Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably a good idea to arrive at the gate a little early.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I have only encountered this issue to places where Visas are required.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by stampchez
it says unable to complete the check in process. Please proceed to the airport for assistance.

I called and the agent did not see any errors that could be corrected.
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Yes, the format of the email when you have the dreaded SSSS is very different to the email when they need to verify the travel documents.

Also, note the SSSS applies to all legs you are flying even if the SSSS is not on the subsequent BPs - this was news to me as I assumed once I had been through the additional security once (in LHR) this would suffice, but I also had to undergo additional security on the second leg (in SFO) and this was far more intensive. Also, TSA-pre does not apply when you have SSSS.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[Yes, the format of the email when you have the dreaded SSSS is very different to the email when they need to verify the travel documents.

Also, note the SSSS applies to all legs you are flying even if the SSSS is not on the subsequent BPs - this was news to me as I assumed once I had been through the additional security once (in LHR) this would suffice, but I also had to undergo additional security on the second leg (in SFO) and this was far more intensive. Also, TSA-pre does not apply when you have SSSS.
That's not been my experience. I've only received SSSS when returning to the US and none of my domestic connection BPs have had SSSS. The only thing I lose is my PreCheck.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2017 at 3:36 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
[Yes, the format of the email when you have the dreaded SSSS is very different to the email when they need to verify the travel documents.

That's not been my experience. I've only received SSSS when returning to the US and none of my domestic connection BPs have had SSSS. The only thing I lose is my PreCheck.
This is what happened to me in August 2017. My BP in SFO came up red as I tried to board the flight (although the SFO-SAN BP did not have SSSS on it). I showed them the LHR-SFO BP with the SSSS and security clearance stamp. UA manager told me I needed to go through SSSS clearance again. Fortunately there was security right next to our gate but I was the last to board the plane (after being in BG1).

Like you my GE did not provide me TSA-pre on the BP connecting from international to domestic terminals. Made me grateful that I normally have TSA-pre.

Although, perhaps I was randomly selected for SSSS both in LHR and SFO (should have bought the Powerball lottery ticket.)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2017 at 3:37 pm Reason: reapired quote
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Whenever this happens it is a huge source of frustration. Because I have largely structured my travel to eliminate unknown variables like security lines, checked baggage, etc. Being forced to wait anywhere from 0-30 just to get a BP means I will either waste time in a crappy UC or be anxious about making it to the gate before boarding.

Fortunately the 1k/C lines @sfo international terminal are rarely long, but that is not the case if you have a domestic connection in T-3. And don't get me started on CUN ...

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Mostly the same for me, though I sometimes get the dreaded message when I switch passports. For some reason .bomb does not seem to be able to store 2 passports even though both have been scanned by the app and verified many times at the airport.

Originally Posted by TomMM
I've never gotten a mobile boarding pass on INTL trips.
I get them all the time for outbound travel. However, it is not always possible to get them for the return trip back to the USA.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Boraxo
For some reason .bomb does not seem to be able to store 2 passports
Both of mine are stored, though I wish they'd support Nexus.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I get them all the time for outbound travel. However, it is not always possible to get them for the return trip back to the USA.

Looking through my mobile BPs(Yes I keep them) I have never received one from UA on an INTL trip, either outbound or inbound. I do have a few from DL and LH INTL trips.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I just received one today for my international flight from LHR tomorrow. It is a very odd message. I did change my phone number in my account but cannot think that had anything to do with it. It would be nice if they put the reason for this rather than leaving it to guesswork and adding to the stress.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Exactly. That is my biggest problem as well. There is no reason you cannot electronically check me in, and then verify my travel documents later on at the gate. They do that anyways now, the baggage agent who checks you in verifies your visa, and then you need to do the same thing at the boarding gate again.

Last edited by KDS777; Sep 22, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by KDS777
Exactly. That is my biggest problem as well. There is no reason you cannot electronically check me in, and then verify my travel documents later on at the gate. They do that anyways now, the gate agent who checks you in verifies your visa, and then you need to do the same thing at the boarding gate again.
I often get this on flights to USA even though I have my Global Entry and ARC numbers in my profile and all my res. You can't even get GE without residency. And I got it on flight from USA to PRC. You can't check in unless with an agent who verifies the visa. Then they check the visa again at the gate, as if we could have lost it in between. I wish they would treat us as adults, at least the ones who are elite with passports scanned and lots of int'l flights.

The real way that you can be screwed is that you don't get onto the upgrade standby list until you have completed check in. So people who can do OLCI or mobile get an advantage, and you can theoretically be skipped depending on when they start processing that list.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
That's my concern.

I am sitting here waiting for 10:10 PM MST to arrive so I can check the flight status and view the list, but I cannot physically check in until tomorrow AM. Being UA Gold meant I should have been confirmed yesterday regardless (48 hours out according to the website) on my paid M+ upgrade, but it seems like that is just a marketing ploy.

Now having said that, a month ago when I bought the ticket and did the paid M+ upgrade, I got my confirmed on the first segment, and could see the wait list from YYC-IAH as well the next day. But the second segment is a shrouded mystery. Heh.

I'm not expecting any problems as there are 12 empty J seats right now, and on this route, almost zero status fliers of any kind, and normally you have empty J seats enroute. But still...........I always pay for J as a rule, and this time, I had a load of miles I wanted to get rid of, so I upgraded myself and my wife.

Aaarrrggghhhh......what a PITA.

Last edited by KDS777; Sep 22, 2017 at 8:35 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by seacarl
.... The real way that you can be screwed is that you don't get onto the upgrade standby list until you have completed check in. So people who can do OLCI or mobile get an advantage, and you can theoretically be skipped depending on when they start processing that list.
Check-in time and being checked-in only matters for the gate list which isn't used until it is too late to check-in. So, it could matter but only in the case of status and fare class ties. And there would be no skipping, just a priority placement difference.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I just received one today for my international flight from LHR tomorrow. It is a very odd message. I did change my phone number in my account but cannot think that had anything to do with it. It would be nice if they put the reason for this rather than leaving it to guesswork and adding to the stress.
Answering my own post here, I got the dreaded SSSS for the second flight from LHR in a row. Odd.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
I’ve been getting SSSS every time I travel. How do i get off this list? I’m already a GE card holder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.