Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:44 pm

Experience upgrading

Like many people posted here is a matter of luck, depends one the knowledge of the rep. After calling 6 times for about 2 hours I was able to get a full upgrade one GRU- IST -ICN and return ussing only 2 vouchers. There was no place at begining, that somethung else was wrong, the line went down, etc. It was hard work and costy calling from Brazil, since I had to reissue my previous ticket because there was not mentioned one of my seccondary names. I was almost giving up when I got a experienced rep and all was ready in 10 minutes, at same time the booking class changed to J in the previous reservation.

Im wondering if miles will be credited accordingly to the original booking class or what they consider one such cases? One webpage it mentions only economy class miles!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Originally Posted by Regis_BR
Im wondering if miles will be credited accordingly to the original booking class or what they consider one such cases? One webpage it mentions only economy class miles!
Regis_BR, welcome to FT.

You only get the miles earn on the booking class you originally booked.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Have anybody managed to upgrade a 3rd party using these vouchers? Or are they still just for the card holder.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
E+ upgrade vouchers only work for the owner of that E+ account him/herself.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Originally Posted by LH4116
Have anybody managed to upgrade a 3rd party using these vouchers? Or are they still just for the card holder.
Still just card holder eligible to use this voucher.
But, I tried to upgrade with my lap-infant daughter who were on the same ticket with me, succeeded without problem.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: TK E+
My experience upgrading today

This morning I noticed 1 available seat in J on my upcoming flight SGN-BKK-IST-OSL, so I rushed to my local TK ticketing office to get the upgrade, which they usually handles swiftly. However, today everyone was "on vacation", and the office was staffed by a girl that didn't know what Elite Plus was and she have never heard of the upgrade vouchers. However, she could see on her computer that I had "no vouchers left".

Anyway, due to my horrible experience with the TK call center, I have not used that method for several years, but I gave it a try today. I came to an agent that spoke well English and he was very polite as well. I had to confirm my email address, office address, M&S number, credit card number, enter my pin code and spell my name around 16 times, but after roughly 30 min. on the phone, the entire trip was upgraded and an email confirmation received. All in all not too bad, given that this is TK.

Downside is that I have to use 2 vouchers for the upgrade, while I usually manage with only 1, when I upgrade through my local ticket office.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
In the past I've always had agents tell me that I had to use 2 vouchers for say HKG-IST-MAD that I did several times in the past but seems I came up trumps recently with a booking I made the other day.

The interesting thing is that the agent seems to have little control over whether it's one or two vouchers, it's about putting in one for redemption and seeing if the system will accept it.

In my case I booked LAX-IST-LHR with a 20 hour stopover in IST and the agent asked me if I wanted to use "one or two vouchers" which I thought was an odd question.

I said one if the system will take it and he was unsure due to the stopover but in the end it was fine and I only had to redeem one voucher.

Guess this really is a YMMV situation redeeming these
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:10 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aulrik
This morning I noticed 1 available seat in J on my upcoming flight SGN-BKK-IST-OSL, so I rushed to my local TK ticketing office to get the upgrade, which they usually handles swiftly. However, today everyone was "on vacation", and the office was staffed by a girl that didn't know what Elite Plus was and she have never heard of the upgrade vouchers. However, she could see on her computer that I had "no vouchers left".

Anyway, due to my horrible experience with the TK call center, I have not used that method for several years, but I gave it a try today. I came to an agent that spoke well English and he was very polite as well. I had to confirm my email address, office address, M&S number, credit card number, enter my pin code and spell my name around 16 times, but after roughly 30 min. on the phone, the entire trip was upgraded and an email confirmation received. All in all not too bad, given that this is TK.

Downside is that I have to use 2 vouchers for the upgrade, while I usually manage with only 1, when I upgrade through my local ticket office.
Other option would have been to take the risk and waited till check-in and have one of the usual TK staff check you in. I'd imagine that like in SIN they are on a rotation airport duty and you would have bumped into a familiar face at the airport.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Thumbs up Great success

Polite and knowledgeable THY agent upgraded my 4 segment flight RIX-IST-EZE-IST-RIX with 2 vouchers in less than 15 minutes. That's gonna be a very pleasant MR booked in Y+O, rebooked to J
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus; UA Gold Elite; Marriott Platinum Elite
I recently had a good experience upgrading with my vouchers. I had a good English-speaking rep who took only about 15 minutes to upgrade my LAX-IST-CDG flight with one voucher each way. Also pleasantly surprised to have upgradeable seats available on the LAX flights, which I've found to be very limited in the past.

However, before we all get excited, I called the next day to get my wife upgraded with miles, and after an hour on the phone, finally completed everything, but it was like pulling teeth to get through each step.

I called the Elite line at the THY Call Center both times, but the first time (when everything went well), I called during Istanbul day hours, and the second, not-so-good time, I called during midnight hours. So I'm wondering if the "good" reps are working during the day, and the marginal reps have the graveyard shifts.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles Elite Plus
Maybe at night they use the India center
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:16 pm

Actually, both reps were Indian. I don't think the India call center makes too much sense from a time point of view, since the time zones between Istanbul and India aren't off by much. They may still be using an India call center, but even there, their graveyard shift may be the newbies.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by dabee69
Polite and knowledgeable THY agent upgraded my 4 segment flight RIX-IST-EZE-IST-RIX with 2 vouchers in less than 15 minutes. That's gonna be a very pleasant MR booked in Y+O, rebooked to J
But you get Y mileage

Originally Posted by smellme
Maybe at night they use the India center
I really really hate dealing with the Indian call center. Really hate a lot. They seem to have no flexibility and often have no idea what they're talking about (eg claiming that my status miles became "expired" while miles earned prior to the flight in question had not).
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by cheesedawg
But you get Y mileage

I really really hate dealing with the Indian call center. Really hate a lot. They seem to have no flexibility and often have no idea what they're talking about (eg claiming that my status miles became "expired" while miles earned prior to the flight in question had not).
I've had the same bad experience, but not when I call late at night my time (LAX), which is day time there. That's why I'm wondering if it may be better to call during their "day" hours to get better phone reps.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by cheesedawg
But you get Y mileage
Y shorthaul and O (high comfort) longhaul.
O earns the same as J plus Elite bonus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.