Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

There were 5 of us on 3 different PNRs for flights home tomorrow (done so to maximize UG chances and make sure we had bags covered). I did auto-check in for the flight home, but nowhere did I agree to split PNRs at T-24. Lo and behold, we're now on 5 different PNRs (one of whom is a minor), and of course the new ones didn't show up in my account (had to log in under their MP numbers to find the info).

How do we stop this in the future? An incredibly annoying "feature" IMO.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA MM
I wish there was a way to just opt out of the UG mess. If I'm travelling with my wife and kid, I don't want it, I just want to sit with them. And once they get split into all the little itty bitty PNRs, all h*** breaks loose if there's any change of aircraft or irrops that requires new seat assignments. Yuck.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Anyone else know how to trick this stupid system into not splitting?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 7, 2012 at 3:49 pm Reason: response to deleted post
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The system asked me specifically if I wanted to split for upgrades. Are you positive you didn't see that before clicking through?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 7, 2012 at 3:50 pm Reason: quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
The system asked me specifically if I wanted to split for upgrades. Are you positive you didn't see that before clicking through?
I actually do remember seeing that, and specifically did NOT elect to split as 1) my PNR companion is a GM, so I wanted to keep us together, and 2) we've already been upgraded on the 1,700 mile leg and didn't need to press for an upgrade on the 400 mile leg, esp. as it's an E70 so a small Y/C delta.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Don't use auto-check in.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:45 pm

I know that calling and telling UA doesn't do squat. A couple weeks ago I was flying with my family (including 3 children). After making my reservation online I called and after being on hold FOREVER, specifically told the agent to keep me off the upgrade list so I could stay with my family. Of course, I got upgraded and couldn't get my original seat back. So once on the plane it took some juggling to get us all kinda together (there were all families around us so giving away a first class seat was a lot harder than I thought).

As I've mentioned before, I fully realize UA doesn't care about 1K's (or most any individual, for that matter), so the screw-up doesn't surprise me. I'm already at 50k qualifying miles for the year so with zero worry about keeping my status I've already started flying AA and SWA.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 3MM, Lifetime 1K, Lifetime UC, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, CMEL pilot
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Don't use auto-check in.
I didn't use it and the freaking system split us (both 1K MM) anyway. Irrops ensued and we became ensnarled in a cluster of the highest order as a result.

deek
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I also hate the auto-split. Why is it so hard to keep two pax on one PNR?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Agree - this is a cluster

My former 1P now GM son and I got split in the process of going SEA-SFO-HNL last month. The result was that I got upgraded and he didn't and I couldn't decline it and stay seated with him. OK - he got NF and I got exit row. Bad as the "1 traveling companion on the same PNR" rule was clearly violated.

Problem: once split, the PNRs are split. So the return was a cluster in every possible way. Is this a pmCO thing?? No matter, it NEEDS TO STOP.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I also hate the auto-split. Why is it so hard to keep two pax on one PNR?
Why? because CO's vastly inferior SHARES system can't handle >1 person on a record for EUA purposes.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
+1
traveling with partner who is also gold, upgrade confusion on board after we had already boarded in coach. Both asked if we wanted to move up front at separate times after we were seated in exit row. Both declined individually but had we known we probably both should have been upgraded. Checked return today and our res is split without permission. Declined auto check in on return. What a pita.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA1K
The PNR auto-splitting was amusing a couple weeks ago when I travelled with my infant daughter who had her own seat. I got upgraded and she was stuck in coach. Resulted in more work for the check-in agent to fix. Same thing happened on the return, since the PNR was already split.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Wasn't aware of this. Does the system still split the PNR if both passengers have been upgraded prior to T-24?

And after the split, does the non-elite passenger still get placed on the upgrade list? If so, is it based on the status of the elite member?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:19 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
Wasn't aware of this. Does the system still split the PNR if both passengers have been upgraded prior to T-24?

And after the split, does the non-elite passenger still get placed on the upgrade list? If so, is it based on the status of the elite member?
IME, after split, the non-elite pax does not get placed on the upgrade list automatically. A request to add a companion to the upgrade list on the day of travel usually is met with the response "you can't do it" because the UC agent or the gate agent does not know how to to do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.