Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:06 am

I've been "randomly selected" with that long beep five times in a row. Is this just bad luck or something I'm doing (a little bit of metal on my belt). I've never been asked to try again or anything.

Today the guy even insisted on taking my wallet from me and running it through the machine on its own.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:18 pm

TSA pre at TPA today....

Went through WTMD, beeps. They said I was randomly selected but I knew it was due my belt(bit of metal on the buckle). I went through the nude o scope and it picked up my belt. They show me the spot, i showed them my belt, quick pat down of the spot and I was on my way. My co-worker was still at the end of the normal line at this point. Not a huge pain in the ....
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by CDKing
I got my armpit felt up
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I had a very cursory check of my belt, wallet in back pocket, and necklace (actually earbuds hanging around my neck). FAR less invasive than previous pat downs.
But that's after going through NOS, right? What if you just decide to skip the NOS since you're going to get frisked anyways?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
But that's after going through NOS, right? What if you just decide to skip the NOS since you're going to get frisked anyways?
Yes and that's why i plan on opting out again like before Pre came along
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
My one experience to date with opting out of the NOS in PreCheck was that I got a minimally invasive patdown, with no hands in waistband or karate chop to the groin.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
I discovered this change the other day flying out of SFO. I got the long beep a moment after going through the WTMD. The guy directed me out and then through the NOS; I thought he just wanted me to walk through it over to where he'd give me a hand swab. When he told me to stand on the yellow shoe marks, it took me a moment to realize what was going on, then I was like, "huh? Oh, sorry, I'm not going through this thing. That's why I pay for PreCheck." I asked what happened to the hand swab; he said this was new. He didn't seem to be too happy about it.

Anyway, I got the minimally-invasive pat-down, similar to what others seem to have experienced, but was annoyed that I had to deal with that again. I also had to take my shoes and belt off and put them through the X-ray. I'd forgotten some stuff in my back pocket, and when I realized it was there I handed it to the guy. He just looked at it for a second, then tossed it in the bin with my other stuff.

Overall, I'm obviously annoyed with the change. Isn't the whole point of PreCheck to avoid this nonsense? Isn't the whole point of not always getting PreCheck to occasionally put you through the normal song & dance? Does anyone anywhere in the TSA really have a clue what they're doing?

Never mind on that last question; I'm not even sure why I bothered to type it out.

-OM
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ottermatic
Does anyone anywhere in the TSA really have a clue what they're doing?
Bureaucrats can't resist tinkering with success until it becomes failure.
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ottermatic
I discovered this change the other day flying out of SFO. I got the long beep a moment after going through the WTMD. The guy directed me out and then through the NOS; I thought he just wanted me to walk through it over to where he'd give me a hand swab. When he told me to stand on the yellow shoe marks, it took me a moment to realize what was going on, then I was like, "huh? Oh, sorry, I'm not going through this thing. That's why I pay for PreCheck." I asked what happened to the hand swab; he said this was new. He didn't seem to be too happy about it.

Anyway, I got the minimally-invasive pat-down, similar to what others seem to have experienced, but was annoyed that I had to deal with that again. I also had to take my shoes and belt off and put them through the X-ray. I'd forgotten some stuff in my back pocket, and when I realized it was there I handed it to the guy. He just looked at it for a second, then tossed it in the bin with my other stuff.

Overall, I'm obviously annoyed with the change. Isn't the whole point of PreCheck to avoid this nonsense? Isn't the whole point of not always getting PreCheck to occasionally put you through the normal song & dance? Does anyone anywhere in the TSA really have a clue what they're doing?

Never mind on that last question; I'm not even sure why I bothered to type it out.

-OM

Those long beeps are happening a lot now. I got four or five in a row over the last few weeks. Absurd and unnecessary.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:43 pm

1. Does anyone have any guess for what the odds are of receiving a long beep at a pre-check WTMD? I am also wondering whether the odds may be different at different airports.

2. Is receiving a long beep a function of time or is it a function of the number of people who go through the WTMD?

3. Is the pat-down for opting out after receiving a long beep more cursory than a regular opt out pat-down? Is one required to take one's shoes and/or belt off for this?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I got randomed at DFW a few weeks ago and had hands swabbed. Based on this thread, I'm assuming it is because someone was in the NOS at the time. Problem was that the clerk doing the swab, who was also working the exit of the NOS, grabbed and swabbed my hands before I could demand a glove and swab change. ETD alarmed. From a dirty swab, or perhaps the gas I had recently put in the rental, I don't know, but they told me I'd require a pat down. I got really pissed at the 2 striper, who was an absolute jerk, but the 3 striper was a decent guy. At first, it seemed they were going to take me to the private room and do that hand's forward swab, but apparently Pre Check means you still just get a the Pre Check pat down. That went clean, and they swabbed my bags and I was off.

Absolute ridiculousness.

Originally Posted by BSBD
Yes. If you alarm the WTMD you are now not given another chance to go through it - it's an immediate shuffle to the AIT scanner. Plus, the random beep now means you'll likely get the scanner instead of a hand swab.

Don't know about "no more," but they do seem to be reduced at the airports I've been through recently.
That is incorrect. If you alarm the WTMD, you do get to go through again with shoes off and belt off. Then its NOS or Pat Down time.

Yeah, they initially implemented the AIT shuffle at a couple of airports, including JFK. now it's rolled out as SOP.

Most of the time it's fast. I was held up about 10 minutes at LGA for a hand swab due to the random beep. The TSA people were engrossed in shouting at a randomly included passenger who turned out to have a whole suitcase full of water bottles, so they were too busy to attend to anything else.

The overall utility of PreCheck has been on a downward slide since the beginning of this year. Bureaucrats can't resist tinkering with success until it becomes failure.
PreCheck random to NOS or Pat Down is at most airports, but not all. LAX T4, for example, doesn't have a NOS in the PreCheck/Elite area anymore. I don't think LAX T7 has had an NOS since they switched to MMWs, due to the low ceilings. I also got randomed at DFW and was given a swab (see above), instead of a choice of NOS or pat down.

Originally Posted by exerda
Ugh. And I saw this yesterday at BOS; lady went through after being admonished not to remove her shoes, alarmed, and they sent her over to the nude-o-scan because of the shoes alarming. (The WTMD agent even said, "Her shoes alarmed.")

I wondered what the deal was... now I know.

I hope that the "RANDOM" alarms still mean just a hand swab? As I get those fairly regularly. I'm used to walking through, no beep, and about a second later, the WTMD beeps and they do the hand swab.

This as locations roll out new & improved ETD swab machines to boot! (Wonder who and how much profited from that?!)

I have been yelled at for having a dime in my pocket. I've been patted down for a necklace and a watch. I've also been fussed at by the TSA for having a contact lens case in my pocket.

Also, I'm not exactly thrilled to be able to have my wallet at the WTMD, then be sent to the nude-o-scope and required to remove my wallet. I'm separated from my carry-ons, and now my wallet. Not good.
Randoms mean NOS or pat down, unless you are somewhere that they swab at.

Originally Posted by Mats
Yes, crew members are exempt from random alarms.

I was subject to the hand swabbing because there were random alarms but crew members set them off. So they had to attend to the random with the first available non-crew member.
I was subject to a pat down, cause I sure wasn't going through the NOS, at SMF thanks to an alleged random alarm on a crew member. One I never heard and still am not sure ever happened.

I have seen a significant increase in "random" WTMD alarms recently, with the selectee steered to the AIT scanner. When it happened to me this week, I refused the machine and got a patdown. No genital grope or karate chop though, and they didn't search my bags even though they said they were going to.
Yeah, the pat down is less under Pre Check than it is under the old setup. Even when you alarm the ETD.

Originally Posted by amw3000
TSA pre at TPA today....

Went through WTMD, beeps. They said I was randomly selected but I knew it was due my belt(bit of metal on the buckle). I went through the nude o scope and it picked up my belt. They show me the spot, i showed them my belt, quick pat down of the spot and I was on my way. My co-worker was still at the end of the normal line at this point. Not a huge pain in the ....
Why did you go through the NOS?

Originally Posted by guflyer
1. Does anyone have any guess for what the odds are of receiving a long beep at a pre-check WTMD? I am also wondering whether the odds may be different at different airports.

2. Is receiving a long beep a function of time or is it a function of the number of people who go through the WTMD?

3. Is the pat-down for opting out after receiving a long beep more cursory than a regular opt out pat-down? Is one required to take one's shoes and/or belt off for this?
1. Don't know. Seems to be different at different times. I've heard some of the TSA people moaning that it goes off way too often from time to time, which creates backlogs for them. Apparently, more people who have Pre Check opt-out than the general public.

2. Don't know that either. I think it is based on the number of people, but I also think there is some timing involved. That said, I do think it is set up to random a certain number of people over a certain period of time (say, 12 hours) and will sometimes cluster them.

3. While it seems others have had other experiences, my experience has been that the pat down is less invasive, but does require removal of shoes and belt.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Two flights in the last couple weeks, both got "random" beep. Explained to both about shoulder injury. At ORD was taken right away for a hand swab. At LAS it took a little back-and-forth but in the end it was the hand swab (started as "well, we'll just pat down your arm after the scan" to which I replied "I don't see how touching only the part of me that's injured does me any good"). All was fairly courteous and non-confrontational.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
TSA PreCheck randomly sending WTMD pax through AIT?

A couple days ago, in the PreCheck line in JAX, as a trusted traveler, I received a short beep after going through a WTMD (which means random selection for extra screening; it's not an indicator of metal). I expected a swab of my hands, as happens from time to time, but the TSO insisted that I go through an AIT scanner.

I've gone through the PreCheck line hundreds of times, as have many of my colleagues, and neither I nor anyone I asked can recall being asked to enter an AIT scanner in a PreCheck lane *unless* we set off the WTMD.

Is this a new policy or just an aberration?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:21 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
The Beep of Selection happened to me in TUL last month and they pointed me to the scanner; as is my policy, I opted out and took the Freedom Frisk instead.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by CKDGM
The Beep of Selection happened to me in TUL last month and they pointed me to the scanner; as is my policy, I opted out and took the Freedom Frisk instead.
Same happened to me in HNL last month. I have a disability but they still wanted me to go through the scanner. This, after giving me a wooden cane to replace my metal on to go through the WTMD. Once it got through to them that I couldn't do it, go the FF (Freedom Frisk as CKDGM so eloquently put it).
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jbsay

Is this a new policy or just an aberration?
Neither. The "random" alarm (now called the "quota" alarm) that signals you've been selected for additional screening is a standard TSA policy that has been in place for over a year now. There have been quite a few discussions on FT about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.