Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 2:49 pm

Is it correct that these flights must be paid in cash and not bought with miles to qualify for the free upgrade?
Old May 19, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by cheesedawg
Is it correct that these flights must be paid in cash and not bought with miles to qualify for the free upgrade?
Yes, that is correct. But unlike many other airlines, any revenue fare basis is eligible on TK.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: TK*G, SK*S, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I flew IST-DEL on the new 777-300ER some weeks ago and to my big surprise I was able to call in before and get my flight upgraded. All considered I had a great flight!

The only problem was that the call center accidentally deducted two vouchers to upgrade this single flight (no other segments in the booking were upgraded). I got two confirmation e-mails for the same flight and then I later called back to upgrade another flight they insisted that I already used up my vouchers. Since then, my membership year has expired so it does not really matter but just as a word of caution, be careful so you do not lose both your vouchers on the same segment as there seems to be some kind of computer glitch that allows this to happen...
Old May 21, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by ErasmusEBS
The only problem was that the call center accidentally deducted two vouchers to upgrade this single flight (no other segments in the booking were upgraded). I got two confirmation e-mails for the same flight and then I later called back to upgrade another flight they insisted that I already used up my vouchers. ...
The same reason I always advise against upgrading over the phone unless this is ABSOLUTELY your only option. If you don't live in one of the cities with ticket agents, go to TK's ticket office/desk whenever you're travelling.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:23 pm

Just when I thought I was all sorted with my upgrade vouchers, here comes the next twist:

I will likely have to change one of my upgraded segments to a different date. J class is no longer available on that particular date.

I am fine flying in Economy (or paying the difference to a prevailing Business Class fare since it's now a work trip), but I wonder if in this case my upgrade credit is being re-deposited so that I can use it again? I'm still well within my membership year.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:09 am

Is there such thing as J ticket out of JFK during weekends? I am looking at redeeming vouchers and there's absolutely nothing in J fare buckets, even with flights 3 and 4, and even 9 months ahead. Luckily BOS, ORD, and IAD are still plentiful.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
Is there such thing as J ticket out of JFK during weekends? I am looking at redeeming vouchers and there's absolutely nothing in J fare buckets, even with flights 3 and 4, and even 9 months ahead. Luckily BOS, ORD, and IAD are still plentiful.
Availability for JFK is more and for LAX most worse
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Take next Saturday as an example:

Jun20 TK4 C4 D4 K6 J4 I0 R0
Jun20 TK2 C4 D4 K5 J3 I0 R0
Jun20 TK12 C4 D4 K5 J3 I0 R0

So there is availability, just not in I or R. Voucher upgrades should book into J?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by duvin
Take next Saturday as an example:

Jun20 TK4 C4 D4 K6 J4 I0 R0
Jun20 TK2 C4 D4 K5 J3 I0 R0
Jun20 TK12 C4 D4 K5 J3 I0 R0

So there is availability, just not in I or R. Voucher upgrades should book into J?
You're using ExpertFlyer.com to find seat inventories I presume? Correct, J is the class needed upgrading by using miles or vouchers. TK can obviously release more J seats any time, it's usually 4 - 8 months window period when they will zero out J seats during prime time.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:59 am

Another successful attempt

Another twist, went to ORD and to my surprise, the ticket officer said they can not complete the upgrade process (????), so I followed airoli's advice below. I am going to stop by TK's Chicago office regardless just to follow up and also check if they're able to upgrade there.

In US use this number 1-800-874-8875, dial 1 for Elite/Elite+ members and it looks like the service is a lot better than all others I have experienced before. I also did mock booking of 6 people in business class and made sure all segments were listed J before the payment process (but closed the window).

Regarding the ability and how long you can HOLD the reservation likely depends on how many seats in the fare buckets you chose are left. I did hold 1 ticket earlier (unrelated to the above redeemed ticket) that allowed me to hold for 1 month (from OSL), once I decide to change the departure date and it's no longer allowing me hold at all. I did mock booking of 2 persons and it turned out it was the last seat in the fare bucket, obviously booked the ticket immediately.

Originally Posted by airoli
As vincewy mentioned, not all origins seem to allow "hold" reservations on the TK website. YUL for one does not.

Here's my experience in redeeming my vouchers - a reasonably straightforward experience:
  • Checked on TK website if my complete O&D itinerary is available in both Economy and J class (by searching for Business and checking if it books into J)
  • Called TK Elite+ line in Turkey to confirm voucher upgrade availability on chosen flights. Hotline said 1 voucher = 1 flight segment upgrade, not 1 direction incl. connection.
  • Booked Economy class flights on TK website
  • Called TK Elite+ line in Turkey again, provided booking reference, asked for voucher upgrades.
  • 30min on the phone, including keying in my membership number and PIN to validate.
  • 2 long-haul segments upgraded to J, 2 intra-Europe segments remain in Y.
All in, a bit cumbersome but not too bad. And kudos to TK for allowing upgrades off even the lowest Economy fares without any co-pay (or miles!). ^
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Another twist, went to ORD and to my surprise, the ticket officer said they can not complete the upgrade process (????), so I followed airoli's advice below. I am going to stop by TK's Chicago office regardless just to follow up and also check if they're able to upgrade there.

In US use this number 1-800-874-8875, dial 1 for Elite/Elite+ members and it looks like the service is a lot better than all others I have experienced before. I also did mock booking of 6 people in business class and made sure all segments were listed J before the payment process (but closed the window).

Regarding the ability and how long you can HOLD the reservation likely depends on how many seats in the fare buckets you chose are left. I did hold 1 ticket earlier (unrelated to the above redeemed ticket) that allowed me to hold for 1 month (from OSL), once I decide to change the departure date and it's no longer allowing me hold at all. I did mock booking of 2 persons and it turned out it was the last seat in the fare bucket, obviously booked the ticket immediately.
Did you succeed? It sounded like you didn't.

As vincewy mentioned, not all origins seem to allow "hold" reservations on the TK website. YUL for one does not.

Here's my experience in redeeming my vouchers - a reasonably straightforward experience:
  • Checked on TK website if my complete O&D itinerary is available in both Economy and J class (by searching for Business and checking if it books into J)
  • Called TK Elite+ line in Turkey to confirm voucher upgrade availability on chosen flights. Hotline said 1 voucher = 1 flight segment upgrade, not 1 direction incl. connection.
  • Booked Economy class flights on TK website
  • Called TK Elite+ line in Turkey again, provided booking reference, asked for voucher upgrades.
  • 30min on the phone, including keying in my membership number and PIN to validate.
  • 2 long-haul segments upgraded to J, 2 intra-Europe segments remain in Y.
All in, a bit cumbersome but not too bad. And kudos to TK for allowing upgrades off even the lowest Economy fares without any co-pay (or miles!). ^
I also wanted to clarify this. Is the voucher valid on a segment or journey?

e.g. If I fly BKK-IST-SFO and SFO-IST-BKK, do I need 2 or 4 voucher?

Other threads I read I was given the impression it is valid on the journey.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Jun 14, 2015 at 4:42 am
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
I also wanted to clarify this. Is the voucher valid on a segment or journey?

e.g. If I fly BKK-IST-SFO and SFO-IST-BKK, do I need 2 or 4 voucher?
There is conflicting evidence on this. The TK agents I spoke to were firm in saying that 1 voucher = 1 segment, so in your example above you'd need 4 vouchers.

However, others (on this board and friends of mine) have succeeded in getting 1 direction per voucher, i.e. BKK-IST-SFO = 1 and SFO-IST-BKK = 1.

Clearly, some TK agents were mistaken. But if the right rules are the tighter or the more generous ones, nobody knows.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:21 am

There is conflicting evidence on this. The TK agents I spoke to were firm in saying that 1 voucher = 1 segment, so in your example above you'd need 4 vouchers.

However, others (on this board and friends of mine) have succeeded in getting 1 direction per voucher, i.e. BKK-IST-SFO = 1 and SFO-IST-BKK = 1.

Clearly, some TK agents were mistaken. But if the right rules are the tighter or the more generous ones, nobody knows.
Thanks for letting me know!

I wish this was more clear cut, but I guess some are making out better than others with this ruling.

PS: airoli, sometimes it pays to hang up and try again. TK agents sound like a box of chocolates.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
TK agents sound like a box of chocolates.
Turkish Delight, you mean.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:57 am

Turkish Delight, you mean.
Don't know the saying with Turkish Delights.

Care to enlighten me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.