really in a new generation of flying. Kudos to UA for making it a part of the fleet. Big thumbs down on the 9 across seating in economy, glad I didn't have to experience it. Wish/hope they keep some 787s flying domestically. I enjoyed the good ole days just a few years ago of riding 3-class 767s from IAD to SEA during the summers. The 787 would be fantastic for that route, especially the redeye!

Oh another point of note... we did the straight slope approach from 41,000 feet down to about 4000 and they must have saved even more fuel with that. I have been reading in Aviation Week how that is being slowly phased in at certain airports. I am not sure if that requires newer equipment in the cockpit to support it as other new ATC advances require, but maybe it does and the 787 has it, so they can do those approaches? ....or maybe it has happened before on my flights in 737s and 757s and I just didn't notice it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I do wish the windows were lower. The bigger windows are wasted on looking up more

<snip>

Wish/hope they keep some 787s flying domestically.
Forgot to post that when I wrote my brief report. I want to look DOWN, so the lager part being at the top is totally wasted

Oh, don't know about other domestic routes, but the new DEN-NRT gets its start at IAH, though unlike many flights with equipment change that have the same number, it changes from UA1206 to UA123

Pretty sure it's a Houston based crew, but it could be that they switch crews in DEN, as the NRT flight is quite long (and yes, I'm on the inaugural ).

EmailKid
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
but to make matters worse, as warned in a previous experience, the FAs were yapping it up in the galley the whole flight. I was in 5L, so two rows off the galley on the right side, and they clumped up on that side after meal service. I could hear every word being said even with ear plugs on! Now, it's not that they were being especially loud (just normal loud and laughing) but I do think that the sound carried more in that plane than in others. I really thought it was the people in the row in front of me and was shocked when I sat up to check and saw they were fast asleep and it was the FAs yapping it up.
Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes. I couldn't believe how loud the FAs in the gallery appeared to be on my SFO-IAH redeye. Row 1 was so much quieter
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Finally got my chance. I flew IAH-LAX today in 1A. Enjoyed the flight overall. Y aisle seems narrow, but the FA said her hips don't hit the seats like in other AC. Windows are cool, mood lighting was in effect and the service was good. I would not take row 4 due to galley noise, but row 1 is far enough away. The plane looks a little cluttered, but I wouldn't hesitate to take this aircraft in BF. If in Y though...

Also, pilots let me sit in the first officers chair and took a picture for me. You can tell ground staff and FAs are still getting used to the new plane.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Dec 19, 2012 at 11:10 pm
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Flew 1430 IAH-LAX on Monday, 12/17 in Y, seat 27C. Overall, other than the seat being a bit tight, I was impressed. The FA's didn't hit my legs with the carts. The hydraulic pumps are definitely a loud whine during taxi, takeoff and landing. Lav is a bit noisier than I'm used to on Boeing a/c.

I'd fly it again in Y. For a mid-con, I arrived refreshed and generally in better condition than in similar circumstances on B752 a/c that I'm used to.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes. I couldn't believe how loud the FAs in the gallery appeared to be on my SFO-IAH redeye. Row 1 was so much quieter
This is a common problem accross UA on all types of overnight flights including $14000 F international round trips. The crew often hangs out in the F galley. If I sense that the pursar is reasonable I have said in the past (during the meal orders/personal greetings) that my "common problem" with these flights is FA chatter at night and that has solved the problem. Perhaps 2 times in 3 on pmUA. I don't have enough comparable data on the post-merger flights.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
Oh another point of note... we did the straight slope approach from 41,000 feet down to about 4000 and they must have saved even more fuel with that. I have been reading in Aviation Week how that is being slowly phased in at certain airports. I am not sure if that requires newer equipment in the cockpit to support it as other new ATC advances require, but maybe it does and the 787 has it, so they can do those approaches? ....or maybe it has happened before on my flights in 737s and 757s and I just didn't notice it.
Welcome to NextGen...the FAA's effort to modernize US airspace by 2025.

Continuous Descent Approaches (CDA) require some sort of datalink between aircraft and ground. Usually it's ADS-B and/or CPDLC and UA has been doing a lot of oceanic tests with the FAA on the former. CDAs have been implemented at SDF (for UPS) and LAX, so I wouldn't be surprised if IAH had one too.

According to Boeing estimates, a 73G would save about 2.1% (17 lb) in fuel or 24 seconds of flight...yeah not much.

And now back to our scheduled 787 programming.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Got my first ride on the 787 without getting subbed. Unfortunately it was a 2h48m (big tailwinds) redeye SFO-IAH. I wasn't looking forward to the short redeye right after coming in from LIH-SFO but to make matters worse, as warned in a previous experience, the FAs were yapping it up in the galley the whole flight. I was in 5L, so two rows off the galley on the right side, and they clumped up on that side after meal service. I could hear every word being said even with ear plugs on! Now, it's not that they were being especially loud (just normal loud and laughing) but I do think that the sound carried more in that plane than in others. I really thought it was the people in the row in front of me and was shocked when I sat up to check and saw they were fast asleep and it was the FAs yapping it up.

I managed to get 1 hr of sleep and spent the second hour watching the map across Texas... heh.

Otherwise, I found the plane to be awesome. It was like the feel of a luxury car over a standard car, in the smoothness of the ride, taxi, and engines. I do wish the windows were lower. The bigger windows are wasted on looking up more. The intercom system sounds really sweet...like digital or something... but the mics being used introduce a lot of distortion on the S's, both from the FAs and the flight deck, so the clear sound is ruined in that way. Love the automated announcements on seat belt sign-on events! I imagine they can be set for multiple languages depending on the flight.

Unfortunately, the special lighting wasn't taken advantage of on this redeye. They kept the lights full on during meal service and then just turned them off, then on again later instead of the gradual increase for acclamation.

I definately felt the difference in the pressure and humidity. I am especially affected by an aircrafts low pressure for flights over 2.5 hours so I could really feel the difference and appreciated it. Felt more like flying in your living room than in a typical aircraft. I watched as we passed the older generation aircraft as we taxiied by and felt like I was really in a new generation of flying. Kudos to UA for making it a part of the fleet. Big thumbs down on the 9 across seating in economy, glad I didn't have to experience it. Wish/hope they keep some 787s flying domestically. I enjoyed the good ole days just a few years ago of riding 3-class 767s from IAD to SEA during the summers. The 787 would be fantastic for that route, especially the redeye!

I flew with that crew on the IAH-SFO leg, they were turning back to IAH. They were loud in the back of the plane also. Exit row. I made friends with the crew and my seatmate and I had drinks flowing the entire trip.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:13 pm

I had four flights all in Y.

My impressions, avoid the exit row. Leg room was ok, but got bumped by everyone, my seatmate and I were glued together the entire flight. Exit row was very very loud. FA's couldn't hear us. Padding seemed a bit less in the exit row. Exit seats very very thin.

Y+, cabin was quiet, and seats felt much better than the exit row. I did have an elderly woman in the middle, and she was tiny but we were still touching shoulders.

It might be me, but are the seats closer to the ground? My knees were aching after these flights.

Also, the safety video seemed to be on fast forward. It was fast and the flight crew couldn't keep up.

All flights were smooth with just a few bumps. I loved the higher ceilings and bigger bins. Plane was comfortable but I would really avoid the exit row aisle on an international flight. The toilets are very loud when they flush, everyone bumped me walking by and having the seat monitors inside my seat didnt allow me to finish my movie. .
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I had four flights all in Y.

My impressions, avoid the exit row. Leg room was ok, but got bumped by everyone, my seatmate and I were glued together the entire flight. Exit row was very very loud. FA's couldn't hear us. Padding seemed a bit less in the exit row. Exit seats very very thin.

Y+, cabin was quiet, and seats felt much better than the exit row. I did have an elderly woman in the middle, and she was tiny but we were still touching shoulders.

It might be me, but are the seats closer to the ground? My knees were aching after these flights.

(.
What was your exit row seat? Row 27 I assume? I put myself in 16L E+ on an LAX-NRT trip in April. Do you think I'll fare better in that first E+ bulkhead non-exit row window seat behind BF than you did with your exit row seat?

On a recent UA 787 flight, walking to the lav it was hard to not bump into aisle seat passengers. UA's 787 aisles are narrow. Aisle passengers seem to lean out to the aisle trying to avoid rubbing shoulders with the middle seat passenger. I unintentionally bumped into several aisle passengers and I'm a fairly slim guy.

After a grueling UA 787 IAH-LAX flight in 19A E+ rubbing shoulders and elbows with the B seat passenger, I'm not looking forward to more UA 787 Y flights, especially a long international flight. All the goodies of the 787 don't compensate for UA's uncomfortable Y seats. At least 16L at the front of E+ will allow me to get up to walk around if I'm stuck with a large person next to me in the middle seat. I hope to sleep most of the flight. Might need 2 Xanax to get through it. Next NRT trip will be on SQ A380, very comfy and wide Y seats.

To appreciate this aircraft, you need to fly ANA or Japan Airlines with their 2-4-2 Y configuration. Sorry a US airline is not able to impress passengers with this new airplane.

Last edited by colortv; Dec 20, 2012 at 1:58 am
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by colortv
What was your exit row seat? Row 27 I assume? I put myself in 16L E+ on an LAX-NRT trip in April. Do you think I'll fare better in that first E+ bulkhead non-exit row window seat behind BF than you did with your exit row seat?

On a recent UA 787 flight, walking to the lav it was hard to not bump into aisle seat passengers. UA's 787 aisles are narrow. Aisle passengers seem to lean out to the aisle trying to avoid rubbing shoulders with the middle seat passenger. I unintentionally bumped into several aisle passengers and I'm a fairly slim guy.

After a grueling UA 787 IAH-LAX flight in 19A E+ rubbing shoulders and elbows with the B seat passenger, I'm not looking forward to more UA 787 Y flights, especially a long international flight. All the goodies of the 787 don't compensate for UA's uncomfortable Y seats. At least 16L at the front of E+ will allow me to get up to walk around if I'm stuck with a large person next to me in the middle seat. I hope to sleep most of the flight. Might need 2 Xanax to get through it. Next NRT trip will be on SQ A380, very comfy and wide Y seats.

To appreciate this aircraft, you need to fly ANA or Japan Airlines with their 2-4-2 Y configuration. Sorry a US airline is not able to impress passengers with this new airplane.
I would say row 16 would be better, with less traffic in that area. The exit row was extemely loud, the FA even metioned how loud the aircraft was in that spot. (27J)

I got bumped by everyone, as I was leaning into the aisle as the person, (my new friend) in the center seat had large Shoulders. I'm 5 11, 170. The cart, the FA the passengers going to the lavs, everyone. I can't imagine trying to sleep in that seat. The noises that came from that spot were unique. The bathroom was loud with every flush. A different kind of loud. I have flown ANA's 787 and it was amazing. I'll take the 787 on a domestic run over any single aisle plane. Something about a widebody.

But If I'm flying International Y, I'm sticking with the 767 and 777's.

Oh, and the SQ 380, fantastic layout. I used miles and got C class, amazing. I did fly Y on one leg and it was also nice, less legroom that Y+ but everything else was great!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I would say row 16 would be better, with less traffic in that area. The exit row was extemely loud, the FA even metioned how loud the aircraft was in that spot. (27J)

I got bumped by everyone, as I was leaning into the aisle as the person, (my new friend) in the center seat had large Shoulders. I'm 5 11, 170. The cart, the FA the passengers going to the lavs, everyone. I can't imagine trying to sleep in that seat. The noises that came from that spot were unique. The bathroom was loud with every flush. A different kind of loud. I have flown ANA's 787 and it was amazing. I'll take the 787 on a domestic run over any single aisle plane. Something about a widebody.

But If I'm flying International Y, I'm sticking with the 767 and 777's.

Oh, and the SQ 380, fantastic layout. I used miles and got C class, amazing. I did fly Y on one leg and it was also nice, less legroom that Y+ but everything else was great!
You may have seen the video I made about my UA 787 flight. I explored the UA 787 in the video, including the toilet. Indeed, a unique and loud flush. In row 27 with a lav in front of you it must have been brutal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=737t6...ature=youtu.be

It's interesting (not in a good way) that sound concentrates in the area around row 27. Must be the hard surfaces of the lavs in front and behind. I hope Boeing and United don't think they've got such a fantastic airplane it's beyond reproach. As more of these a/c fly, let's hope passenger feedback is heard and acted on. A soft textured sound absorbing material on some of the hard surfaces will solve this problem if there's a will.

New aircraft such as 787 and A380 with their quiet engines also mean less white noise to mask chatter and other noises in the cabin. I'm praying for no cell phone conversations on airplanes. I've noticed on both these a/c types I'm hearing a lot more chatter and other noises than I've noticed on other aircraft. The only solution might be to bring your own noise canceling headphones.

Since the 787 is being utilized for long hauls, I'm afraid I'll be avoiding this a/c in the future. Bummer because I've been so excited about it for years. I've been more comfortable on AirAsia's A320 than UA's new twin aisle. 777 is still my favorite a/c. I'll choose a 777 or A380 for my long hauls whenever possible.

I'm flying a China Southern A380 LAX-CAN next week. Their Y seats are shown on seatguru as the same width as UA's 787. Praying for a slim passenger next to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.