FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:56 am
mherdeg

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA840
A few examples: she has Global Entry/PRE but whenever she flys on her own PNR she never gets the PRE designation (whenever we are on the same PNR she gets the PRE designation).
Hmmm, Global Entry is tracked via a separate system unrelated to frequent-flyer numbers. If you're eligible for pre-check via being a Global Entry participant, this should be unrelated to your frequent-flyer number altogether (let alone whether you're a 1K or a companion 1K).

The "traveler profile" you use to book a trip can contain a "trusted traveler number" or can be blank.

I have had it happen that there were a couple of 2-pax flights where I found that I was not getting the pre-check eligibility. When I looked, I eventually, belatedly realized that the version of "me" my wife uses when booking flights did not include my trusted traveler number. I fixed the issue (manually editing my "edit traveler info" on existing trips to include my PASS ID and also editing the version of "me" that united.com saves when she is booking trips that include me as a passenger) and the problem went away.

If you are seeing situations where your wife has a Global Entry "known traveler number" listed in the "edit passenger information" page, but only gets the TSA Pre-Check status when she's booked on a PNR which also includes you, that is super weird and sounds like some kind of profound software error you should escalate. Can you reproduce the problem by making some award bookings and checking out what shows up on the boarding passes?

Originally Posted by UA840
Also, and more shockingly, she was recently turned away from the LHR United Club and told that as she was a 1K through the companion program she was not entitled to lounge entry (not being one to fight she walked away, but I was shocked).
That seems incorrect — I would follow up with United Customer Relations and ask them to re-train their staff to avoid future dissatisfied customers in the future (or, if this is really a rule, to ask them to publish documentation of this rule on their Web site).

This is likely to be a profitable complaint and it is likely worth your wife's time writing in.