Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Wow -- what an awesome post -- thanks so much for sharing.

This restores my faith in flyertalk....
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sbm12

If you want to get a bit more fancy and make it even easier - AND if you have a browser which supports GreaseMonkey scripts - I've created a script which causes the inventory to always be displayed for all flights and which highlights the award buckets. The downside is that there is no "X" button to close it and it obscures some other information, but I like the inventory info more so that's how I roll. For more information on that script check out my post here. Version 6.1 of the script is the first to support the new United.com and PSS site in it; older versions need to be upgraded.
I'll give ^^ to the above. For those of us PMUAers who miss .bomb , install this and you'll find it much easier to find upgradeable flights.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Just click the link on the page that says "head here to get the script" and Chrome should prompt you to load it.
Excellent! Thanks so much. And, yes, the availability information is far better on the new site (or the old CO) site. Of course, this doesn't help with the actual availability .
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Yes, that listing is out of date. A current list is here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...he-new-united/.
This is excellent. Just what I was looking for.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
Awesome! Works perfectly in Chrome on Mac. Thanks, sbm12.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1 Million Miler, CX Gold
Is I = XC?

Please clarify
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kan1011
Is I = XC?

Please clarify
I/IN = XC (3 cabin planes and 2 Cabin international) and XF (2 Cabin domestic)
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kan1011
Is I = XC?

Please clarify
smb12 has created a complete lists in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html

I/IN (IN for elites) are equivalent to XC
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Works as advertised for my two flights coming up next week and the week after--yet another triumph of crowdsourced documentation.

But... I thought miles trumped other upgrade instruments under the new system. So why would the site show RN0 (miles) and JN9 (UDU, if I understand correctly)? The flight's UA 1638 on 3/14, if anybody wants to check for themselves.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:32 am
jtn

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Works as advertised for my two flights coming up next week and the week after--yet another triumph of crowdsourced documentation.

But... I thought miles trumped other upgrade instruments under the new system. So why would the site show RN0 (miles) and JN9 (UDU, if I understand correctly)? The flight's UA 1638 on 3/14, if anybody wants to check for themselves.
They way I understood sbm12's post is that JN bucket is upgrade space availability from Y->(higher class), as in if you buy a full econ fare (Y) ticket. (no upgrade instrument involved).

There are four different types of upgrade space available in the new United:
  • Miles/Instrument Coach->Biz (R/RN)
  • Top Elite B/M->One cabin higher (PN)
  • All Elite Y->One cabin higher (JN)
  • Miles/Instrument Biz->First (ON)
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jtn
They way I understood sbm12's post is that JN bucket is upgrade space availability from Y->(higher class), as in if you buy a full econ fare (Y) ticket. (no upgrade instrument involved).
Correct. In this particular context "Y" really means "Y" and not anything in economy.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
I have a question about ps flights. It shows JN and PN buckets for these flights but I thought there were no CPUs of any kind on ps. I'm curious if you are on YBM (and plat or above) on ps can you use an instrument to UG from JN or PN inventory versus needing R?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Note that a connecting flight seems to show R[lowest R on any flight] for all flights. For example, I was looking at DEN-ORD-BWI, and the DEN-ORD 772 showed R5, as did the ORD-BWI 320. When checking the individual flights, the 772 showed R9 and the 320 showed R5. United.com did not work that way...it showed the actual availability for each connecting flight.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Yes, it is very nice that UA has moved over to the CO system. Now we see all the fare buckets for the legacy UA fights as well. This is a big improvement over what UA legacy website showed. ^

Only problem is that R=0 for all the international flights I have looked at.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
Thanks for a very helpful post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.