Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:07 am

If one learns that one does not qualify for pre-check, is it still possible to use a different security lane? For example, there are some airports at which a passenger rejected from pre-check is sent to a NOS, while there is another lane in another terminal (with the secure areas of the terminals connected beyond security) where one has a decent chance of using a lane with a metal detector. The concern is that once one learns that one does not get the pre-check beeps, he or she might not have the ability to use the other terminal's security.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 3:00 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
At DFW, the TSA three-striper told me that if you got cleared to use PreCheck 30% of the time, you were doing well.
Keep in mind that these guys simply make things up half the time, whether about their own agency's SOP or something like PreCheck.

I commuted from PDX to DFW for eight weeks for a project, and got to use PreCheck every time in both airports.

My overall success rate is in the 80-90% range.

To me it sounds like success rates vary widely for some reason.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Sydneysider
Keep in mind that these guys simply make things up half the time, whether about their own agency's SOP or something like PreCheck.

I commuted from PDX to DFW for eight weeks for a project, and got to use PreCheck every time in both airports.

My overall success rate is in the 80-90% range.

To me it sounds like success rates vary widely for some reason.
Bolding mine: Oh, I would say it's much much more than half the time
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Have GE, KTN, FF #, Get PreCheck, 50% Random Screening

After a very nice period of getting PreCheck due to my GE-enabled KTN and having FF status with two airlines, all of a sudden, 50% of the time when I go through the Precheck line's WTMD, it beeps and a TSA officer says "Random Check," and directs me to a hand swab. After it shows that I am not associated with explosives, they send me on my way.

What gives? Why all of a sudden does "random" = 50%?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
"50%" equals how many occasions? That's the crucial piece of information. ;-)

"50% of the time" can be anything from zero to infinity...
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
On 3 of my last 6 flights. Admittedly, not a large sample size, but quite noticeable when the previous 60-something flights were 0 for 60. I guess one could say that "on average," it was not 50% but 5%.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Random hand swab meter has been turned way up even before Pre began. Id rather that be the random security measure vs being sent to the standard screening line.

Its not tied to ones trusted traveler status
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:58 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Random related to a sample of (say) 10 is not too meaningful--1000 would be a better base.
If you buy a Zurich card, one of the (free) perks is visiting the flight deck. You have to pass through an "airport security" system...I'm nearly always selected for extra security, the explanation is "random check"--I've visited the FD 6 times in the last 3 years.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I got the "random" beep earlier this week for the first time. No wanding but an unappreciated trip through the nude-o-scope.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TT-Jones
"50% of the time" can be anything from zero to infinity...
It can't be zero or infinity, but could be anything in between.

Originally Posted by milepig
I got the "random" beep earlier this week for the first time. No wanding but an unappreciated trip through the nude-o-scope.
Yes, that now seems to be the norm. I got the long beep at ORD a couple weeks ago and said, "Darn, hand swab!" and the screener said they actually stopped doing that and are making people go through the L3 MMW unit. I asked if I could opt out and she said that would result in full pat down and swab. I went through the MMW. A couple of things showed up (wallet and earbuds around my neck) and they did a VERY cursory patdown.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Oct 2, 2014 at 3:46 pm
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by gobluetwo

Yes, that now seems to be the norm. I got the long beep at ORD a couple weeks ago and said, "Darn, hand swab!" and the screener said they actually stopped doing that and are making people go through the L3 MMW unit.
When this happens, do you still go through the MMW with shoes/light outerwear/etc. on, or is it back to the regular screening process? The reason I ask is because I prepare differently knowing whether or not Precheck is on my boarding pass. I don't bother to have my LGAs accessible, belt off, and other things, but it sounds like it's now impossible to prepare appropriately if you end up getting sent to the regular lanes.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: AAirpass (no status), IHG Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Majuki
When this happens, do you still go through the MMW with shoes/light outerwear/etc. on, or is it back to the regular screening process? The reason I ask is because I prepare differently knowing whether or not Precheck is on my boarding pass. I don't bother to have my LGAs accessible, belt off, and other things, but it sounds like it's now impossible to prepare appropriately if you end up getting sent to the regular lanes.
From what the poster said, it seems as with light outerwear on, etc - they said that the NoS found their wallet and earbuds and things, and if it were the full standard security procedure, they would make you divest yourself of these things prior to entering the NoS, no?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by jds2001
From what the poster said, it seems as with light outerwear on, etc - they said that the NoS found their wallet and earbuds and things, and if it were the full standard security procedure, they would make you divest yourself of these things prior to entering the NoS, no?
This brings up my next point. How thoroughly were the wallet and other personal items searched, if at all? If you're going through the MMW in full gear and the gumby figure gets lots of yellow boxes, if at all. (I've forgotten my wallet before inside cargo pants, and the MMW gave me the green all clear. However when I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts watch out since the yellow boxes appear everywhere.) Do you just hold up your wallet and earbuds and the TSO nods approvingly? The poster said he was given a very cursory check, so I assume that means the items he took through the MMW weren't scrutinized.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Majuki
This brings up my next point. How thoroughly were the wallet and other personal items searched, if at all? If you're going through the MMW in full gear and the gumby figure gets lots of yellow boxes, if at all. (I've forgotten my wallet before inside cargo pants, and the MMW gave me the green all clear. However when I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts watch out since the yellow boxes appear everywhere.) Do you just hold up your wallet and earbuds and the TSO nods approvingly? The poster said he was given a very cursory check, so I assume that means the items he took through the MMW weren't scrutinized.
I wasn't in my suit at the time, so can't comment on the jacket thing.

When I wrote cursory, I meant it. Basically, I assumed the position, he put the back of his hand on the front of my shirt where the earbuds were (they were actually around my neck and under my shirt), and patted my back pocket where i had my wallet (don't know if it was front or back of hand). He could see my watch on one wrist and nike fuel band on the other. That was it. The entire "patdown" took just a few seconds.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:10 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I used TSA pre-check at JFK T8 (AA). More pax were being sent through the "other" machine--is this taking place at other airports?
PS: The TSA line was much shorter than two weeks ago. No more regular line diversions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.