Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For complimentary premier upgrades, United explains how they are handled for itineraries with more than one passenger:

Companion policy

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../upgrades.html

For elites, an itinerary for multiple passengers will remain together until ~T-24. If the upgrades clear before then, the PNR remains together. If they have not cleared by then, the PNR will be "split" when you check in for purposes of upgrades, with waitlist priority in accordance with above. The splitting has consequences regarding eligibility for "inherited status" - i.e., baggage allowances, upgrade priority, boarding priority for passengers with lower status than the highest status passenger. I.e., as a formal matter the benefits of inherited status are lost (although E+ seats are usually retained or can be gotten back, baggage is usually granted, one can board with highest priority passenger). This also matters for the return.

This thread explains various scenarios and considerations as to whether it is desirable to split the PNR before T-24 and the consequences of having it happen.

Questions to consider:
1) Do you mind if not all passengers are upgraded? If you are willing to have some people remain in coach, then splitting increases your chances of an upgrade before T-24 because sometimes only one upgrade seat becomes available at a time. In such scenarios a group of 2+ will be skipped. If you can't be separated, don't split until forced to do so. If you really can't be separated, consider a call to UA to ask to be marked not for upgrades.
2) Once you get inside T-24 your PNR will be split, unless you make a special request that it not be. Each passenger will be placed on the upgrade list in accordance with the above. This doesn't matter much on the outbound flight unless there are IRROPS, in which case it may be tougher to get accommodation for all passengers.
3) On the return flight(s) the companions may no longer have the highest level of status of all passengers, including baggage allowances (E+ seats are usually retained). However, some recent reports are that companions retain the status of the highest passenger on the original PNR, even after it is split.

related threads
The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Splitting up partner airline award reservation

Archive thread : To split or not to split PNR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

To split or not to split PNR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
...Your PNR will be split automatically if the upgrade hasn't been cleared by ~T-24 prior to your first flight....
Will it? I've read both ways reported in this thread.

I've read that splitting no longer happens unless you are upgraded at the gate even if you choose to stay upgrade eligible at check-in. But this has always been unclear to me since I rarely travel with companions.

I also read that benefits remain with the non-status/lower status companion even after splitting. This is also unclear to me. And if it survives to the return flight. (ie. If split on outbound, will non-status still be upgrade eligible?)
​​​​
I had a post #661 a while back that never got any answers
Old Sep 26, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
I just booked flights for my family of 7 EWR-FCO for next year in economy. I applied mileage upgrades for the return to premium economy and will wait for my new plus points to arrive to apply for upgrades to polaris on the outbound. I am quite sure I won't get 7 to clear let alone to have 7 clear all at once. Reading here it sounds like I need to split up the reservation now to have any chance since they won't upgrade us individually? Assuming this will mess up all of our status and IRROPS support? I am 1k MM and my wife is my gifted 1k and thats it for status.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
You're not likely to clear that many way in advance, but even if you split 4 and 3 your chances aren't great. I think you'll be fine in IRROPS with two PNRs each with a 1K though . . . there will be a challenge accommodating 7 regardless.

I might let it ride and figure that maybe you can all clear together when it's closer to flight time.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 2:00 pm

Pluspoints question

Hello all,
OGG-LAX booked for 5 in economy, utilizing Pluspoints for all 5. 7 First class seats for sale 25 days out. Is it better for upgrading to split the res? If at least 2 don't get upgraded, I'll be in deep trouble with the Mrs. Thanks in advance. 1k although I don't think that matters.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old Sep 26, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by nkh75
Hello all,
OGG-LAX booked for 5 in economy, utilizing Pluspoints for all 5. 7 First class seats for sale 25 days out. Is it better for upgrading to split the res? If at least 2 don't get upgraded, I'll be in deep trouble with the Mrs.
7 empty and 25 days out?
No need to worry about Mrs. nkh75: none of you will get the upgrade, is my prediction!
Old Sep 26, 2023, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Near zero chance you will get any, but certainly better to split 3+2 or even 3+1+1 etc to increase the chance of clearing
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 2:16 pm

If that were the likely scenario, understood, and I can just use miles for 1. Watching flights with that # of open first class seats frequently for my weekly flying, none clearing seems unlikely. My question I think still remains on whether splitting the res is beneficial.

Thanks,
Nathan

What's interesting is that there is at least 3 seats available in first every day from 9/27 to 10/20. Sounds like going 1/2/2 as 2 of the passengers are minors with the 1 being miles is the highest probability for clearing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 30, 2023 at 12:54 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 26, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Splitting won't help unless they open up multiple seats in advance, which is extra unlikely. And unless you have multiple 1Ks on PNR, your priority will drop. If you get inside 24 hours you'd all be as high up list as you could be, with PNR split if anyone clears.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by nkh75
My question I think still remains on whether splitting the res is beneficial.
Post #3 answered that.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If you are looking at seat map, that 7 seats could be less, as not everyone already in F may have selected a seat. Regardless, with about a month to go, not looking too good. The odds are not with you regardless of the number you are seeking to upgrade.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, splitting the reservation will increase chances of someone getting upgraded. As long as you’re together, you will be passed over for people lower on the waitlist if PZ<5 opens. For example, if one upgrade seat is released, the first reservation on waitlist looking for 1 upgrade gets it. Not you or anyone on your reservation, who are looking for 5.

That being said, there’s no way 5 of you will be upgraded considering UA’s reduced F capacity to OGG. "If at least 2 don't get upgraded, I'll be in deep trouble with the Mrs..." - you might start thinking now how to diffuse the situation
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 26, 2023 at 4:55 pm
Old Sep 26, 2023, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
What day of the week are we talking about? mrs. iapetus, the iapetus jrs. and I all cleared OGG-LAX on a Saturday afternoon back in July. I'm a 1K, and so is mrs. iapetus on account of my 1MM status.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
If I were you, if you really want first, buy up all 5 now. Upgrades are unlikely.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iapetus
What day of the week are we talking about? mrs. iapetus, the iapetus jrs. and I all cleared OGG-LAX on a Saturday afternoon back in July. I'm a 1K, and so is mrs. iapetus on account of my 1MM status.
Significant difference now. Non-stops east of West Coast are not running now. All F pax are routing through on reduced-schedule to OGG via LAX or SFO. The alternate is via HNL and HA to OGG. OP is wanting 5 seats w/ J7 25 days out - his vision is a mirage..

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 26, 2023 at 5:20 pm
Old Sep 27, 2023, 8:32 am

I just bought all 5 with points. Thans again for the helpful responses FT.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, uanj and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.