Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For complimentary premier upgrades, United explains how they are handled for itineraries with more than one passenger:

Companion policy

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../upgrades.html

For elites, an itinerary for multiple passengers will remain together until ~T-24. If the upgrades clear before then, the PNR remains together. If they have not cleared by then, the PNR will be "split" when you check in for purposes of upgrades, with waitlist priority in accordance with above. The splitting has consequences regarding eligibility for "inherited status" - i.e., baggage allowances, upgrade priority, boarding priority for passengers with lower status than the highest status passenger. I.e., as a formal matter the benefits of inherited status are lost (although E+ seats are usually retained or can be gotten back, baggage is usually granted, one can board with highest priority passenger). This also matters for the return.

This thread explains various scenarios and considerations as to whether it is desirable to split the PNR before T-24 and the consequences of having it happen.

Questions to consider:
1) Do you mind if not all passengers are upgraded? If you are willing to have some people remain in coach, then splitting increases your chances of an upgrade before T-24 because sometimes only one upgrade seat becomes available at a time. In such scenarios a group of 2+ will be skipped. If you can't be separated, don't split until forced to do so. If you really can't be separated, consider a call to UA to ask to be marked not for upgrades.
2) Once you get inside T-24 your PNR will be split, unless you make a special request that it not be. Each passenger will be placed on the upgrade list in accordance with the above. This doesn't matter much on the outbound flight unless there are IRROPS, in which case it may be tougher to get accommodation for all passengers.
3) On the return flight(s) the companions may no longer have the highest level of status of all passengers, including baggage allowances (E+ seats are usually retained). However, some recent reports are that companions retain the status of the highest passenger on the original PNR, even after it is split.

related threads
The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Splitting up partner airline award reservation

Archive thread : To split or not to split PNR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

To split or not to split PNR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:04 pm

Programs: Continental
Splitting a pnr

My wife and I (both 1k) are traveling phx-iah-fra-ist, returning ist-ams-sfo-phx.
we are wailisted using my plus points .
I was thinking to split the pnr, to give us a better chance for upgrades. We are ok if only one clears.
Can I do this now rather than wait for olci?
There are segments on LH and TK which are not wailisted of course, but will splitting have a negative effect?
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:22 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by hockey7711
My wife and I (both 1k) are traveling phx-iah-fra-ist, returning ist-ams-sfo-phx.
I was thinking to split the pnr, to give us a better chance for upgrades. We are ok if only one clears.
There are segments on LH and TK which are not wailisted of course, but will splitting have a negative effect?
Splitting with partner segments is always a little bit scary. You can do it, just make sure to check w/ all OAL after the fact to make sure their segments are still intact.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:26 pm

Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about...
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
but will splitting have a negative effect?
Since you are both 1K.... I can't think of any downside to splitting in advance.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Splitting with partner segments is always a little bit scary. You can do it, just make sure to check w/ all OAL after the fact to make sure their segments are still intact.
have an agent do the split and then check partner websites to ensure it was done right. This is usually not a problem and pretty standard, have done it many times w/o any issues.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:38 pm

I called and the split it for me. Got new pnrs for LH and TK.
Everything looks fine on their websites.

What kind of benefits do StarGold get on TK?
Old Oct 15, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
What kind of benefits do StarGold get on TK?
Priority check in, extra baggage, priority baggage, lounge access.

Star alliance gold on TK benefits? and

From TK: Star Alliance Gold card owners enjoy priority check-in, use of special passenger lounges, priority boarding, extra baggage allowance, and priority baggage claim at the airport as well as priority status on reservation standby and airport waiting lists. https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...els-questions/
Old Oct 15, 2023, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Well, the upgrade chances might increase but when you have an IRROP later on, you will regret it. I just returned from S.A. (CPT), where UA canceled two flights in a row (CPT-IAD) which left 2 x 250 passengers to be rebooked. I was split because of an outbound upgrade split. For the return, the system rebooked us on two different flights (one of us CPT-EWR and the other CPT-JNB-EWR) for the “short” 16 hour flight back to the US. The “linkage” of the two new records were completely ignored by the system when rebooking us.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Christefan
Well, the upgrade chances might increase but when you have an IRROP later on, you will regret it. I just returned from S.A. (CPT), where UA canceled two flights in a row (CPT-IAD) which left 2 x 250 passengers to be rebooked. I was split because of an outbound upgrade split. For the return, the system rebooked us on two different flights (one of us CPT-EWR and the other CPT-JNB-EWR) for the “short” 16 hour flight back to the US. The “linkage” of the two new records were completely ignored by the system when rebooking us.
Nothing for the system to ignore, there is no such thing as linking PNRs. Once split they are separate.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by cfischer
Nothing for the system to ignore, there is no such thing as linking PNRs. Once split they are separate.
According to the airline(s), PNRs can be linked for collective processing.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Christefan
According to the airline(s), PNRs can be linked for collective processing.
According to which airline? Sure, an agent can "link" two PNRs by putting in some notes regarding passengers traveling tgether. But those notes are not processed in any automated way on any airline I've ever traveled on.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:19 am

Split PNR and Upgrade Confusion

Hi - flying LAX-SJD in December in economy on the way down with my wife. I am 1K and my wife is Gold. I have applied Plus Points for the upgrade on our (now) single PNR. I called in to ask about splitting the PNR and the agent said that we were #1 and #2 on the Upgrade list but we would be #1 and #7 if we split the PNR so didn't split. There are only 5 seats left on a 12 seat cabin so I'm thinking PZ=2 won't happen and called back. The agent I talked to at that point said that there were plenty of seats available and I should wait to split the PNR. She also said that if we waited until T-24 (or check in or thereabouts) the *single* PNR would be on the upgrade list (not sure what this is called when it goes from the pre-check in list to the secondary/airport control upgrade list) and we would be #1 and #2 on the

Everything I'm reading here is saying that if we keep the single PNR (and likely do not get upgraded and even get skipped if PZ=1 shows up rather than PZ=2), it will get automatically split and we will have our own PNR with our own priorities (ie, I'm #1 and she is #6 due to Gold). If this is the case what point is there to keeping the PNR intact with a near 0% chance of upgrade? I understand chancing it and waiting to T-24 if the priority remains the same but this seems wrong.

I'm sure I'm either operating off incorrect or incomplete information so any guidance and advice is appreciated.

Last edited by todd236; Oct 25, 2023 at 8:29 am
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The PNR will automatically split before checkin if the upgrade request is still applied. Your wife will have the same priority as you, since it inherits from the original reservation (I am not sure if this still applies for a manual PNR split by an agent, but I actually think it does).
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by todd236
Hi - flying LAX-SJC in December in economy on the way down with my wife.
SJC? San Jose, California? Are you really that concerned about the upgrade on a 308-mile flight? Since you said "down," I'm thinking maybe you mean SJD (Los Cabos)?

Originally Posted by todd236
There are only 5 seats left on a 12 seat cabin so I'm thinking PZ=2 won't happen and called back.
The chances of either upgrade clearing in advance are virtually nil, and in fact you have little chance to clear at all, even at the gate. 5 seats available for a flight in December is a terrible sign.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Split PNR before or after check-in?

Traveling with my non-elite Wife, SFO-HKG. Our upgrades cleared, but I want to switch one of us from miles to plus points (I only have 40 plus points so had to apply for upgrade with miles+$$$ for both of us.

So, do I call to see if they can split the PNR and change my upgrade from miles to Plus Points before check-in, or after? Thanks!

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Dec 6, 2023 at 3:46 pm Reason: Clarity... upgrade already cleared, just want to change to PP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.