Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by uxb
Can anyone tell me what's the deal with US TDCs? Are they no longer required returning to the US from Canada by air? During my last two crossings at YUL, my TDC was returned to me. I realise they don't have those crappy new machines (like at YYZ) yet, but I was just wondering what's the deal going forward.
I'm confused by your post.. You mention TDC, which is a declaration card when entering Canada (By land, if I'm not mistaken). You also mention the "crappy new machines", which I can only assume you mean the newer NEXUS kiosks, but again this is only used when entering Canada.

It also seems like you may be talking about the blue form most travelers to the US have to fill in. In which case, if you're using a Global Entry kiosk then no, you don't need to fill one in.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:41 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by xero9
I'm confused by your post.. You mention TDC, which is a declaration card when entering Canada (By land, if I'm not mistaken). You also mention the "crappy new machines", which I can only assume you mean the newer NEXUS kiosks, but again this is only used when entering Canada.

It also seems like you may be talking about the blue form most travelers to the US have to fill in. In which case, if you're using a Global Entry kiosk then no, you don't need to fill one in.
I use TDC to refer to both US and Canada cards. Customs Declaration Card (or CDC) is the same acronym as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the US.

And, no, there are/were crappy new machines at YYZ when you cross back into the US that are not GE kiosks, but don't look like the traditional NEXUS kiosks either.

In any case, I believe I used a NEXUS machine and not a GE machine at YUL, but still did not have to turn in a TDC.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by uxb
I use TDC to refer to both US and Canada cards. Customs Declaration Card (or CDC) is the same acronym as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the US.

And, no, there are/were crappy new machines at YYZ when you cross back into the US that are not GE kiosks, but don't look like the traditional NEXUS kiosks either.

In any case, I believe I used a NEXUS machine and not a GE machine at YUL, but still did not have to turn in a TDC.
Stop using TDC. It's not the appropriate acronym in this case and only serves to confuse the matter. See Kiraly's reply to see what TDC means.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:16 am

A Canadian TDC (Traveller's Declaration Card) for Nexus cardholders is completely different from the customs declaration card for regular entry into Canada. It's a declaration of goods purchased for tax and duty entering Canada by land (kinda like a Purchase Order). It used to be used for all Nexus crossings before moving to verbal declarations, and looks like this:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...s/e601-eng.pdf

Compared to the Canadian regular customs declaration form:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...s/e311-eng.pdf

For what's it's worth, the US CBP calls it Customs Declaration FORM 6059B

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...claration-form
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, AC 25K
Problem using Nexus

Hello,

My wife and I are new Canadian nexus card users. Both of us applied, received our acceptance letter, and have done interview, eye scan and finger printing.

We used our cards at YYZ preclearnce. I got through with no issues. My wife was flagged for secondary screening. Seems she had a shoplifting charge when she visited the U.S. over 36 years ago. Paid a fine and thought that was that.

So....shouldn't this have been caught in the initial screening for the nexus and denied acceptance then? And with nexus tied to her passport will she always be flagged from now on? Will she have the same issues on return to Canada?

She has never had a problem in the past going the regular border clearance route. We are hoping she at least can go back to that with no hassles.

Any thoughts, suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification, which enables their use at SENTRI and NEXUS expedited travel lanes entering the U.S. Global Entry cards are not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks.

I would like to use the NEXUS lane to enter Canada. NEXUS just seems like a mini-Global Entry program. Does CBP waive the NEXUS application fee for Global Entry members?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Totoro
Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification, which enables their use at SENTRI and NEXUS expedited travel lanes entering the U.S. Global Entry cards are not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks.

I would like to use the NEXUS lane to enter Canada. NEXUS just seems like a mini-Global Entry program. Does CBP waive the NEXUS application fee for Global Entry members?
No

One should do the opposite, apply for NEXUS ($50 for both NEXUS AND Global Entry) instead of just GE, but one has to visit a Canadian airport/border to do the interview though, that's usually the issue
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
NEXUS has all the benefits of GlobalEntry plus other benefits (being able to use it to enter Canada), so if anything, GE is a mini-NEXUS.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by airswim
Hello,

My wife and I are new Canadian nexus card users. Both of us applied, received our acceptance letter, and have done interview, eye scan and finger printing.

We used our cards at YYZ preclearnce. I got through with no issues. My wife was flagged for secondary screening. Seems she had a shoplifting charge when she visited the U.S. over 36 years ago. Paid a fine and thought that was that.

Thank you.
They would have seen it during the Nexus screening, but may have decided it wasn't enough to prevent you entering the program; can't say for sure. Very specific individual questions like this are quite difficult to answer with any certainty.

I was sent to secondary once very shortly after getting my Nexus card (I believe it was the first time in an airport as well). In my case it was a cursory can I see in your bag OK thanks . . .

So I would suggest you see what happens next time. My suspicion is there won't be any more trips to secondary for a while.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Nexus is a joint US-Canada trusted traveler program. global entry is a U.S.-only, CBP initiative. The U.S.-side of Nexus is basically the same as GE - the background check is the same on the U.S. Side, and both use GoES for application. nexus requires you to clear the background check, etc. process of both US and Canada, and requires you to complete an interview at a Nexus office where both US and Canadian authorities are there to approve.

Nexus fee isn't waived for GE members - in fact, it is the opposite so to speak - Nexus members receive GE privileges at no extra cost. So better to apply for Nexus first. If you do apply, I'd suggest asking the U.S. agent who to handle he two memberships - but hopefully there would be a way to drop your GE so to speak in favor to keep Nexus (once approved) so that your GE is in sync with the Nexus membership and you'd only have to do the one renewal.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 pm

Business travel - laptop

Hello,

I've attempted to go through all 615 pages, but couldn't get through it all. From how I read the CBSA website, if I'm travelling with a company laptop, that is a commercial good and I should go through the regular line both going into the US and returning to Canada instead of using my NEXUS card. Do I have that correct?

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:38 am

Wondering whether anyone else has had a similar experience …

My family arrived back in Canada at YYZ T3 earlier this month. This is our first time using our cards at a kiosk coming into Canada. We all had iris scans done as part of our approval interviews. I was the first to approach a kiosk. It took several times for me to figure out where to look for the iris scan, and in the end, I was denied use of the kiosk (it said something about me being an unauthorized user). We were all tired after traveling so instead of having someone else try the kiosk, we all moved to the regular lines and got through using our passports. Unfortunately, we picked the lines with machines, so there wasn't an agent for us to talk to about what happened to me.

I'm wondering whether I need to go into the office to find out why I was considered an unauthorized user of my Nexus card, or whether I should assume it was just a fussy kiosk machine. I wear rigid gas permeable contact lenses, and I wonder if those might have interfered with the iris scan. No one else was using the Nexus kiosks when we arrived, and we didn't see anyone around to help at the time. We far more often cross the border by car than by plane, so it's likely that if there is something wrong, it will be picked up on our next car trip, but who knows.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by 3pointthreat
Hello,

I've attempted to go through all 615 pages, but couldn't get through it all. From how I read the CBSA website, if I'm travelling with a company laptop, that is a commercial good and I should go through the regular line both going into the US and returning to Canada instead of using my NEXUS card. Do I have that correct?

Thanks!
According to http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...eng.html#a04_1

Commercial goods are defined as goods brought into Canada or the U.S. for sale or for any commercial, industrial, occupational, institutional or other similar use, and include samples, tools and warranty repair parts.

Personal computers and similar items carried by NEXUS members for their own personal use while on business trips are not considered commercial goods. If you have any commercial goods in your possession or baggage or on board the vehicle/recreational boat upon your arrival in Canada or the U.S., you may not use NEXUS in the air, land or marine modes of transportation.
While it does say "their own personal use", I kind of interpret that as for business use as well, seeing as it's being used by you personally (and not for sale).

That is how I would take it anyway. You may feel differently.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: AC*P25K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 3pointthreat
Hello,

Thanks!
When I went for the interview a few years ago, the CBSA agent told me that the only exceptions to the commercial goods restriction were a work computer (plus peripherals, such as a power cord and mouse) and light paperwork (e.g. business cards or a few printouts). However, I have not seen that officially published online anywhere.

Since joining Nexus, I have been referred to secondary twice when entering the US. I declared my work computer both times, and neither CBP officer cared. YMMV.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by encinc
I'm wondering whether I need to go into the office to find out why I was considered an unauthorized user of my Nexus card, or whether I should assume it was just a fussy kiosk machine.
Probably the latter. The machines seem to give you an unauthorized user error after either enough failed attempts or an attempt that just barely caught the image but not well enough to match. I had a similar experience the first time I used one of the new machines at YYC, but after I got the error on that kiosk, I tried the next machine over and had no problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.