Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Million Miler companion benefit

To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mmack
It seems you no longer need to have the same address: want to nominate a friend to 1K: she travels a lot on UA but not enough to earn 1K status. How do I do this on line?
To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by aacharya
To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Thanks.^
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:50 am

MM Companion - A Second-Class 1K

My wife has my Million Miler companion benefit and she is frequently treated differently from me (when flying on different PNRs). A few examples: she has Global Entry/PRE but whenever she flys on her own PNR she never gets the PRE designation (whenever we are on the same PNR she gets the PRE designation). Also, and more shockingly, she was recently turned away from the LHR United Club and told that as she was a 1K through the companion program she was not entitled to lounge entry (not being one to fight she walked away, but I was shocked).

Has anyone else experienced MM Companion discrimination?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
My brother is my 1K companion and has not experienced any of that. In my estimation, there should be no discrimination.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
There should be zero distinction between a companion 1K (of a MM) and the MM. Did the lounge state that was why, or did your companion state that she was a companion? (They may have misunderstood the concept of a companion).
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
There should be zero distinction between a companion 1K (of a MM) and the MM. Did the lounge state that was why, or did your companion state that she was a companion? (They may have misunderstood the concept of a companion).
My wife flies often. She just went to the lounge like any other trip. The lounge attendant somehow knew she was a companion, stated such, and turned her away.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA840
A few examples: she has Global Entry/PRE but whenever she flys on her own PNR she never gets the PRE designation (whenever we are on the same PNR she gets the PRE designation).
Hmmm, Global Entry is tracked via a separate system unrelated to frequent-flyer numbers. If you're eligible for pre-check via being a Global Entry participant, this should be unrelated to your frequent-flyer number altogether (let alone whether you're a 1K or a companion 1K).

The "traveler profile" you use to book a trip can contain a "trusted traveler number" or can be blank.

I have had it happen that there were a couple of 2-pax flights where I found that I was not getting the pre-check eligibility. When I looked, I eventually, belatedly realized that the version of "me" my wife uses when booking flights did not include my trusted traveler number. I fixed the issue (manually editing my "edit traveler info" on existing trips to include my PASS ID and also editing the version of "me" that united.com saves when she is booking trips that include me as a passenger) and the problem went away.

If you are seeing situations where your wife has a Global Entry "known traveler number" listed in the "edit passenger information" page, but only gets the TSA Pre-Check status when she's booked on a PNR which also includes you, that is super weird and sounds like some kind of profound software error you should escalate. Can you reproduce the problem by making some award bookings and checking out what shows up on the boarding passes?

Also, and more shockingly, she was recently turned away from the LHR United Club and told that as she was a 1K through the companion program she was not entitled to lounge entry (not being one to fight she walked away, but I was shocked).
That seems incorrect — I would follow up with United Customer Relations and ask them to re-train their staff to avoid future dissatisfied customers in the future (or, if this is really a rule, to ask them to publish documentation of this rule on their Web site).

This is likely to be a profitable complaint and it is likely worth your wife's time writing in.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Your wife has a Star Gold card. Does not matter whether she's a companion or not. When she was denied entry at the LHR UC, she should have just gone over to the AC MPL instead.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
there should be no discrimination.
I agree, there should be no difference, but clearly there is.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Is her Trusted Traveler info correctly entered in her profile (GOES # matches her name and whatnot). That system should have nothing to do with status. If it works when she travels with you it might be that the UA.com profile for her when you are logged in is correct but her own, when she books travel for herself, is off.

The lounge story is just bizarre and I sort if doubt that a dragon would be able to see that she is a companion. Don't know what is up with that and I can say from personal experience as a companion, although not at LHR, I have never experienced that.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
I always carry my MM/star alliance card, as does my daughter (my companion), it is just easier when traveling to show it, especially at LHR. Neither one of us ever had a problem traveling together or separately. Once, about ten years ago, I was questioned, since then, I find just carrying my card works all the time. Sorry she was not a little more assertive( of course, politely)
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I'm a 1K due to my husband's MM status and haven't experienced any lesser treatment. I have Global Entry and always get TSA Pre based on this; your wife should as well.

How exactly could lounge staff know how one gained 1K status? There's no way they could know. I wonder if your wife misunderstood what they told her?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
My wife has my Million Miler companion benefit and she is frequently treated differently from me (when flying on different PNRs). A few examples: she has Global Entry/PRE but whenever she flys on her own PNR she never gets the PRE designation (whenever we are on the same PNR she gets the PRE designation). Also, and more shockingly, she was recently turned away from the LHR United Club and told that as she was a 1K through the companion program she was not entitled to lounge entry (not being one to fight she walked away, but I was shocked).

Has anyone else experienced MM Companion discrimination?
You're not clear so let me ask you. You refer to Million Miler and 1k. If you are a Million Miler (with 1 millions) then your wife gets Premier Gold status. If you are a 1k because of your own travel your wife doesn't share your 1k status. Of course if you are a Three Million Miler then your wife gets 1k.

Clarify your status.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You're not clear so let me ask you. You refer to Million Miler and 1k. If you are a Million Miler (with 1 millions) then your wife gets Premier Gold status. If you are a 1k because of your own travel your wife doesn't share your 1k status. Of course if you are a Three Million Miler then your wife gets 1k.

Clarify your status.
False. The companion of the MMer always has the status equal to that of the MMer (unless the companion has earned a higher status independently).

Case in point. I have 1.4MM lifetime miles with UA. I am a lifetime gold. I am also 1K in 2014 having earned at least 100K PQM in 2013.

My companion is a 1K (without the six GPUs).
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If you are a Million Miler (with 1 millions) then your wife gets Premier Gold status.
You are incorrect. One benefit of being a million miler is that you can designate a companion to have the exact same status as you have.

If you are a 1k because of your own travel your wife doesn't share your 1k status.
If you are also a million miler and she's your designee, she sure does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.